U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM

179 posts, read 662,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Many Americans have fathers, grand fathers and great grand-fathers along down the line who died fighting for our country. Overwhelmingly, our ancestors kicked a** and took numbers; we won a lot of wars in the pursuit of worthwhile ideals. Lots of people struggled and died.

Even though many of us have grown up living easy Western lives, we have a very violent history as a people. Lots of sadness and emotion is intertwined in that.

Canadians, in general, cannot relate to this in any meaningful way.
What a ridiculous statement full of crap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rememberance_Day

Battle of Vimy Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1st Canadian Division - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

War of 1812 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conscription Crisis of 1917 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Military history of Canada during World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Korean War Memorial Wall (Canada) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM

908 posts, read 911,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I wonder if really it isn't more about the right to privacy for public figures and the philosophy that as long as someone does a good job, who cares where they were born, who they sleep with, etc. I find Canadians in general just aren't interested in the skeletons in the closets of politicians, movie stars, etc. If Canadian politicians have affairs, are gay, sleep around, smoke pot, whatever is considered less mainstream to regular society - the average Canadian couldn't care less. It is not a newsworthy subject. We don't have the equivalent rag magazines to publish everyone's dirt - nor would they sell anyways. It's much more of a "mind your own business/life/religion" mindset in Canada.
Yep. The only people who cared about Obama and the 'birther' garbage were backwoods stump-jumping numbskulls. Believe me. There wasn't one legitimate intelligent person who pursued that stuff to any significant extent. Not to be stereotypical but it was pretty plain it was a racial issue for most nutjobs.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 PM

908 posts, read 911,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampass View Post
Nobody in America gives a crap about the birther stuff. A few charlatans push it too make some moey,that's all.
Sadly only half-correct. Many people did care about that stuff. Let me rephrase - many idiots cared about that stuff.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'll try an answer. The average U.S. citizen places far more importance on appearance rather than substance.

Canadians on the other hand as an average would rather see a result than a mere illusion.
I think you are giving Canadians too much credit. While the location where someone was born may not be as important to Canadians as those south of our border, anyone running for PM that is not either Protestant or Catholic has zero chance of ever being elected in this country. Look into what was said about Stockwell Day when it broke that he was a Baptist. People were claiming that meant he believed humans hunted dinosaurs and that the earth was actually flat. That killed his chances a lot faster than any of the Reform platforms he was proposing.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,081 times
Quote:
Many Americans have fathers, grand fathers and great grand-fathers along down the line who died fighting for our country. Overwhelmingly, our ancestors kicked a** and took numbers; we won a lot of wars in the pursuit of worthwhile ideals. Lots of people struggled and died.

Even though many of us have grown up living easy Western lives, we have a very violent history as a people. Lots of sadness and emotion is intertwined in that.

You really need to bone up on Canadian Military History before making such ill-informed and offensive statements. The truth is that Canada has never lost a war in her history. That includes the War of 1812 when we not only kicked the asses of the Yankee invaders to keep them out of Canada, but we also captured and occupied your capital, and burned all Washington's public buildings including the original White House. But why bring up ancient history? For a more recent example of America's military defeat, one needs only to read about the Fall of Saigon. You certainly didn't come close to kicking any ass that day when the advancing North Vietnamese Army ran you out of South Vietnam like a bunch of scared rabbits.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I think you are giving Canadians too much credit. While the location where someone was born may not be as important to Canadians as those south of our border, anyone running for PM that is not either Protestant or Catholic has zero chance of ever being elected in this country. Look into what was said about Stockwell Day when it broke that he was a Baptist. People were claiming that meant he believed humans hunted dinosaurs and that the earth was actually flat. That killed his chances a lot faster than any of the Reform platforms he was proposing.
Wait a minute! Baptists are no longer Protestants?!? When did that happen?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,791,699 times
Quote:
I do remember Stockwell Day being mocked for potentially being a creationist, with the media taunting him about it with the Barney toy (for some reason I remember that), though how much that impacted his campaign is debatable. But I really don't think most Canadians care about a PM being Protestant or Catholic. If anything, I think openly showing religious beliefs in general in the political realm seems frowned upon here.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Wait a minute! Baptists are no longer Protestants?!? When did that happen?
I think he means Canada wouldn't elect an Evangelical, as Evangelicalism is a religious tradition with only a very small following in Canada and many would be suspicious of it as it's seen to cut against the grain of mainstream Canadian social values. This, of course, is a silly assertion as our current prime minister is a member of an Evangelical church which is very similar to a Baptist one.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Quote:

Perspective is a wonderful thing. I think that people and nations build mythologies around their histories to validate them. Hence, I think that you are partly right - what you call a 'worthwhile ideal' appears often to Canadians to be a terrible waste of time and life.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 PM

5,691 posts, read 6,535,324 times
Quote:
Stockwell Day did believe that men walked the earth with dinosaurs - as has already been pointed out, that still leaves him a Protestant. Stockwell Day killed Stockwell Day's chances of being PM. That man's picture is next to 'faux pas' in the dictionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I do remember Stockwell Day being mocked for potentially being a creationist, with the media taunting him about it with the Barney toy (for some reason I remember that), though how much that impacted his campaign is debatable. But I really don't think most Canadians care about a PM being Protestant or Catholic. If anything, I think openly showing religious beliefs in general in the political realm seems frowned upon here.
I agree with this - it wasn't his extremely conservative religious beliefs that sank him, it was foot-in-mouth disease. I think Day thought Canadians cared what he believed in, and I don't think Canadians did care. And when he talked about his faith as though it mattered to the election, most Canadians did a collective "hmmm" and shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot. I think his attempt to Americanize Canadian politics by marrying his faith to the election turned most people off. At our core, we are just not the kind of people who feel comfortable exposing our souls in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or