U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:20 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,325,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Stockwell Day did believe that men walked the earth with dinosaurs - as has already been pointed out, that still leaves him a Protestant. Stockwell Day killed Stockwell Day's chances of being PM. That man's picture is next to 'faux pas' in the dictionary.
The press blew this way out of proportion in the same way they blew up Al Gore's assertion that he "invented the internet". I wasn't a big fan of Stockwell Day, but nobody ever produced a direct quote where he stated such nonsense about humans hunting dinosaurs. That was an insinuation made by the liberal press when Day stated he was a Baptist, and was used to turn a rather ignorant Canadian public against him.

As for my original point, let me clarify... While Baptists may fall under the umbrella of Protestant theology, Canadians do not tolerate leaders that fall outside the Anglican or Presbyterian flavour of the religion, especially when such sects are perceived by the Canadian public to have originated somewhere in the southern Confederate states and/or to be somewhat evangelical in nature. I would assume that would also apply to any leaders that adhere to any strange variations of Catholicism that my be practiced (especially when one considers Quebec's arrogant attitude towards anyone outside their provincial borders).

For an example of the kind of religious intolerance practiced by Canadians, when my cousin told her non-denominational neighbour she was raised a Baptist, the neighbour replied "oh, you poor thing." I can assure you that neighbour would be unable to tell the difference between a Baptist, Anglican and Lutheran if her life depended on it.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,545,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The press blew this way out of proportion in the same way they blew up Al Gore's assertion that he "invented the internet". I wasn't a big fan of Stockwell Day, but nobody ever produced a direct quote where he stated such nonsense about humans hunting dinosaurs. That was an insinuation made by the liberal press when Day stated he was a Baptist, and was used to turn a rather ignorant Canadian public against him.

As for my original point, let me clarify... While Baptists may fall under the umbrella of Protestant theology, Canadians do not tolerate leaders that fall outside the Anglican or Presbyterian flavour of the religion, especially when such sects are perceived by the Canadian public to have originated somewhere in the southern Confederate states and/or to be somewhat evangelical in nature. I would assume that would also apply to any leaders that adhere to any strange variations of Catholicism that my be practiced (especially when one considers Quebec's arrogant attitude towards anyone outside their provincial borders).

For an example of the kind of religious intolerance practiced by Canadians, when my cousin told her non-denominational neighbour she was raised a Baptist, the neighbour replied "oh, you poor thing." I can assure you that neighbour would be unable to tell the difference between a Baptist, Anglican and Lutheran if her life depended on it.
Maybe it's a regional thing - more specifically, what Mennonites call an "English" thing, your reference to the Anglican flavour (I'm Mennonite). That sort of snobbery is, in my experience, something that the "English" directed at ethnic minorities for a long, long time, and in that sense, the Anglican religion was cultural.

As far as Day and dinosaurs are concerned, he believes the world is 6000 years old, created in accordance with the Genesis story in 6 days - which would scientifically suggest without him actually saying so specifically, that he believes humans and dinosaurs co-existed.

I think that Day made so many blunders, that yes, the press certainly mocked him.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,325,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Maybe it's a regional thing - more specifically, what Mennonites call an "English" thing, your reference to the Anglican flavour (I'm Mennonite). That sort of snobbery is, in my experience, something that the "English" directed at ethnic minorities for a long, long time, and in that sense, the Anglican religion was cultural.
I would think that kind of snobbery would be even more rife in Quebec, except with a Catholic bias. After all, it's not like Quebeckers have built a reputation for tolerance throughout their history.

Quote:
As far as Day and dinosaurs are concerned, he believes the world is 6000 years old, created in accordance with the Genesis story in 6 days - which would scientifically suggest without him actually saying so specifically, that he believes humans and dinosaurs co-existed.
Again, that was part of a smear campaign employed by the Liberals to make Day appear like some kind of religious wingnut. At no time in his career did Day ever publically bring up, much less debate his opinion on creationism. Within weeks of winning the Alliance leadership, Cretien called a snap election and quickly both identified Day with the Christian right, and accused Day of having a secret agenda as well as being homophobic and against abortion. Liberal activist Warren Kinsella then paraded out the Barney doll, whistled the Flintstones theme and accused Day of believing man hunted dinosaurs. During the election, the CBC ran a documentary attacking Day's religious beliefs and reported he once gave a speech at Red Deer College asserting his belief in young creationism. At no time was the alleged speech broadcast, nor was Day ever given the chance to defend himself against the allegations. Day ended up filing a fomal complaint with the CBC over the incident, but by then the seed was planted in the Canadian psyche that Day was some kind of weird religious nutter.

BTW, it should be noted that the Liberals ran a similar smear campaign against Harper in the last election, accusing him of wanting to ban gay marriage and abortion. To date, Harper has made no moves toward either of these alleged secret goals, despite having a majority government to do so.

Quote:
I think that Day made so many blunders, that yes, the press certainly mocked him.
Day made quite a few blunders during his campaign, but the dinosaur/human coexistance fiasco is the one he will always be remebered for. A great example of American-style politics at their finest.

***Edit*** I just wanted to point out that while the entire humans hunting dinosaur beliefs of some Christian sects is laughable, ALL Christians at the core of their religion believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie will grant you eternal life if you telepathically ask him for forgiveness of the sins imparted by the original woman who was guilty of being goaded into eating a forbidden fruit by a talking snake. The Catholics add symbolic cannibalism to this lunacy and believe the sacred host actually turns into the actual flesh of the cosmic zombie during Mass, and the sacred wine into his blood. Seriously.

Perhaps the Romans had it right and all Christians should be ridiculed as badly as Day was. It is really difficult to determine which sect is the craziest of the lot.

Last edited by Annuvin; 04-25-2012 at 01:33 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,165,626 times
**sigh**
Well. Not sure how this thread moved from the question about a Prime Minister being born on our soil to the assertion that the Romans had it right when "ridiculing" Christians (you realise they were persecuted and tortured not merely taunted right?) .

Last edited by sunshineleith; 04-28-2012 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or