U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM

218 posts, read 444,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
You seem to be claiming that a leader only puts forth a Canadian Identity when it's one you agree with.

Not to turn this into an argument in regards to the Conservative party, but they have taken meaningful stands on the international stage - particularly in regards to the Kyoto Accord, the UN small arms treaty etc. While I'm not taking a position on those actions, they can't really be considered anything but "standing up for Canada".
I would consider withdrawing from the Kyoto protocol standing up for corporations, not Canada, but anyway,

First of all, Harper won a "majority" with 24% of the vote (40% of the vote with a 60% voter turnout, a minority either way).
Second, most of his positions are clearly out of tune with the majority of Canadians'. A few examples:

-F-35 purchase (80% against)
-Drug policy (66% want legalization)
-Stance on prostitution (65% want legalization of brothels)
-Corporate tax cuts (59% want higher corporate taxes)
-Raising retirement age (57% against)
-Ignoring income inequality (64% willing to pay more in taxes, 83% want higher taxes on the rich)
-Restricting scientists' freedom of speech
-General anti-environmentalism
-The federal government will stop verifying nutrition claims on food labels.

Canadians were also very divided on the gun registry issue; there was no solid majority on either side.

Quote:
Approval rating of each leader
Stephen Harper 34%
Thomas Mulcair 32%
Bob Rae 32%

Disapproval rating of each leader:
Thomas Mulcair: 22%
Bob Rae: 41%
Stephen Harper: 58%
Forum poll from March 26-27, 2012
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 10:32 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post

First of all, Harper won a "majority" with 24% of the vote (40% of the vote with a 60% voter turnout, a minority either way).
Second, most of his positions are clearly out of tune with the majority of Canadians'. A few examples:
And Trudeau won a "majority" with 34% of the vote in 1968 and 30% in 1980.

Your second argument doesn't address my point at all. Trudeau was wildly out of step with much of Canada - he's not so different from Stephen Harper that way. He's absolutely vilified by some segments of the country and adored by others.

You're still assuming that popularity somehow equals vision. It doesn't. It may well be that Harper's vision of Canada isn't in step with most of the country, but in regards to the post you were responding to, it doesn't matter. I think you've made it clear that the Harper does indeed have a vision of Canadian Identity. Whether or not you or I agree with it is irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 AM

469 posts, read 602,008 times
I think Trudeau saw in Castro a kindred spirit - both viewed themselves as freedom fighters.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM

469 posts, read 602,008 times
I think a lot of Canadians wanted some sort of radical change in the late 1960s and Trudeau gave it to them. Perhaps he was a combination of Franklin Roosevelt and John Kennedy.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 PM

242 posts, read 438,905 times
Trudeau has always been a love hate Prime Minster. I personally thought he did a great job and agreed with many of views, especially socially.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
His attempts to wrest control of natural resource revenue from the provinces will forever tar him in the West, and is something I don't think his reputation will ever recover from. Nor, I think, will it recover from his implementation of the war measures act in Quebec.
Actually, his handling of the FLQ Crisis is the only thing I will ever give Trudeau credit for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or