U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,567,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckamuck View Post

.... Then I did some web searching of my own, found this place, read some older posts and found that the majority of posters here barely even considered Canada a Commonwealth country. Which made me wonder - why exactly do we remain one?
If you found that the majority of posters barely consider Canada a Commonwealth country then all that means is they were people who simply didn't know what the Commonwealth of Nations is.

I think it's a very good thing that you posted this topic here since it has exposed some prevailing ignorance and lack of education. Hopefully this topic will encourage other people who read it to educate themselves now about what the Commonwealth of Nations really is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 36,479 times
Personally I love the fact Canada is still part of the commonwealth, it's romantic and it's not like the king/queen is suddenly gonna seize power.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,149,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk_talk View Post
Personally I love the fact Canada is still part of the commonwealth, it's romantic and it's not like the king/queen is suddenly gonna seize power.
Yeah, plus you get to participate in the Commonwealth Games!

Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 PM

353 posts, read 803,212 times
The Commonwealth of Nations is a good idea. Even the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and the Republic of India, who desperately wanted out of the British Empire, willingly joined the Commonwealth of Nations. And if guys who didn't like the Brits willlingly accepted joining a Brit-sponsored commonwealth in the London Declaration, it can't be all that bad

Old 04-16-2012, 08:11 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Even if Canada were to become a Republic there's no reason it needs to leave the Commonwealth. I feel the same way about Australia.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
This is true... I mean there is a reason us Americans tend to strap Canadian flags to our backpacks when we travel
Who's this "us"? Definitely not me, or any American I've yet to meet. I've seen several American flags here, and not a single Canadian one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
How exactly do you understand that? Living in the UK I have met many Aussis and tons of Britons - (no Kiwis yet!) None of them seemed confused.

As to your question, what would the perceptions or misperceptions of others have to do with us remaining in the Commonwealth?

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.
I think it's because to most people, Canadians sound the same as Americans. My Brit fiancee thought the same, it took me 2 years of explaining to her that Canadians definitely speak differently, and now she knows the difference Always listen out for words like house and about, they are the easiest sounds to pick up. Most Canadians I've had the pleasure of meeting had a bit of the Rick Mercer thing going on, to varying degrees.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,153,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Even if Canada were to become a Republic there's no reason it needs to leave the Commonwealth. I feel the same way about Australia.
Didn't know the Queen needn't be recognized as HOS to be in the Commonwealth

Old 05-06-2012, 07:01 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,149,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Didn't know the Queen needn't be recognized as HOS to be in the Commonwealth
No, countries like India with their own President still are members of the Commonwealth. I guess any former colony can be one.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:42 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

I think it's because to most people, Canadians sound the same as Americans. My Brit fiancee thought the same, it took me 2 years of explaining to her that Canadians definitely speak differently, and now she knows the difference Always listen out for words like house and about, they are the easiest sounds to pick up. Most Canadians I've had the pleasure of meeting had a bit of the Rick Mercer thing going on, to varying degrees.
What is the Rick Mercer thing exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or