U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 32,257 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am a newbie to forum so first thing first "Hello everyone"

About to be relocated to St Johns Newfoundland and Labrador. Haven't been to the place yet I have a few questions hope you can help please.

We would like to rent a place in downtown. We are a small family of me, my husband and a little west highland dog. What sort of price tag am I looking at for maybe a two bed terrace? I've seen a few some options if we pay approx $400 on top of the monthly rent that will include utilities as well but generally does it cost around that for gas and electricity?

My husband has already got a job offered. I still want to look for one. I am in IT. What is the job market like in St Johns? I don't have a Canadian qualifications. I have a master degree in IT from an British university I don't know if that would mean annoying being that it's not from a North American university.

I think that's it for now I have more questions but I gather that accommodation and a job are the top on my list right now.

Thank you very much

Peddie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 AM

233 posts, read 451,343 times
This condo downtown for rent has 1 bedroom and is $1,400 a month, it is fully furnished though with a washer and dryer along with a parking spot.
Unit 16, 117 Queen's Road, St John's - St. John's 1 bedroom Apartments & Condos For Rent - Kijiji St. John's

It may actually be cheaper to look at purchasing a home then renting one.

I doubt you'd have to hard of a time getting a job but I don't know what the IT industry is like in St. John's.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:34 AM

Hi there thanks a lot that's a useful website. I wonder if we can get a mortgage tho as a newcomer maybe we can't?

Peddie

Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM

233 posts, read 451,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNH View Post
Hi there thanks a lot that's a useful website. I wonder if we can get a mortgage tho as a newcomer maybe we can't?

Peddie
I'm not sure what the rules around being able to get a mortgage are.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 AM

Hello,
Could I ask roughy how much it costs for electricity bill, water bill, broadband etc...? I just want to compare with some furnished rental comes with cap heating bills etc i dont know if it's a good deal or not
Hope you can advice

Many thanks

Peddie

Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 PM

18,263 posts, read 10,366,114 times
I cannot furnish you with real estate info but can endorse your choice to move there.

You are going to be on the cusp of some boom times for NL as the huge Alcan smelter is being built that will process all ore for China usage and the electricity supply line from Labrador will come across the "Rock" to re-enter Canada that will even supply some of the north eastern U.S.

Be prepared to be amongst the most friendly people on this planet. The very people who opened up their homes to thousands of stranded U.S. citizens when flights into U.S. airspace were stopped during the 9/11 attacks. My wife and I toured the city of St Johns this summer as one of the ports of call on an Atlantic crossing cruise from Harwick. We were simply amazed at the friendliness of EVERYBODY there.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Thank you v much

Old 04-28-2012, 05:30 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,062 times
You are likely to find that the weather is tough to handle, though. St. John's may be recommended for a few reasons, but weather is certainly not one of them.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:59 AM

That's what I heard we are gonna pack lots of layers.

I'm also uncertain whether to buy a car or rent one for the first few months would appreciate any suggestions

Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,032,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNH View Post
That's what I heard we are gonna pack lots of layers.

I'm also uncertain whether to buy a car or rent one for the first few months would appreciate any suggestions
You'll probably want to buy or to lease one not long after arrival. Renting is very likely cost prohibitive unless your husband's employer is picking up all or most of the tab.

Tip: Get an American Express card now and start building up your credit history with them. Then when you transfer to Canada, you should be able to transfer your American Express card to Canada provided that you've been a member for at least three months. Upon transferring the card, you'll be able to start building Canadian credit history straight away.

The lack of Canadian credit history might make things like leasing cars, getting utilities, and gaining access to credit in its various forms generally an enormous pain in the behind. These things will will still be a challenge, but once you get to Newfoundland, get a Canadian American Express charge/credit card, and then possibly get a separately issued Canadian credit card, it will become markedly easier for you to do normal things like access credit when people in Canada can take a look at your credit history and payment experience in a Canadian credit file. I'd recommend that both you and your husband get American Express cards if you've got at least three months with which to work right now.

When do you anticipate making the move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or