U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 03:13 PM

7 posts, read 36,532 times

Advertisements

Vancouver is quite a bit closer to the US, 20mi/35km vs Toronto's 60mi/110 km, however the part of the US Vancouver borders is very rural while the Golden Horseshoe runs into Buffalo.

The Canadian accent seems stronger in Toronto to my ears though in both cities it varies based on the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:00 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,116,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk_talk View Post
The Canadian accent seems stronger in Toronto to my ears though in both cities it varies based on the individual.
Many people in Van. are from TO so that might explain it.

I feel like Van. is more influenced by the US. I say that because the west coast feels more American to me.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:24 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,493,596 times
I agree, but it's still quite Canadian and in certain specific respects I feel like Vancouver has more homegrown influence and less American influence, such as in its urban form and its very local focus that comes from its geographical isolation.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 AM

7,254 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk_talk View Post
Vancouver is quite a bit closer to the US, 20mi/35km vs Toronto's 60mi/110 km, however the part of the US Vancouver borders is very rural while the Golden Horseshoe runs into Buffalo.

I guess I'd have to say Toronto may be more influenced by USA - if at all. I don't think Vancouver is influenced by USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Many people in Van. are from TO so that might explain it.

I feel like Van. is more influenced by the US. I say that because the west coast feels more American to me.
Funny how people's perspectives can be so different.

You say the west coast feels more American to you, and I've always felt the west coast states feel more Canadian to me .... that is to say Alaska, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, northern California. The rest of America east of the Rockies has always seemed so very foreign to me.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,493,596 times
I suppose it all depends on what ones reference point for "Canadian" is.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 PM

353 posts, read 804,170 times
Vancouver and Seattle influence each other as they're the two largest cities in the Pacific Northwest. A unified eco-geography (Cascadia), similiar accents (Pacific Northwest English IMO), similar industries (electronics and forestry, to name a few). Here in Bellingham we feel that mutual influence very much thanks to our Canadian friends crossing the border to shop at Bellis Fair lol.

By comparison, Toronto, I think, has very little influence on the other US Great Lakes cities like Chicago and Detroit, with the possible exception of Buffalo, Buffalo being an honorary part of the Golden Horseshoe. I think also Detroit exerts way more manufacturing influence on the Windsor-Toronto corridor than vice-versa.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:13 AM

2,091 posts, read 1,459,600 times
Our collective noses are pressed right up against the giant window that is USA, only a deluded fool would think otherwise.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM

88 posts, read 159,282 times
Toronto for sure. Toronto isn't even Canadian to me. It's an american city with american accents living in Canada IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada