Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:49 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times

Advertisements

I am interested what is was like going through the application process for the Nexus border pass.
Also, once you got it what is it like crossing the border both ways going through the Nexus lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:26 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Yes - I've applied for it recently and got it.
The application (online) is quite extensive. You can also apply with a paper application, but you still need to set up an online account with GOES. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to fill out.

Once you fill it out, you need to keep watching your online account for an announcement that they've accepted your application. (You should also get an email, but keep checking just in case.) It took about 5 weeks for them to process mine. Once they've processed and accepted it, you need to schedule an appointment at one of the Canadian border crossings. Nexus only works with Canada, so a southern border office won't work. There's some cooperation with SENTRI (the Mexico card). If you have one, you can apply for the other. But they are two different systems.

For NEXUS You schedule your appointment online with the Canadian border office. Once you've been approved, there will be a button in your messages to click on - SCHEDULE APPT. This gives you all the options across the Northern US border where you can meet with the border agents. Some of them are 3 months out, so it may be worth it to fly to an outlying office with closer interview times.

The interview was pretty easy. The agents were pleasant and efficient where I went. They will look over your application, ask questions, and may ask to see proof of citizenship -- see the list online for the details of what you may want to bring with you, just in case (utility bill, mortgage or rent statement, etc.). The appointment takes 15-20 minutes. Then they fingerprint you, take a picture of you, take a photo of your iris - your eye - and you're on your way. Another week or so passes and you get your Nexus Card in the mail.

If you're in a hurry, get the application filled out right away. You can expect 2-3 months from start to finish. It may be sooner, but it's a good idea to plan for the longer time just in case they get a backlog.

Once you've got your card, remember it's set up mostly for Leisure travel. You can use it to travel on business, but cannot bring in items for sale or more than a couple of brochures or flyers with you. If you are going on business with products, get in the regular lanes because you still need to declare those. Even in the regular lanes, the NEXUS card will help you get through faster because you're pre-screened. But you can't go through the NEXUS fast lanes with declared items. (I'm repeating myself, because this is important...)

The NEXUS card covers flying, driving or crossing in a boat. When the lines are long at customs no matter how you are coming into the country, you can follow the Nexus lines, which go more quickly. The Trusted Traveler Program is supposed to be expanded so it may come in handy down the road if you travel a lot.

They were very clear about guarding your card and not misusing the privileges. You can have your card rescinded if you try and use the NEXUS lanes for unauthorized uses. If you have a NEXUS card and your traveling companion doesn't they tell you to both go through the regular lanes. If you aren't sure if you need to declare the goods you have with you, go through the regular lanes. So it's not always a guarantee. However, as I said, with the card, once you get to the agent in a regular lane, you can still show them the NEXUS card, declare your items, and be on your way faster.

This page has a lot more information: U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
The other perk that Cowgirl didn't mention, is that NEXUS is recognized as part of Global Entry for entering the US from points of origin other than Canada. You cannot overlook this benefit if you've ever tried to land at OHare on an international flight. Instead of 1hr ++, you're maybe 5 minutes.

You get the benefits of Global Entry, plus access to Canada for half the price of Global Entry (which is $100. NEXUS is $50). The iris scan is only used in Canada, not the States. The NEXUS card basically contains all of your passport information for entry to the US.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:17 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,957 times
Also locally.. in Western New York you get an extra bridge to use when crossing.

Whirlpool bridge is Nexus only.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Thanks for the replies, especially R_cowgirl. very good information.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Yes - I've applied for it recently and got it.
The application (online) is quite extensive. You can also apply with a paper application, but you still need to set up an online account with GOES. It only takes about 10-15 minutes to fill out.

Once you fill it out, you need to keep watching your online account for an announcement that they've accepted your application. (You should also get an email, but keep checking just in case.) It took about 5 weeks for them to process mine. Once they've processed and accepted it, you need to schedule an appointment at one of the Canadian border crossings. Nexus only works with Canada, so a southern border office won't work. There's some cooperation with SENTRI (the Mexico card). If you have one, you can apply for the other. But they are two different systems.

For NEXUS You schedule your appointment online with the Canadian border office. Once you've been approved, there will be a button in your messages to click on - SCHEDULE APPT. This gives you all the options across the Northern US border where you can meet with the border agents. Some of them are 3 months out, so it may be worth it to fly to an outlying office with closer interview times.

The interview was pretty easy. The agents were pleasant and efficient where I went. They will look over your application, ask questions, and may ask to see proof of citizenship -- see the list online for the details of what you may want to bring with you, just in case (utility bill, mortgage or rent statement, etc.). The appointment takes 15-20 minutes. Then they fingerprint you, take a picture of you, take a photo of your iris - your eye - and you're on your way. Another week or so passes and you get your Nexus Card in the mail.

If you're in a hurry, get the application filled out right away. You can expect 2-3 months from start to finish. It may be sooner, but it's a good idea to plan for the longer time just in case they get a backlog.

Once you've got your card, remember it's set up mostly for Leisure travel. You can use it to travel on business, but cannot bring in items for sale or more than a couple of brochures or flyers with you. If you are going on business with products, get in the regular lanes because you still need to declare those. Even in the regular lanes, the NEXUS card will help you get through faster because you're pre-screened. But you can't go through the NEXUS fast lanes with declared items. (I'm repeating myself, because this is important...)

The NEXUS card covers flying, driving or crossing in a boat. When the lines are long at customs no matter how you are coming into the country, you can follow the Nexus lines, which go more quickly. The Trusted Traveler Program is supposed to be expanded so it may come in handy down the road if you travel a lot.

They were very clear about guarding your card and not misusing the privileges. You can have your card rescinded if you try and use the NEXUS lanes for unauthorized uses. If you have a NEXUS card and your traveling companion doesn't they tell you to both go through the regular lanes. If you aren't sure if you need to declare the goods you have with you, go through the regular lanes. So it's not always a guarantee. However, as I said, with the card, once you get to the agent in a regular lane, you can still show them the NEXUS card, declare your items, and be on your way faster.

This page has a lot more information: U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel
Great stuff - thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
For me one of the best things about it.. They have my Amex on file so when I crossed back into Canada, I was given a booklet and I self declare my purchases, you drop it in a box, right before driving to the booth..

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Kenhawk; don't wish to hi-jak your posted question but I have one of my own to add if folks can answer it.

As "snowbirds", we own a property in Florida and have previously driven down each winter but now have a car registered and tagged down there and wish to fly down instead. Would this be of measurable benefit to us considering the following:

We do not transport any goods such as duty free booze tobacco and limit our carrying to a "notebook" computer and personal hygiene items with carry-on only.
We would very probably not check any luggage as all clothing, golf clubs etc., are duplicated down there anyway.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Basically NEXUS allows you to jump the queue. There's a line for everyone, and there's a line for NEXUS, as being admitted to NEXUS you've been pre-screened. The benefit is up to you, but I don't see it as much of a burden for $50 per person for a decade. Beats standing in half hour + long lines waiting at the airport.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Basically NEXUS allows you to jump the queue. There's a line for everyone, and there's a line for NEXUS, as being admitted to NEXUS you've been pre-screened. The benefit is up to you, but I don't see it as much of a burden for $50 per person for a decade. Beats standing in half hour + long lines waiting at the airport.
Pre-screening is a good time saver, provided it foregoes that invasive TSA crud, otherwise I don't see the benefit. If so; $50 for TEN years; whoa nelly. Pity our passports couldn't be of the same longevity.

Methinks we'll get on the application process right away.

Thanks for the come-back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada