U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 08:58 AM

398 posts, read 584,595 times

Advertisements

Just for fun my hubby and I were chatting about the crazy amount of TV Americans watch on average (approx. 4+ hours/day) and how few people are actually outdoors doing things. We've toyed with the idea of moving to Canada before and may eventually end up there someday and among may more important subjects on the topic, we're wondering if the sedentary-like situation is any different over there. Do the Canadians spend more time outdoors, or even indoors doing other hobbies than watching TV?

And instead of making this another Canada vs. US thread, maybe we'll just talk about Canada, rather than bashing the US for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,463,504 times
I'm not sure if it would be drastically different. However, people in my area really love going out and camping and walking around in the spring and summer. A lot of people are in to winter sports like skidooing, but I never really got in to that. I think it will depend what parts of Canada you're interested in. Places like BC and Northern Ontario would be up your alley for outdoorsyness, probably.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM

364 posts, read 1,012,428 times
If you don't want a 'sedentary life' then you just don't lead one. There are so many options in every community, US or Canada. We recently moved to NJ from Ontario and found a stronger emphasis here on sports programs and was also pleasantly suprised at the great parks, hiking and fishing opportunites nearby. The schools here seem to have less emphasis on physical activity, but more kids seem to be involved in after-school sports.

There are many articles on the Internet (like this one (http://movingtoanapartment.com/apartment-hunting/get-fit-in-the-10-most-active-cities.htm - broken link)) that list the most active cities in the US. There are similar articles on Canada as well, I believe Vancouver was top in the last article I read about it.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM

398 posts, read 584,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
If you don't want a 'sedentary life' then you just don't lead one. There are so many options in every community, US or Canada. We recently moved to NJ from Ontario and found a stronger emphasis here on sports programs and was also pleasantly suprised at the great parks, hiking and fishing opportunites nearby. The schools here seem to have less emphasis on physical activity, but more kids seem to be involved in after-school sports.

There are many articles on the Internet (like this one (http://movingtoanapartment.com/apartment-hunting/get-fit-in-the-10-most-active-cities.htm - broken link)) that list the most active cities in the US. There are similar articles on Canada as well, I believe Vancouver was top in the last article I read about it.
Awesome, thanks for the link Luhts. I'll have to check for a Canadian one. I ask because my hubby is very active (I'm becoming more active as well) and if we indeed decide to move to Canada for work reasons, it'd be great to know in advance what kind of environment we're getting into.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM

18,370 posts, read 10,441,779 times
It's just as has been said above: you're in control.

We are retired Candians who snowbird 5 months at a residence we purchased in a retirement community in Florida and cannot begin to tell you how active those folks are and how active we've become while down there.

Our home in Canada is semi-rural that we have lived in since the early seventies and activity while up here needs us to initiate it while down south someone's always knocking on the door to play a round of golf. It's a "rut" thing; up here we're still in our previous working life "rut" while down there it's fresh slate.

We are now making the conscious attempt here in Canada to stimulate activity as though we're still down in that community where everyone senses their days are numbered and best make the most of them while still able.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 AM

64 posts, read 142,148 times
Don't know much about Canada, but you might want to look into Denver, CO. Very active city by American standards. Everyone I knew there seemed pretty fit and was into some sort of outdoor hobby. Also very big on sports.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:00 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,520,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Robot View Post
Don't know much about Canada, but you might want to look into Denver, CO. Very active city by American standards. Everyone I knew there seemed pretty fit and was into some sort of outdoor hobby. Also very big on sports.
This is true of Vancouver, BC as well, whereas cities like Sudbury might be on average less active. I think it's true to say this can often be a regional thing as opposed to a strictly national trait.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM

21,987 posts, read 27,469,615 times
Canada is not necessarily more conducive to an active lifestyle than the U.S. is.

Consider that much of the year in many parts of Canada is cool and rainy with temperatures just above freezing. Not exactly weather that makes you want to get out and do stuff.

Snowy weather which you will find in most of the country is conducive to outdoor winter sports but it is not everyone's cup of tea and many Canadians "hibernate" indoors during the winter and only venture outside to work and do errands.

Contrast this with the southern half of the U.S. which, to most people's liking, offers much more favourable conditions for outdoor activities for a much longer period of the year.

None of this is necessarily indicative of my personal behaviour (since I partake in winter and summer sports), but general what I observe out there. And even I don't do much outdoors in the transitional cool and rainy periods in early spring and late autumn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada