U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 10,572 times

Advertisements

Why does it seems that a lot of Euro-canadians resent Native people, whenever, they complain about Canadian government violating the rights of their people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 05:59 AM

1,861 posts, read 1,870,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey506 View Post
Why does it seems that a lot of Euro-canadians resent Native people, whenever, they complain about Canadian government violating the rights of their people
I don't know about that. I guess maybe it depends on what part of Canada you're in and who is complaining about who ???

There is a strong First Nations culture and presence in this province - there are more tribes and more native languages spoken in BC than in any other province in Canada and they have quite a strong voice in the political affairs in BC. To my knowledge most people of other cultures in BC are sympathetic to First Nations endeavours and take pride in the fact that there is a strong First Nations presence here.

First Nations Peoples of British Columbia
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/abed/map.htm

British Columbia Assembly of First Nations
http://www.bcafn.ca/

Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 AM

3,613 posts, read 3,416,655 times
Please clarify exactly what you mean. This is a very complicated set of issues that is often specific to region, the specific Aboriginal cultures in question, the province, and the aspect of life we're talking about. There's sometimes conflicts regarding unresolved treaty rights in one area, there's issues surrounding fishing rights conflicts, inner city crime, resource development, internal tribal political conflict and corruption, smuggling activities etc... There's nothing cut an dried about the huge number of things you're bringing up and you'd have to narrow your focus before we could discuss this intelligently.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 AM

1,132 posts, read 921,056 times
I think Bimbam and Zoisite have touched on the complexity and regionality of this issue enough that it should be clear that it's not a cut and dried Canadian issue - rather it's a number of separate issues or non-issues, depending on region.

I will, however, make an effort to explain the issues surrounding my particular region (the prairies, particularly the Southwestern part of Saskatchewan and southern Alberta).

There is, clearly, an issue with First Nations disenfranchisement across the prairies. Why this is, and how it came to be is somewhat of a point of contention among people here today. While some tribes were essentially conquered, others never fought a definite war against the British and signed treaties as definite foreign states (much as Germany ceded control of African colonies to Britain after WWI, the Blackfoot ceded much of southern Alberta to Britain via various treaties.

There is some speculation, not without merit, that the treaty process has hurt first nations more than it has helped. That is, they've been reduced to puppet peoples, dependent on Ottawa for handouts, and have created a culture of handout and waste, so to speak, that carries on well beyond Ottawa based handouts (Hobbema, AB, for example).

There is a large amount of resentment in regards to the preferential treatment First Nations get, or are percieved to get (Whether in regards to treaty rights or other deals). Many people feel that the current rights granted have outstripped the granted treaty rights.

Personally, I see it as a failure on both sides. I see a failure on the part of the gov't to anticipate FN spending requirements, and I see a failure of FN leaders to push for self sufficiency, rather than dependance on the gov't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada