U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 AM

12 posts, read 14,798 times

Advertisements

Anybody know of any weird sayings or words that are used where you live? I don't mean like "eh?" or "aboot" either.

Quote:
dog wettin' - idling or wasting time in futile pursuits; "f*ckin' the dog" is also used. Figuratively speaking, of course.
dooryard - The exterior area of a home surrounding the most commonly used entryway, typically the driveway area;
downriver - Cardinal point: south.
flat - The term flat is occasionally used to refer to a packaged case of twenty-four canned beer.
two-four - A commercially packaged box of 24 beer bottles.
flog - to pawn or sell.
flush - Toilet;
f*ck-all - Absence, nothingness, devoid of substance; d*ck-all is also used
giv'er - To put extra emphasis into an activity, esp. a physical activity; giv'in'er
jigging - To commit the act of truancy, i.e., to play hookey or skip school;
outback - Cardinal point: east; sometimes referring to the backyard
overcross - Cardinal point: west. Also used to describe any location within the State of Maine;
p*ss-cut - Most often used in the gerundive form "p*ss-cuttin'". The term denotes excessive speed, associated with recklessness or an out-of-control situation;
potlicker - a dog.
upriver - Cardinal point: north.
right- Exceedingly; to a high degree; essentially, "very" or "really"; a common modifier used to emphasize practically anything; "Some" is also used.
rubbers - Wellingtons/rubber boots, short for "gum-rubbers";
unthaw - Constant inverse of "thaw,"
I'm from Carleton County, New Brunswick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,541,240 times
Are you saying that the words you've copied are Canadianisms? Because aside from the two-four, the rest aren't exclusive to Canada.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Are you saying that the words you've copied are Canadianisms? Because aside from the two-four, the rest aren't exclusive to Canada.
No. lol

I was curious about local slang, was all. Those are said in NB. I was wondering about the rest of the country.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:37 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
"tickety-boo" meaning "fine and dandy"

Common in the Ottawa Valley - not sure about the rest of Canada or other countries.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"tickety-boo" meaning "fine and dandy"

Common in the Ottawa Valley - not sure about the rest of Canada or other countries.
Does it really? haha

See, that's what I mean. Random odd words that few people would understand. I didn't mean for the thread to start out so harshly.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,690,565 times
I first heard the word 'chesterfield' used for couch or sofa when I lived in Canada. Might not be as popular now but it completely confused me when I first heard it.

Others which I consider mostly unique to Canada: deke, tuque, loonie, toonie, Molson Muscle, Timbits, garburator, pop (for soft drinks/soda), homo milk, mickey (small bottle of booze), pogie, francophone, allophone, anglophone, hydro (for electricity), bunnyhug (hoodie sweater), skidoo, crazy carpet, BC Bud, housecoat, Jesus Murphy.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM

329 posts, read 794,175 times
I would say the province with the most slang is probably Newfoundland. They say "bye" a lot lol.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:13 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
"Skookum" in an adjective for something good or solid in BC. Usually used to describe a nice object, like a boat. It's from old chinook jargon trading language, and other local words from that language that entered local English (I looked this up after I learned about a few of these words from a friend) are "Masi" for thank you which was a loan word from French "Merci" before being adopted to English through Chinook. There's "Iktus" for junk, "Chuck" for water, "Cheechako" for newcomer, and "Muckamuck" for big boss which is the only word I'd heard of before coming to BC. Seems to me the only people who use these Chinook words are from rural BC, Lower Mainlanders don't seem to use them. I also never heard of parking garages being referred to as "Parkades" until I moved out West. I'd actually never encountered the word Parkade before at all.

In Quebec we mostly had loanwords from French we used when speaking English, which were commonly used in place of the normal English words. So Depanneur always replaces corner store, Guichet usually replaces ATM, and people "close" or "open" the light instead of turning it on or off.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:27 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,654,330 times
Bunnyhug, in reference to a hooded sweathsirt springs to mind as the eternal Saskatchewanism. That, or s**t disturber - in reference to someone who stirs up, well...

Old 04-14-2012, 05:21 AM

Has anyone heard the term 'dooryard' before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada