U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,521,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
I am a 26 yr old male who will be traveling alone and am finally gonna visit Canada !! I am excited but am stuck between going to Montreal or Toronto ?

I am a foodie and LIVE to try new foods ! I also enjoy seeing diversity and how it plays out in different parts of the world. Basically my main attractions are culture and food ..

I am coming from NYC ...which one should I go to ??? Which one would I take more out of ??

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated !!!
I'd usually recommend Montreal for food, but it's best for excellent simple fare. Deli, bagels, very good quality everyday meals etc. For fine dining from around the world, I think you'd prefer Toronto. Since you're so interested in diversity, Toronto is the more diverse city, although Montreal is diverse as well, with particularly good Arab and Vietnamese fare. On the whole, Toronto would be better for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM

43 posts, read 156,545 times
When it comes to food, I would vote for Montreal. Toronto is great and diverse but very spread out. Montreal, on the other hand, is dense and lives for food. It is a city of foodies, and you will not be disappointed.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM

242 posts, read 440,101 times
I live north of Toronto. Have visited Montreal several times. Both cities offer great food. Montreal is like a mini-Paris atmosphere. It's got that french vibe to it, the buildings are very old, cobblestone walk-ways, lots of outdoor patios, incredible chefs, etc. It's a great city. Coming from NYC, you might enjoy Montreal more because of the European feel to it. Toronto is closer to your usual big American city.

Toronto wins on diversity (most diverse city in the world), it's bigger, has the best shopping malls/ theme parks/tallest buildings in Canada. I have enjoyed incredible meals in both cities so regardless of what one you choose... you will be happy.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I live north of Toronto. Have visited Montreal several times. Both cities offer great food. Montreal is like a mini-Paris atmosphere. It's got that french vibe to it, the buildings are very old, cobblestone walk-ways, lots of outdoor patios, incredible chefs, etc. It's a great city. Coming from NYC, you might enjoy Montreal more because of the European feel to it. Toronto is closer to your usual big American city.

Toronto wins on diversity (most diverse city in the world), it's bigger, has the best shopping malls/ theme parks/tallest buildings in Canada. I have enjoyed incredible meals in both cities so regardless of what one you choose... you will be happy.
I actually think Montreal, architecturally, has much more of a New York + London influence than a Parisian one. Except for a few very old colonial buildings and the religious buildings, Montreal's old European architecture is the architecture of 19th century Britain, not France.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM

21,989 posts, read 27,481,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I actually think Montreal, architecturally, has much more of a New York + London influence than a Parisian one. Except for a few very old colonial buildings and the religious buildings, Montreal's old European architecture is the architecture of 19th century Britain, not France.
I agree that the whole Paris-in-America thing is overdone. Montreal is really a mix of architectural styles. Some of it is New-Yorkish, some London-ish and some Paris-ish (think of St-Denis south of Sherbrooke for example). Also, the old part of the city - which is what sticks out for most tourists - has a definite French feel to it, although it is more typical of smaller cities in France than of Paris. Paris may have looked like this at some point but grandiose Hausmannian projects did away with all of that.

Also, the outdoor, often spiral, staircases thay you see all over the city are simply typical Montreal and aren't really borrowed from any other city as far as I know...

Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 PM

38,901 posts, read 20,219,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I agree that the whole Paris-in-America thing is overdone. Montreal is really a mix of architectural styles. Some of it is New-Yorkish, some London-ish and some Paris-ish (think of St-Denis south of Sherbrooke for example). Also, the old part of the city - which is what sticks out for most tourists - has a definite French feel to it, although it is more typical of smaller cities in France than of Paris. Paris may have looked like this at some point but grandiose Hausmannian projects did away with all of that.

Also, the outdoor, often spiral, staircases thay you see all over the city are simply typical Montreal and aren't really borrowed from any other city as far as I know...
Thanks for the info. I just booked my trip to Toronto for this summer as I had reservations about coming to Montreal during the time of turmoil and rioting. One of these days I'll get to visit Montreal *sigh*

Old 06-02-2012, 04:12 AM

735 posts, read 857,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thanks for the info. I just booked my trip to Toronto for this summer as I had reservations about coming to Montreal during the time of turmoil and rioting. One of these days I'll get to visit Montreal *sigh*
wise choice

you will have your chances in the near future when this place turns into a cheap banana republic....right now its all about corruption and revolution

Old 06-03-2012, 09:19 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,573,857 times
Yes if you only visit one city, Montreal would be it. Just far more unique. I think you could do both in 7 days and even have time to check out Niagara Falls if you haven't seen it. But then again, if you stay in Montreal you can check out Quebec City and Ottawa so that sounds like a better option.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,603,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I think you made a good choice Chatty. Toronto really id an awesome city to visit. If you have the time take a day trip down here to Niagara Falls. It's worth the trip for sure. Lots to do and see.

I'm sure all Canadians will be proud to host the famous Queen of Chat.
Have a great time while here!!!!!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:24 PM

38,901 posts, read 20,219,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I think you made a good choice Chatty. Toronto really id an awesome city to visit. If you have the time take a day trip down here to Niagara Falls. It's worth the trip for sure. Lots to do and see.

I'm sure all Canadians will be proud to host the famous Queen of Chat.
Have a great time while here!!!!!
Hehe! I wonder if Canada can "handle" the Queen of Chat

I was planning on doing a day trip or so into Niagara Falls as part of my trip ... Can't leave Ontario without doing that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada