Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2012, 12:27 PM

24 posts, read 34,933 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move to Vancouver, Canada next year. I was wondering how deaf people are treated in Canada. I speak and read lips very well. I'm more involved in the hearing culture rather than the deaf culture. I am curious if there are any open captioned movie theater in Vancouver. And also, I sign too. Should I need to learn French sign language? Any replies that has to do with deaf people in Canada are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 07:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
I was as deaf as a doorknob for the past 10 years and very hard of hearing before that for about 15 years. I read lips very well and managed to get by. I found services for the deaf are not very good at all. I was never able to find a theatre with CC.

Last Decenber I got a cochlear implant and as amazing as it seems I can now hear almost perfectly. One fact about the implants that I found really interesting is that almost all deaf people, over 90% of them are good canditates for the proceedure. When you move to Canada the first thing I would do is to find out if you are a good prospect for a CI. Our healthcare programme completely covers the entire expense. The hardware is worth over $20,000 and it's covered. All the hospital bills are covered and the only expense you have is transportation to and from the medical center where you get the surgery done.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:57 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie74 View Post
I'm hoping to move to Vancouver, Canada next year. I was wondering how deaf people are treated in Canada. I speak and read lips very well. I'm more involved in the hearing culture rather than the deaf culture. I am curious if there are any open captioned movie theater in Vancouver. And also, I sign too. Should I need to learn French sign language? Any replies that has to do with deaf people in Canada are welcome.
ASL is the predominant sign language in Canada. There is a French-based sign language called LSQ which is used in Quebec but you won't really find that in Vancouver.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 PM

24 posts, read 34,933 times
Theaters with CC are very hard to find here in Indiana too. I guess it's the same everywhere. I have consider getting cochlear implant, but here in US, we have to pay out of pocket. Most insurance don't cover it. It's easier to get hearing aids and cochlear implants in Canada as a Canadian citizen. Are you treated poorly by the hearing people or more fairly in Canada? I'm not your typical deaf person. Most people were surprised how well I speak. I have a couple deaf friends, and the rest are hearing. So you can see that I'm with hearing people everyday. Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada