U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times

Advertisements

Canadian actors on American TV usually ditch the accent and go for American Standard, which actually tends to be closer to most Canadian accents than American ones anyways. Some Canadians think we watch all the same shows as Americans, but now that I have access to American shows on the Internet I see that's largely untrue. Canadians tend to watch the big budget American series that play on the Networks, HBO, and some of the MTV series. As for noticing Canadian actors, that would depend on the individual, but I know my mother would always point out to me which actors on an American series were from Canada. I've read numerous articles on new hit series where they will make a point to mention if there's any talent on the show from our country, probably in an attempt to make us feel like it's not just a foreign program, it's something we can feel like partners in. For example, pretty much everyone n Canada knows that Kiefer Sutherland is Canadian even though he doesn't play one on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,921 times
Sometimes I'll be watching an American show and get a whiff of a Canadian accent and when I check them out on IMDB, 9 times out of 10 they are Canadian (or from Minnesota!) One example is "V" - not sure what it is but I immediately thought that "Lisa" (Laura Vandervoort) and "Marcus" (Christopher Shyer) sounded Canadian (and when I looked them oup they turned out to be both from Ontario) but the accents on television are getting ever more generic and a lot of the time it is really tough to tell!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:17 AM

469 posts, read 602,008 times
There are least three American network programs, all on ABC, with Canadian actors:

1. "Castle", with Nathan Fillion
2. "Grey's Anatomy", with Sandra Oh
3. "Revenge", with Henry Czerny

On the Inspirational Network, there have been reruns of "Wind at My Back" - sort of a Canadian "Waltons", in my opinion, starring Kiefer Sutherland's mother, Ellen Douglas, daughter of Tommy Douglas (grandfather of modern Canada?) and "Avonlea".

"Lifetime" has shown a "Maple Wave" of made-in-Canada TV movies.

I think the Canadian with the strongest accent on American TV is Alex Trebek!

God bless,

CKB

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,798,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I think the Canadian with the strongest accent on American TV is Alex Trebek!
Wrong, it's Mike Holmes on HGTV (a network that is full of Canadian programming).

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
If you look at TV ratings, consistently over the past 20-30-40 years, roughly about 18 of the top 20 rated TV shows in Canada are American. Most of the Canadian programs that pop into the top 20 are either sports or news/public affairs. Only exceptionally will a Canadian fictional program (drama or comedy) pop up in the top 20.

The one exception is Quebec, where generally 18 (or so) of the top 20 most watched shows are usually Canadian (always from Quebec).

Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 AM

469 posts, read 602,008 times
Let's not forget the most famous native Quebecker actor -
WILLIAM SHATNER!!!!!

I wonder if he can speak Joual?

CKB

Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Let's not forget the most famous native Quebecker actor -
WILLIAM SHATNER!!!!!

I wonder if he can speak Joual?

CKB
If he ever did it is probably long forgotten...

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
I'd like to watch more tv but cant find much on that interests me other than the occasional sporting event or documentary. Most of what i see thats on is a plethora of boring reality shows that seem to be mostly dedicated to the commercials than the actual show, lots of half hour comedies that i dont find funny.Guess i'm just not that much of a tv person..
Some shows i do like to watch are car racing, professional wrestling, hockey, and lately i've been enjoying Pawn Stars.Local news at 6, thats about it,reading books or interacting on forums usually takes up the rest of my entertainment time..

Old 04-20-2012, 05:23 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
My favourite Canadian on TV right now is Jessica Pare, on Mad Men, who is doing a great job and doesn't need to hide her nationality as they made her character Canadian to fit the actress. Another actress they did that with was Coby Smulders from How I met Your Mother, who's character, Robin, was not originally supposed to be Canadian.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM

30 posts, read 116,198 times
Yes, Canadians watch American shows all the time. Any of your popular shows on CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, etc are on tv here at the same times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or