U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 699 times

Advertisements

First I have to apologize my English skills, I'm not a native speaker.

My fiancee is going to spend summer 2013 in Thunder Bay. She is studying nursing and is willing to complete one internship outside Finland where we currently live. There are some family reasons, why she is interested in Canada and Thunder Bay area. I am going to spend few weeks with her in Thunder Bay (and Minnesota) region. My backgrounds are in the U.S. so the location of Thunder Bay is very ideal for me, too.

I have visited in Canada several times, mainly in Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto and Niagara Falls area but I have no idea what kind of place Thunder Bay is. Generally, how safe it is and how much one bedroom apartment would cost in mid-class neighborhood. Actually I should ask if you could recommend some specific neighborhood with quite low rent, fairly good public transport and also some basic shopping possibilities. And finally, which are the best tourist attractions (history, nature..)?

We are living in a quiet town in Finland's lake region. Thus, Toronto and other big cities are not ideal for us. Forest industry in TB also interests me since I have a Master's Degree in that field. If Thunder Bay turns out to be a suitable place for our needs, we may later also consider moving there permanently.

I appreciate all information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM

364 posts, read 1,011,158 times
Northern Ontario is full of Finns, so I think she/you will do fine. Timmins, Sault St. Marie and Sudbury are where my Finnish family was.
Mosquitos can be bad there in the summer, so just be prepared for that.
Crime is a known problem for TB, but if you live around the University/College area, I think she/you will be fine.
City of Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - Official Website
If the internship is linked to the University, perhaps she would be eligable to live in residence:
Residence
They also offer an off-campus housing service that may be of use to her. I did a sample search for furnished apartments in the P7B postal area (since that is the postal area of the University), not sure if my search will link for you:
Rental Listings | Lakehead University If that doesn't work, go to:
Rental Listings | Lakehead University

Hyvä menestys!

(no I don't speak Finnish, I looked it up. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or