Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,424 times

Advertisements

I am an IT graduate with a bit of experience and my father is an old retired person.

We want to move from NZ to Canada to live.

What kind of support are there for new arrivals like us so that it would help us to get settled?

for example, are there any social welfare system available so a new arrival can benefit from until that person finds a job????

Are there any websites so I can use to apply for a job in Canada from NZ???

Please answer the above questions. this is important.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
There is very little (if any) monetary support, although many communities have multicultural groups specifically designed to help immigrants adjust socially and offer language courses, etc. If you are immigrating to Canada you are expected to be in good health and already have sufficient money to support yourself so that you are not a burden - either financially or medically - on the system.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Kia ora

NZ and Canada do not provide financial support to immigrants. They are expected to be self sufficient, as sunshine mentioned. Being able to financially support yourself until you find a job is part of the immigrant selection criteria. You're not a refugee.. that would be a different story.

workopolis.ca, careerbuilder.c may be good places to start.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,424 times
yes, in NZ we do have financial support. my dad is getting and i used to get as well.

my dad is getting money for his retirement now.

can he still get his retirement money in Canada?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Canada does not provide financial/social welfare assistance to new immigrants.

You and your dad should both read this and take the self-assessment test to see if you will qualify to immigrate to Canada.

Skilled workers and professionals: Self-assessment test

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-21-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsa View Post
That would be a question for the agency in New Zeland that is providing it, not Canadians.

I do know that if you're a Canadian, and entitled to Canada Pension, you can still receive it if you live elsewhere, but I believe you do not receive the Old Age Security part (something like that anyhow).

Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

He would probably be able to get it sent to him in Canada from New Zealand but he would not be getting it from Canada. As adventuregurl said you'd have to ask about that from whatever NZ agency he is presently getting retirement money from. He may be still eligible to receive his retirement money from that NZ agency if he moves to another country.

However, he would not be eligible to immigrate to Canada as a retired senior now and start collecting either Canada Pension Plan or Canadian Old Age Security pension from Canada.

Canada's OAS pension is for Canadian citizens or legal permanent residents over the age of 65 that have already been living in Canada for 10 years or more after the age of 18. He would have to live in Canada for 10 years before being eligible to collect OAS pension.

The CPP is only for citizens or legal permanent residents over the age of 60 that have been living and gainfully employed in Canada and been making payments into the pension plan throughout their working career in Canada. The amount of the pension received is calculated based on the amount of contributions made during their work life in Canada.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-23-2012 at 01:32 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
yes, in NZ we do have financial support. my dad is getting and i used to get as well.

But youre kiwis, not immigrants, not refugees in Aotearoa

Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times
Quote:
for example, are there any social welfare system available so a new arrival can benefit from until that person finds a job????
Canada has nothing like the safety net in Australia. If NZ has the same support net like AUS, then you will be rather shocked in Canada. My AUS friend was shocked that our unemployment insurance has time limit. "And what do people do after the time is up?" - she asked. Well.... you are on your own. Canada has nothing similar to the Dole, where you can be supported indefinitely. The immigrants are expected to BRING sufficient money to the country to establish themselves, rather than to draw from the Canadian coffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada