U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,114,398 times

Advertisements

I'm Canadian but currently in the US and am looking for an economical way to live in Ontario for 6 months of the year (and do the snowbird thing). I prefer not to have to pay for a place for the other 6 months (winter) when I'm gone and am hoping to come up with a creative idea. I can be flexible with where it is located as I work for myself from home and only need good internet and a phone but my preference would be up to 2 hours northwest or west of TO. I like the Shelburne/Orangeville area but rents there are quite pricey. I thought Shelburne might be more reasonable as it is way out there.

I had thought about an RV in a seasonable park but have been told that's not economical. Unfortunately I have become very accustomed to the very low cost of living in AZ and now looking in Ontario am having sticker shock .

My ideal would be a guest house on a horse farm or soemthing of that nature but I figure most of them would want a 12 month commitment.

I am open to any and all ways to do this so don't be shy. I may even buy an income property and keep a small unit for myself but I want to explore all my options.

Any creative ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Finding anything to compare with BLM areas in Quartzite's gonna be a toughy.

Perhaps enquire at a marina if anyone with a sizable boat needs it "lived on" for the summer months. An owner who doesn't want it hauled and hung in supports and would appreciate having someone live on it instead of paying the marina to have someone regularly check the bilge pumps are still keeping up with inseepage.

House sitting or condo sitting might require you to pay for "security bonding" but that wouldn't be exhorbitant. The major problem with that would be it would very likely be more available only within the Toronto environs.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,160,836 times
Adventuregurl - not sure if you have a place in Arizona or not, but if so, have you considered trying to arrange a home swap?

HomeExchange.com

Home Exchange | Vacation House Swap | Property Exchange | House Swapping

etc

Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Finding anything to compare with BLM areas in Quartzite's gonna be a toughy.

Perhaps enquire at a marina if anyone with a sizable boat needs it "lived on" for the summer months. An owner who doesn't want it hauled and hung in supports and would appreciate having someone live on it instead of paying the marina to have someone regularly check the bilge pumps are still keeping up with inseepage.

House sitting or condo sitting might require you to pay for "security bonding" but that wouldn't be exhorbitant. The major problem with that would be it would very likely be more available only within the Toronto environs.
Thanks BruSan, I don't need BLM lands just something reasonable (with good phone and internet - a must!). I would get an RV and put it in a seasonal place but have been advised against it. I'm open to hearing more about this option though.

The boat idea is not bad however I have a small dog so that might be difficult. I am looking for creative ideas so that's definately one!

PS I don't mind spending money (up to around $1,000 per month) if I have to but I don't want to be paying it when I'm gone.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,141,542 times
Get a cheap 2 bedroom house in a small town somewhere. Outside of the GTA you can find real estate in Ontario very cheaply, if you're willing to go for an older house. I'm talking $60k to $70k. Taxes would probably run under $1000 a year. You would, of course, need to winterize it before leaving.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Adventuregurl - not sure if you have a place in Arizona or not, but if so, have you considered trying to arrange a home swap?

HomeExchange.com

Home Exchange | Vacation House Swap | Property Exchange | House Swapping

etc
Thanks Sunshineleith, I ahve a place but the rules in the are I'm in only allow for owner occupied. I might sell this place though but it's not easy to rent places in AZ out for the hot months. I've thought about buying a condo in BC and renting it in the winter to a snow bird but my heart is in Ontario.

I maybe should consider the maritimes - I know you have experience there - Do you think a 6 months summer rental be hard to find?

Old 04-24-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Get a cheap 2 bedroom house in a small town somewhere. Outside of the GTA you can find real estate in Ontario very cheaply, if you're willing to go for an older house. I'm talking $60k to $70k. Taxes would probably run under $1000 a year. You would, of course, need to winterize it before leaving.
Please tell me more tarp....where should I look? I had no idea (and I sold real estate for 16 years!).

Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM

903 posts, read 2,242,048 times
If you buy a condo in the Collingwood area you can rent it out to skiers in the winter for decent money. I knew someone who did this and made enough to pay for a place in Colorado and had enough left to pay their lift tickets for the season.

Been a while since I've been in the area so no idea how the rental market is there currently. You could call up a local realtor and ask for pricing and rentals. Many handle rentals

Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
If you buy a condo in the Collingwood area you can rent it out to skiers in the winter for decent money. I knew someone who did this and made enough to pay for a place in Colorado and had enough left to pay their lift tickets for the season.

Been a while since I've been in the area so no idea how the rental market is there currently. You could call up a local realtor and ask for pricing and rentals. Many handle rentals
I'm not crazy about Collingwood but it might make sense...I love the victorian homes in Creemore but they have become very pricey over the years/ I remember when they were around $179,000, no you can add $200,000 to that.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,160,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks Sunshineleith, I ahve a place but the rules in the are I'm in only allow for owner occupied. I might sell this place though but it's not easy to rent places in AZ out for the hot months. I've thought about buying a condo in BC and renting it in the winter to a snow bird but my heart is in Ontario.

I maybe should consider the maritimes - I know you have experience there - Do you think a 6 months summer rental be hard to find?
Six months would be a challenge I think - first off the summer/early autumn is the only decent weather in the Maritimes so people tend to stay put (and head to Cuba, DR or Mexico for winter vacations). There are little towns like Sackville, NB, Fredericton, NB and Wolfville, NS which are college towns and would have tons of sub-lets available for May through August, but unfortunately that's only a four-month solution.

Have you checked kijiji.ca?

The other option is not a house swap but a house sit where you might have some luck. One year we went to the UK for six weeks and found a great guy on House Sitters & Sitting from Housecarers USA Australia Canada NZ UK worldwide . to live in and look after the cats - it was free for him and a godsend for us. The lengths of house sits vary widely, so you may have some luck there! That is the site we used but if you google house sit website you'll get a full list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or