U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,010,720 times
Reputation: 2661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
These are all good points. But allow me to offer a slightly different perspective.

I don't know much about the examples you mentioned, but let's stick to more recognizable examples like Bobby Jindal or Ted Cruz.

Do you really think that top leaders like Bobby Jindal were elected because they appealed to minorities or were they just very talented politicians who happened to be minorities? Jindal is the governor of Louisiana ... yes Louisiana .. how many Indian-Americans and other minorities live there you think?

And Ted Cruz, is a champion in a (Republican) party that is notorious for not getting the Latino vote.

Politics is all about talent. And yes, you need to raise a lot of money. I have no doubt in my mind that a very talented politician, no matter what the race/ethnicity would get elected to any office in Canada.
We definitely don't want a system in Canada where the Indian immigrants vote for the Indian guy and the Caribbean immigrant votes for the Caribbean guy ..
Sorry I missed this post earlier.

Bobby Jindal is a great example of an South Asian-American political success. Nikki Haley in South Carolina is another. I actually find it even more refreshing when minority candidates win elections in States where they do not have the luxury of a built in community vote.

The Canadian example of all this is Naheed Nenshi in Calgary. Talented is exactly what I would call him, very politically savvy.

So are you implying that there are no talented candidates in this most recent GTA election? I would like to point to one in Ward 2. Munira Abukar. Look her up and see how she should be a rising star in GTA politics. Excellent public speaker, great resume and platform. Plus she is running against Rob Ford. Should there be an easier ballot to cast throughout the city? Unfortunately the major press she has garnered is linked to an unfortunate racial issue where her signs were vandalized and tagged with the term "Go home"....even though she was born and raised in Toronto.

Another talented candidate running in Ward 2 is Andray Domise. Another excellent public speaker, finance and insurance professional who also has experience running his own business. Once again running against Rob Ford.

The talent is there throughout the city, we just need to tap into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Congratulations on sinking to the lowest possible level and continuing to make it "personal". I'd rather pass on that and just allow you to do your thang homie.

One request though, would you point me to the post where I said the US did not have any racial problems? I would love to read something I know for a fact I never posted. Also why would I discuss racial issues directly with a white guy who has only lived in one city? You only know Toronto, so I speak to you about Toronto. What perspective can you possibly offer on another location?
Oh i'm sinking to the lowest possible level you ONLY post about racial inequality issues in Toronto or in Canada... When do you ever balance your approach about racial inequality issues in the U.S.. Post one just one damned piece regarding racial inequality about Boston - just one... Its ok Ed - it'll make you feel better!!!!

As for not living in another city - c'mon dude - you can't honestly say that just because one hasn't lived in every single city in the U.S or Canada that they are oblivious to matters impacting other places. There are a few people in here who think they have ownership of opinion just because they have lived in 2 or 3 cities in both countries.. I mean ooooh I lived in Toronto and Boston or Vancouver and D.C or Montreal and nowwhereland Maryland so I am a preeminent expert on the collective American and Canadian experience. HAHAHA suuuuure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,010,720 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh i'm sinking to the lowest possible level you ONLY post about racial inequality issues in Toronto or in Canada... When do you ever balance your approach about racial inequality issues in the U.S.. Post one just one damned piece regarding racial inequality about Boston - just one... Its ok Ed - it'll make you feel better!!!!
Go search the Boston board, racism has been discussed and I chimed in on multiple occasions. Why would I tie you into that discussion again? What do you have to add to that exactly?

By the way, I am still waiting for you to link me to the post where I said racism was eliminated in the US. Dont worry, take your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,010,720 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"America deals with their racism openly"......say what?

Aside from over a hundred years of historical proof to the contrary with events that curdle the blood and prosecution of guilty parties taking decades to engineer carefully lest you upset the established hierarchy as witnessed in getting a KKKlucker to stand trial for a black church bombing and bringing to trial those who murdered three civil rights workers.

I guess that's why in a very short span of time you've seen suppressed anger bubble up like a giant case of hear-burn at the shooting deaths of two young blacks by police forces.

Justified shootings or not; it sure speaks about all that "openness" and "forthrightness" that the result is a huge release of frustration in the form of violence seemingly simmering just under the surface waiting for a trigger to be pulled.

Were racism indeed being dealt with in the U.S as openly as opined on here, it could be reasonably assumed it would take more than a single event to build that kind of anger.

Let's invite Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton to discuss how openly they think Racism is being handled in the U.S. shall we? They are making a great living off of servicing the exact opposite perception among African Americans.

The NAACP got it's genesis from over fifty years of lynchings in the U.S. and Ida Wells along with other prominent blacks saying enough is enough. Some would have us believe racism in Halifax is a comparator?

Sandman, Fusion; don't waste any more time on this stupid thread. Reality will not be served by preaching reason to those entrenched in the numero-uno agenda.
No dispute to what you said here, there are deep rooted issues and they are painfully out in the open. The part I do not understand is why it catches people off guard when black folks say that despite these issues, they still feel more comfortable in the US than Canada.

You can't discount the already established network, both politically and secularly that a black professional can tap into immediately once arriving in the US. To put things in perspective, if "Black America" was its own nation, its GDP would be $2.2 trillion which would place it as the 10th largest economy in the world. Why would it be so insane for a motivate professional of colour to want to be a part of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Go search the Boston board, racism has been discussed and I chimed in on multiple occasions. Why would I tie you into that discussion again? What do you have to add to that exactly?

By the way, I am still waiting for you to link me to the post where I said racism was eliminated in the US. Dont worry, take your time.
Well lets see - you could chime in about racial inequality re Boston IN this thread to balance things out.. jus sayin... its like ya got the dump on T.O thing in the blood again.

As for finding a post from you stating that racism has been eliminated in the U.S - no need to... The fact YOU never mention it in Canada/U.S topics of comparison and only take a dump on Canada and specifically Toronto re matters of racial inequality equates to silence as being acceptance.. I'm more than open to you balancing out your commentary.. It would look good on ya

Lets make a deal - for every 3 posts you make about racial issues in Toronto or Canada (something very easy for you to do) how about 1 re the U.S in future discussions about racial inequality in the Canadian and American comparative context... I promise i'll even dump on T.Dot once in awhile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
No dispute to what you said here, there are deep rooted issues and they are painfully out in the open. The part I do not understand is why it catches people off guard when black folks say that despite these issues, they still feel more comfortable in the US than Canada.

You can't discount the already established network, both politically and secularly that a black professional can tap into immediately once arriving in the US. To put things in perspective, if "Black America" was its own nation, its GDP would be $2.2 trillion which would place it as the 10th largest economy in the world. Why would it be so insane for a motivate professional of colour to want to be a part of that?
Remember as well - you have lived in the U.S during your adult years - so you're making paper.. Life sucks growing up as a teenager having to leech off your parents both in Canada and the U.S for blacks, whites and every colour in between. Plus - do all black folks say that life is better in the U.S than Canada? I think the black population is pretty diverse and one person can't talk for such a diverse group me thinks.. Of course you can offer your own experiences or those of your family and friends but that doesn't equate to all blacks or all Jamaicans either. Admittedly - I don't speak for all white people..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 06:05 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,010,720 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well lets see - you could chime in about racial inequality re Boston IN this thread to balance things out.. jus sayin... its like ya got the dump on T.O thing in the blood again.

As for finding a post from you stating that racism has been eliminated in the U.S - no need to... The fact YOU never mention it in Canada/U.S topics of comparison and only take a dump on Canada and specifically Toronto re matters of racial inequality equates to silence as being acceptance.. I'm more than open to you balancing out your commentary.. It would look good on ya

Lets make a deal - for every 3 posts you make about racial issues in Toronto or Canada (something very easy for you to do) how about 1 re the U.S in future discussions about racial inequality in the Canadian and American comparative context... I promise i'll even dump on T.Dot once in awhile
Deal, lol. I can see why silence would be perceived a certain way here, so point taken I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 PM
 
Location: London, UK
3,458 posts, read 4,010,720 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Remember as well - you have lived in the U.S during your adult years - so you're making paper.. Life sucks growing up as a teenager having to leech off your parents both in Canada and the U.S for blacks, whites and every colour in between. Plus - do all black folks say that life is better in the U.S than Canada? I think the black population is pretty diverse and one person can't talk for such a diverse group me thinks.. Of course you can offer your own experiences or those of your family and friends but that doesn't equate to all blacks or all Jamaicans either. Admittedly - I don't speak for all white people..
No one is speaking for everyone, I didnt say all black folks think that way. The majority that I know, who are professionals and have lived in both countries lean towards that point of view. I know this catches white canadians off guard or blacks in Canada who have never lived anywhere else, but it is accurate based on my experiences. This is even more evident in the foreign born black population which I am a part of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 PM
 
18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13350
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
No dispute to what you said here, there are deep rooted issues and they are painfully out in the open. The part I do not understand is why it catches people off guard when black folks say that despite these issues, they still feel more comfortable in the US than Canada.

You can't discount the already established network, both politically and secularly that a black professional can tap into immediately once arriving in the US. To put things in perspective, if "Black America" was its own nation, its GDP would be $2.2 trillion which would place it as the 10th largest economy in the world. Why would it be so insane for a motivate professional of colour to want to be a part of that?
And what in the blue blazes may I ask, has that got to do with racism in either country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 07:46 PM
 
18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Reputation: 13350
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
No one is speaking for everyone, I didnt say all black folks think that way. The majority that I know, who are professionals and have lived in both countries lean towards that point of view. I know this catches white canadians off guard or blacks in Canada who have never lived anywhere else, but it is accurate based on my experiences. This is even more evident in the foreign born black population which I am a part of.
Cripes ED you generalize way too much! I'm white and it has never caught me off guard when blacks have indicated a preference for America over Canada. The ones I've worked with have been very forthcoming with the reasons and racism was not the biggy.

Last edited by BruSan; 10-21-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top