U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 11:46 AM

21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The National on CBC had a pretty interesting special relating to this topic. Forward to 26:00 if you are interested.

The National for November 12, 2014 - The National - CBC Player
Thanks for the tip! Reports like this remind us of what a public broadcaster is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,013,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I read those articles. It took me some time to respond to this because I felt like the articles were a little misleading. I'd be foolish to discount the entire message from this study, but do feel that the numbers and magnitude of the black vs white disparity are a little misleading.

You should note that the data that was used for these articles were from a UofT doctoral candidate thesis.

I think that the article makes incorrect statements about black and aboriginal boys. More than 40% of the youth data is missing. Which means that for nearly half the youth inmates, the analysis was unable to obtain the ethnicity.
With youth, ethnicity was not known in 42 to 46 per cent of admissions over a seven-year period, from 2005 to 2012. For adults, the unknown portion rose over a 16-year period from a low of 3 per cent in 1992 to 12 per cent in 2008.
In addition to the ethnicities of aboriginal, black and white, the Star aggregated East Asian, Hispanic, South Asian, Southeast Asian, West Asian, and Arabic into a group called “Other” in its analysis.
If you look at the graphs made using the raw data, you will note that % whites jailed is the HIGHEST for all parts of Canada. The unknown section is very large and frankly renders the analysis useless!

I don't mean to pick apart this article. Canada may have a problem with jailing minorities. But to equate the problem with that in the US is wrong.
Point taken on the missing data. I disagree that it renders the analysis useless though. Even if every single one of the "unknowns" was white, Black and Aboriginal males would still be over represented relative to population. This is not to equate the incarceration problems with the US, especially considering no country on the planet jails more people of any race than the US. It is more about the racial disparities in the system.

No thoughts on the "carding" data and study?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,997,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
No thoughts on the "carding" data and study?
I find the data and study to be very troubling.

The bar chart right at the end of the article, indicates a clear association between race and crime <type>. Black people seem to be disproportionately associated with the most serious offenses including drugs and gun related crimes.

You've lived in Toronto. What are your thoughts?

Old 12-05-2014, 06:13 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,754,295 times
If you are talking just about racism and black people then you cannot make a valid comparison as Canada has very few blacks whereas the US has many large cities where the blacks are the majority.

I grew up in BC and had never seen a black person until I moved to California. I am white and my wife is Mexican. We lived in Vancouver for a couple years and she felt a lot more racism there than in California.

Now if we are talking about First Nations people, Chinese, Indians, etc then I think there is far more racism in Canada. Just read the Yahoo Canada news forums. We lived for many years in the San Francisco Bay area which is one of the most racially diverse areas and very well integrated. I had Chinese, Korean, Indian, Mexican, etc. friends that I worked with but we also socialized together away from work.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:30 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,026,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
If you are talking just about racism and black people then you cannot make a valid comparison as Canada has very few blacks whereas the US has many large cities where the blacks are the majority.

I grew up in BC and had never seen a black person until I moved to California. I am white and my wife is Mexican. We lived in Vancouver for a couple years and she felt a lot more racism there than in California.

Now if we are talking about First Nations people, Chinese, Indians, etc then I think there is far more racism in Canada. Just read the Yahoo Canada news forums. We lived for many years in the San Francisco Bay area which is one of the most racially diverse areas and very well integrated. I had Chinese, Korean, Indian, Mexican, etc. friends that I worked with but we also socialized together away from work.
Whoa. BRITISH COLUMBIA has few blacks, not Canada as a whole.
I work in a hospital where a good 45% of employees are black. They're mostly from Africa and the Caribbean, and are very nice people.
I did live in the USA for almost 6 years, and it's a whole different vibe. I wouldn't venture into a black neihbourhood after dark.
Here, it's no problem.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:39 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,265,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Whoa. BRITISH COLUMBIA has few blacks, not Canada as a whole.
I work in a hospital where a good 45% of employees are black. They're mostly from Africa and the Caribbean, and are very nice people.
I did live in the USA for almost 6 years, and it's a whole different vibe. I wouldn't venture into a black neihbourhood after dark.
Here, it's no problem.
Canada is what 3% black? That's "very few". That's laughable to deny that there are very few blacks in Canada. You have a guy like John who had never even seen a black person until he left Canada. This tiny state is 30% black and has more black people by itself than all of Canada. Most states in the eastern US have 10% or more, except for New England. Not remotely comparable to Canada where the blackest province is Ontario with a tiny 5% black population. The blackest parts of Canada qualify as the whitest parts of the US like Minnesota and New England. Here I can drive out to the middle of nowehere and there will be plenty of rural black people, including black farmers, and it's the same if I drive hundreds of miles in all directions except towards the Canadian border where the populace becomes extremely homogenous. Can I drive out to the middle of nowhere in Canada and expect the town to be 20% black?

It is also interesting you wouldn't venture into a black neighborhood after dark - there are many black neighborhoods in Maryland, New York, California, and several other states that are among the richest places in the US - and the world. You must watch alot of TV to lump all places with a lot of black people together and be scared to go there after dark. You know, "black neighborhoods" aren't some single entity. Some are better off than others, so I don't know how you can lump them all into one category as a no go zone.

Don't go here after dark. It's a "black neighborhood".

Black neighborhoods" in Canada? There are very, very few. In Canada's second biggest city of Montreal Little Burgundy is often touted as the famous "black neighborhood" of the city yet blacks only make up 19% of the population. That may be high for Canada but coming from the US and most countries in the hemisphere you couldn't seriously call these places in Canada "black neighborhoods". They don't exist in Canada, with only some small exceptions around Toronto (immigrant communities) and in Nova Scotia.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:06 PM

342 posts, read 395,618 times
I wouldn't take weltschmerz too seriously. Look at what she has about say about black people in her past posts. There are plenty of majority black neighborhoods here that are fine and better off than most places in Canada. It is actually a trend for white families to move into middle class black neighborhoods so that their children can grow up without racist tendencies.

Old 12-06-2014, 02:24 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,754,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I wouldn't take weltschmerz too seriously. Look at what she has about say about black people in her past posts. There are plenty of majority black neighborhoods here that are fine and better off than most places in Canada. It is actually a trend for white families to move into middle class black neighborhoods so that their children can grow up without racist tendencies.
You are right Compton which was a famous black ghetto area in Los Angeles has changed drastically in the last few years and is becoming gentrified.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:10 AM

457 posts, read 508,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I know this has been asked millions of times but I'll try and make this thread more unique.

It seems that people automatically equate non racist as white people who are very accepting and tolerant of other races and cultures.
(so called anti racists often engage in double standards is what it seems, as I've pointed out before.)

Do Canadians often use terms like African American?

Or if Canadians are less racist than Americans, is it simply a matter of "not seeing color"?
Hell no. I'm First Nations by Canadian definition (That's American Indian in this country) and it's the French for "aboriginal" which is "autochtone" in Canada. And people STILL called me an African American and "foreign from overseas" because my skin is dark.

So yeah, Canada is as full of it as the USA is. They're just officially "in denial." Another difference is some felt government mandate of "visible minorities" getting jobs over the "White Canadians" meaning the "REAL Canadians" as they seem to think they are. White Canadians act like there's some kind of "reverse" discrimination at the government hiring level up there but I never experienced any of it!! Maybe if it does exist it applies to OVERSEAS foreign blacks and Asians, and maybe Latinos from South America (again "overseas") but certainly NOT to First Nations.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM

457 posts, read 508,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
Then again, you may have a point if you mean that racism is not often openly expressed to the person or persons targeted by it. But I'm convinced that racism is openly expressed -- when members of the group in question are not present.
Yes. Racism against American Indians/First Nations is INTO THE STRATOSPHERE whenever people are looking right AT me and talking about, well, ME. To my face. Anti-American-Indian racism directed right AT me because they assume I'm NOT American Indian.

Hell, it's a comfort being ON the Rez or at Pow-Wows where we can talk about what all is wrong with Blacks these days, without any of THEM around. Oh but wait, Bill Cosby does that right to THEIR faces....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or