U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 10:19 AM

457 posts, read 507,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Whoa. BRITISH COLUMBIA has few blacks, not Canada as a whole.
I work in a hospital where a good 45% of employees are black. They're mostly from Africa and the Caribbean, and are very nice people.
Ah yes, the reason why dark-skinned First Nations are considered "foreigners" "from overseas."

Stupidly judging by skin pigmentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 03:09 PM

128 posts, read 186,178 times
I was born and raised in the Southern part of the USA where it's notorious for having problems with race, particularly colored people. I must say that I never encountered racism until I moved to Toronto, Canada. Funny thing is I mostly encountered racism from Chinese & Indians. I hated living here for years until I met some people that were very open minded.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:12 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30_miles View Post
Funny thing is I mostly encountered racism from Chinese & Indians..
I have to say this has also been my experience.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:34 PM

72 posts, read 34,674 times
Default Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I've met plenty of Canadians that use the "N" word and are racist. I've also met Canadians who are not and see the color of one's skin having no weight on a friendship.

Racism is everywhere.
Do you play hockey? I'm wondering where you have met so many Canadians?

Old 06-19-2016, 06:11 PM

2,089 posts, read 1,456,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Canadian society is way less segregated than American society.
You must be joking.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:34 AM

490 posts, read 1,498,504 times
Are Canadians less racist? I don't know, maybe they hide it more, but I think they are both just as racist or prejudiced. Both Americans and Canadians as I said, just Canadians are more the type that want to hide it more.

One of my girlfriends is friends with a girl from BC, I remember when I hanged out and got together with my gf, the BC girl wouldn't like it and she even avoided me and stuff...I don't know what I did or how or why but oh well...then later I noticed it more and more and well I asked my Gf what is wrong with her and she told me, "oh it's because she doesn't like you. She doesn't like Mexicans, she thinks they're dirty, that she doesn't like other minorities just white folk" This is something that got me angry but oh well it was so racist and ignorant that I just didn't know where to begin and I didn't want to waste time.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:22 AM

5,950 posts, read 7,318,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
Are Canadians less racist? I don't know, maybe they hide it more, but I think they are both just as racist or prejudiced. Both Americans and Canadians as I said, just Canadians are more the type that want to hide it more.

One of my girlfriends is friends with a girl from BC, I remember when I hanged out and got together with my gf, the BC girl wouldn't like it and she even avoided me and stuff...I don't know what I did or how or why but oh well...then later I noticed it more and more and well I asked my Gf what is wrong with her and she told me, "oh it's because she doesn't like you. She doesn't like Mexicans, she thinks they're dirty, that she doesn't like other minorities just white folk" This is something that got me angry but oh well it was so racist and ignorant that I just didn't know where to begin and I didn't want to waste time.
There is certainly much less racial tension historically in Canada than the US, but the non white population of Canada has been much lower than the US until recently so I'm sure that has kept tensions lower as well. I will say though that like you, one of the most racist people I have ever met was someone in Hamilton.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,962,487 times
I think we're less sensitive to racism. There isn't the same amount of walking on eggshells political correctness here, although we do have some of that. That being said, there is a big problem with racism in Canada. The reason it's less talked about is because our country is overwhelmingly white. Our indigenous people continue to be subjected to governments ignoring treaties, widespread discrimination and in some cases third world poverty. I would also argue that our visible minorities are less welcomed into our society than is the case in the United States. Although we pride ourselves in being a cultural mosaic rather than an assimilating melting pot, I think you'd be much less likely to meet a member of a racial minority in Canada who's best friend is white than you would in the United States. There is a great deal of self segregation.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:51 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,744,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
You must be joking.

I think it is just the opposite. I have lived all over the US and have also lived in Canada. The races are much more integrated in the US with intermarriage, and social relationships.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:12 PM

701 posts, read 895,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I know this has been asked millions of times but I'll try and make this thread more unique.

It seems that people automatically equate non racist as white people who are very accepting and tolerant of other races and cultures.
(so called anti racists often engage in double standards is what it seems, as I've pointed out before.)

Do Canadians often use terms like African American?

Or if Canadians are less racist than Americans, is it simply a matter of "not seeing color"?
There are some seriously racist people here.

As many percentage wise as the US, I doubt it. But don't think it's all rainbows on that front. Far from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or