U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 02:47 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,445,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think so. I have never heard of such a thing here.

How would "black culture" be defined? It's a mystery to me.

In the US it is quite clear as bottincelli pointed out. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were about black culture here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 03:24 PM

18,296 posts, read 10,386,738 times
As Natnasci has pointed out "black" culture is associated more with the country of origin of immigrant blacks, with Canadian born blacks being simply Canadians like the rest of us inmates.

We have as an example, a variety of Caribbean blacks and they display their culture through those things popular with their island of origin but almost always they themselves would refer to their culture as Jamaican or Haitian and not deign to lump themselves into one bucket of blackness. Why should they?

How many blacks in the U.S. have formed a cricket club for example where it would be quite common to go on a Sunday afternoon and witness no one on the pitch other than blacks all wearing crisp whites? I played rugby with a few Nigerians who fumbled at the scrum exercises and running with the ball but give those guys a soccer ball and WOW!

THAT was just one of their culture claims. Those I've known would refuse to describe their culture as being simply "black". That's merely one colour in the spectrum .

Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM

7,266 posts, read 6,594,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
In the US it is quite clear as bottincelli pointed out. I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were about black culture here.
Well I agree with everything Botti said but neither he or Nat or you have defined black culture.

I'm not trying to be obtuse. What is black culture? What is yellow culture, or red culture, or brown culture, or white culture? Can these cultures of colour be defined? Do they even exist? I don't think there is any such thing as culture based on the colours of people's skins. At least, not any I have seen in Canada.

I have neighbours with black skin. One of them is an aborigine from Australia. One is from Kenya. One is from Botswana. One is from Jamaica. One is from Brazil. One is a doctor, one is a lab technician, one is a teacher, one is a musician and one is a custodian. They are neighbours and they are all acquainted with each other enough to know each other's names and say a friendly hello in passing, perhaps chat about the weather for a few minutes. That is the extent of it. Aside from being Canadian citizens and being neighbours on the same street the only other thing they have in common with each other is the colour of their skin. They do not have the same occupations, interests, hobbies, friends, family interactions. They are individuals. They do not share a common culture with each other because of their skin colour.

So if there is such a thing as black culture in Canada, or brown, red, yellow, white or even mosaic polka-dot culture, I want to know how such cultures are defined. What are the commonalities shared besides skin colour that would make it a culture?

Old 07-08-2016, 03:43 PM

12,694 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Quote:
Sorry natnasci I don't get what any of what he says has to do with my question.
It doesn't directly and it is of course a comedy piece. However in relation to your question it does sort of answer your question. If there were a distinct Canadian Black culture that really stood out, the video would of probably joked about comparing the two, when in fact, it just depicts a Canadian, which I believe is the point.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-08-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 03:47 PM

12,694 posts, read 8,765,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well I agree with everything Botti said but neither he or Nat or you have defined black culture.

I'm not trying to be obtuse. What is black culture? What is yellow culture, or red culture, or brown culture, or white culture? Can these cultures of colour be defined? Do they even exist? I don't think there is any such thing as culture based on the colours of people's skins. At least, not any I have seen in Canada.

I have neighbours with black skin. One of them is an aborigine from Australia. One is from Kenya. One is from Botswana. One is from Jamaica. One is from Brazil. One is a doctor, one is a lab technician, one is a teacher, one is a musician and one is a custodian. They are neighbours and they are all acquainted with each other enough to know each other's names and say a friendly hello in passing, perhaps chat about the weather for a few minutes. That is the extent of it. Aside from being Canadian citizens and being neighbours on the same street the only other thing they have in common with each other is the colour of their skin. They do not have the same occupations, interests, hobbies, friends, family interactions. They are individuals. They do not share a common culture with each other because of their skin colour.

So if there is such a thing as black culture in Canada, or brown, red, yellow, white or even mosaic polka-dot culture, I want to know how such cultures are defined. What are the commonalities shared besides skin colour that would make it a culture?

My post wasn't trying to define Canadian Black culture as one entity, but pointing out there are several cultures in Canada where the people happen to be black.

This is not to say that black people in Canada don't share certain things in Canada, like racial prejudice, but that is not necessarily cultural.

What this thread needs more of, is black voices. Immigrants and born and bred. Their stories are what is needed here.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-08-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 04:09 PM

21,952 posts, read 27,371,773 times
It makes (or made) more sense to talk about black culture in the US when the vast majority of people are African-Americans with roots in the country going back a few hundred years, and descended from slaves. (Also included are people of other origins like Barack Obama who integrated with that group.)

Even in the US this is slowly changing as the black community is less dominated by African-Americans and the population of blacks is increasingly diversified.

In any event, in Canada the black population has never been so overwhelmingly made up of a single ethno-cultural group as in the US.

My experience is the same as others: most blacks identify more with their nationality like Haitian, Jamaican, etc. There is some collective sentiment among for example francophone blacks from several west African countries. But that's about it for "cutting across'' national origins. Even east African francophone blacks don't hang out with west African francophone blacks that much as they are quite different.

It sould be like me hanging out with a Russian just because we're white.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:16 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,011,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As Natnasci has pointed out "black" culture is associated more with the country of origin of immigrant blacks, with Canadian born blacks being simply Canadians like the rest of us inmates.

We have as an example, a variety of Caribbean blacks and they display their culture through those things popular with their island of origin but almost always they themselves would refer to their culture as Jamaican or Haitian and not deign to lump themselves into one bucket of blackness. Why should they?

How many blacks in the U.S. have formed a cricket club for example where it would be quite common to go on a Sunday afternoon and witness no one on the pitch other than blacks all wearing crisp whites? I played rugby with a few Nigerians who fumbled at the scrum exercises and running with the ball but give those guys a soccer ball and WOW!

THAT was just one of their culture claims. Those I've known would refuse to describe their culture as being simply "black". That's merely one colour in the spectrum .

That is quite common in many US cities. I play cricket every Sunday here in Boston. We sometimes mix in with the Indian fellas in the burbs, but in the city its predominantly West Indian blacks. Once a month we make it a family affair, play some Cricket then a massive cookout with the best West Indian food you have had in your life. Football? I run ball twice a week, its a mixed group but there are black folks from around the globe that come out every night.

Black culture in the US is the same as Canada in the sense that its hella diverse. Yeah that diversity is more clustered in certain cities, but it is there. The difference is that in the US you have a strong distinct native black culture that rightfully steps to the forefront. In Canada you do not have that, so black culture is more loosely defined. But as a black immigrant myself I identify as both Jamaican and Black. African Americans along with people of African descent in Canada of backgrounds other than my own are people I view as my "cousins". We share a bond, because our skin colour does bond us together in many ways, despite our cultural differences.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:24 PM

5,880 posts, read 2,385,088 times
I'm going to try to keep this simple..Canadians in GENERAL do NOT have the Historical history of Cultural nor Race Hate built in to society. Sure there may be a FEW who have biases..BUT in general Nope..Nothing that closely resembles what American Politics/Social Media/ and some States who legislate against genders/or cultures ( out of fear mongers by some ~aka Sharia Law~) ..Nothing CLOSE//

To absolutely say Zero prejudice ..absolutely NOT..BUT Generally NOPE!!

American's have often over the past decades LOL at Canadians...mainly due to our belief system in equality..recognizing those who don't have the means to succeed..Thus from their POV..WE are somehow nurturing laziness...FAR from it..NOT ALL can succeed...But to support access to education/healthcare is FAR from a weakness..WHAT is it..supporting and enabling..Call Us weak all you wish..But maybe look what's happening south of the 49th Parallel RIGHT now.. Blaming everybody for their lesser level as somehow THEIR own chosen path.IS false ..I have some hopefulness..seeing SOME who acknowledge the unequal treatments ( largely by elite and those legislatures who want to DEFUND programs to help) pretty paints why American's are dealing with such horrific consequences ...

Canada is NOT immune 100%..But by comparison..Yikes..American's could only wish your Country had such stats!!

Old 07-08-2016, 04:27 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,445,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Even in the US this is slowly changing as the black community is less dominated by African-Americans and the population of blacks is increasingly diversified.

Hmm I don't know about that maybe in certain areas. AA's still vastly out number black immigrants from other places. One thing I have noticed is Black folks from other places usually adopt African American culture and speech very quickly.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:36 PM

21,952 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:
Hmm I don't know about that maybe in certain areas. AA's still vastly out number black immigrants from other places.
Well I did say "slowly".

Quote:
One thing I have noticed is Black folks from other places usually adopt African American culture and speech very quickly.
Yes, many of them do. Again, as things change demographically this may no longer become so automatic for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or