U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,776,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't live in Vancouver, but yes, that is a common term used in British Columbia, even used by Pakistani people from Pakistan. There's a local amateur sports team called the Pakis, all the team members are Pakistanis. I guess that means they must be very liberal if they shorten their own name, eh?

The term Paki is used in reference to a Pakistani person as commonly as the term Canuck is used in reference to a Canadian person and as you might have heard at some point, there is a popular BC sports team called the Canucks too and no offense is intended by it.

Are you a Canadian? Do you have a problem with the term Canuck too, are you offended by being called a Canuck by non-Canadians? Does it bother you when Canadians refer to their ownselves as Canucks?

Or is that different? If so, why?

Does it offend you when so many Americans, and many Canadians too, refer to Canada as Canuckistan? Because that is another common term that a lot of people use without intending offense or any kind of bigotry. I see people posting Canuckistan or Canukistan online all the time and they mostly are using it with good natured intent.

How about both Canadian and American aboriginals? Is it offensive when non-aboriginals still refer to them as Indians, when aboriginals refer to their own selves and each other as Indians? Many aboriginals still do that, you know. I often wonder how REAL Indians from India feel about having had their own origin name misappropriated like that but I have never asked.

How about British people? Is it offensive to refer to them as Brits? How about referring to Russians as Russkies?

Very often it is not what is said but how it is said that is offensive.

Wow ... glad I mentioned this term. In Toronto unless you are actually from Pakistan it is considered a racial slurr. It is like the N word. If you are from that group it might be put up with, but if not it is considered a racial slur.

It is interesting to note that it might be not seen as a big deal in the area of the country as the community might have rebranded the term and ex if someone calls you a Paki... don't take it as an insult, be proud of it and your heritage.

But again, NOT the same in Toronto and likely other parts of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 02:37 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Paki is a racial slur. It doesn't have the same connotation as "brits".
Sorta like Newfy is a racial slur?

Old 07-19-2016, 04:04 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Flourish was perhaps the incorrect word to use as my intention was to indicate that Canada's black cultures are not burdened with the historically predominant African American one (with all that it implies) hanging over their heads.
There is a Black Lives Movement in Canada. True not about police killings because Canada isn't like its lunatic neighbor where there are as many guns as there are people. But there are definite levels of police harassment, job discrimination, problems with the educational system and the assorted ills.

So Black Canada has as many "burdens of being black" as their counterparts in the USA have. In fact what blacks in the USA do have is the notion that they aren't recent immigrants, and therefore not a group that can be ignored as they have played a role in every facet of US history. So they can force a conversation that blacks in Canada cannot.

In fact Malcolm Gladwell wrote an article comparing the image of Jamaicans in the USA with that obtaining in Canada. Needless to say that welfare isn't something that is connected to US Jamaicans, whereas this was the image of Canada based Jamaicans in the 90s, when this article was written.

I have Canada born cousins in Toronto who are no more able to display their Caribbean identities than their peers in the USA. In fact in NYC its reached a point where it is the upward mobile American blacks who are now becoming upset that people think that they are of Caribbean heritage. So increasingly the African American in the NY area and Miami Dade/Broward have to accommodate to the large presence of black immigrants, and their offspring.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:40 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brusan View Post
sorta like newfy is a racial slur?
lol

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
There is a Black Lives Movement in Canada. True not about police killings because Canada isn't like its lunatic neighbor where there are as many guns as there are people. But there are definite levels of police harassment, job discrimination, problems with the educational system and the assorted ills.

So Black Canada has as many "burdens of being black" as their counterparts in the USA have. In fact what blacks in the USA do have is the notion that they aren't recent immigrants, and therefore not a group that can be ignored as they have played a role in every facet of US history. So they can force a conversation that blacks in Canada cannot.

In fact Malcolm Gladwell wrote an article comparing the image of Jamaicans in the USA with that obtaining in Canada. Needless to say that welfare isn't something that is connected to US Jamaicans, whereas this was the image of Canada based Jamaicans in the 90s, when this article was written.

I have Canada born cousins in Toronto who are no more able to display their Caribbean identities than their peers in the USA. In fact in NYC its reached a point where it is the upward mobile American blacks who are now becoming upset that people think that they are of Caribbean heritage. So increasingly the African American in the NY area and Miami Dade/Broward have to accommodate to the large presence of black immigrants, and their offspring.
Okie dokie:

Toronto Caribbean Carnival Parade - Caribana Info & Tickets

Old 07-19-2016, 08:54 PM

7,214 posts, read 6,570,009 times
No parades here on the west coast but there are a couple of Caribbean societies that put on smashing good weekend long Caribbean festivals every July. They're extremely popular events that draw huge crowds.

Caribbean Days Festival: July 23-24, 2016-Caribbean Days Festival, North Vancouver BC Canada

Maple Ridge Caribbean Festival Society, British Columbia | Summer Festival

Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 PM

Default I got to disagree...

Quote:
The Caribbean community in the GTA is very large and very different then what it was on the 70s. We have many events. The Caribbean Carnival events are huge!!!!!! It is the biggest cultural event in the city. The off spring of these immigrants are doing pretty well for the most part. We are well represents in most successful aspects of this city.

Food from the Caribbean is also now commonly found all over the city and not exclusively consume by people from the Caribbean community either.

For a bunch of little Islands people from the Caribbean have 100% had a positive and influential role in this city. When other cultural groups have events they close a couple block in a neighbourhood ... When the Caribbean community is having events the party takes up the entire lakeshore. This event is at the heart of the Caribbean community and is an event that is known and visited by people outside of our city and country. I don't really think Caribbean identity is underground in Toronto at all.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:30 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,925,572 times
Quote:

As I understand it Caribana isn't even really run by Caribbean people any more. I think that all of the carnivals in the USA are pretty much Caribbean run, with minimal non Caribbean input.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:48 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
New York has more Caribbean people than all of Canada not including people from the Dr and Pr? I have to say I am surprised. Does that include Haitians?

Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 PM

Default Not true!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
As I understand it Caribana isn't even really run by Caribbean people any more. I think that all of the carnivals in the USA are pretty much Caribbean run, with minimal non Caribbean input.
It takes way too many people to put that type of event together. I personally know lots of people from the Caribbean involved in putting on this event. It sponsored by companies too and having some people not from the Caribbean involved in organizing this event does not make it less Caribbean, but it does mean it is more important to the city as a whole. Toronto is about inclusion so it is not uncommon to find people in the parade and at these events from all background. That is part of what makes all these cultural events in Toronto great! This parade belong to the city and not just the Caribbean community! That is a statement of pride because that is just how good it has gotten. When it is that big you need more hands on deck ...in Toronto we party together. Does not matter which group is having a festival .... People from every cultural group show up to have fun.

This year I will be in New York on the day onlf the parade so I am glad I got to go to the junior parade this past Saturday which was great!!! The costumes were good. This year there will be no fences again so seeing the costumes and taking pictures will be easier.

Last edited by klmrocks; 07-19-2016 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or