U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-30-2016, 02:20 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am a huge fan of Gladwell's writing. I can definitely relate to his experiences. For the benefit of the audience that are not familiar with the quote you paraphrased, I will post it in full:
I grew up in Canada, in a little farming town an hour and a half outside of Toronto. My
Like Mr. Gladwell said above "somebody has to be the n*gger"


Yes I read at least 2 of his books, and learned the different roles that people play in society. Also that often times the same person born in a different era, or to a different family, might have an outcome which might have nothing to do with who they are.


Now what is interesting about Canada is its immigration process is different from the USA. To get into Canada one must not only have relatives (under family reunification) but also earn points. So there is more selectivity in who Canada admits from the Caribbean, when compared to the USA. So one would think that Caribbean people in Canada would have a better image than would those in the USA have.


But they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,482,126 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Yes I read at least 2 of his books, and learned the different roles that people play in society. Also that often times the same person born in a different era, or to a different family, might have an outcome which might have nothing to do with who they are.


Now what is interesting about Canada is its immigration process is different from the USA. To get into Canada one must not only have relatives (under family reunification) but also earn points. So there is more selectivity in who Canada admits from the Caribbean, when compared to the USA. So one would think that Caribbean people in Canada would have a better image than would those in the USA have.


But they don't.
What sort of image do Canadians from the Caribbean have? How does anyone know whether someone is from the Caribbean without first asking? After learning that someone is from the Caribbean, what changes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3F7J2PeYU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 07:52 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,482,126 times
Reputation: 4657
The perception of Canadian Mennonites is always entertaining. Some believe that Joseph Smith is the origin of Mennonites. There are a number of traditional practices in the Mennonite communities, such as no reliance on technology, no decorative clothing, no dancing, no drinking ... little do people realize that Mennonites also live amongst them, Mennonites who still value the perspective on Christianity, but who no longer practice traditional habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 07:59 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,482,126 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's sad\funny seeing so many posts about racism being a small town and only white thing.

The FBI hate crime stats will show you that bias crimes are more urban and are more and more becoming intra-minority especially in parts of California due to ethnic gang ties.

The meme that it's rednecks in pick-ups with confederate flags is just more comfortable to face than reality.

P.S. Parts of Canada have large Asian populations. Please, please tell me what their general opinions are towards blacks and other minorities and *gasp* even whites? I've had several experiences with this and um....let's just say they haven't been good.
Canadian cities are built by British and Europeans - Caucasians. Canada is a country built by people with white skin. Asking Canadians about racism is asking a predominantly caucasian people/society about racism. Why is it surprising that the perspective is primarily a "white thing"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,774,955 times
Reputation: 4619
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
FYI a Somali man has died after a "rough arrest" by Ottawa police. It happened on Sunday morning. He was unarmed and had mental health issues. The story is still developing. There is some video of the incident on Youtube if you look for it.
When taking this situation to account I think there just might be more to it then he was black. Police have a history of having problems dealing with people with mental heath issues. It don't think in all cases things are mainly related to skin colour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,774,955 times
Reputation: 4619
Default ?

[quote=Lieneke;44967497]Canadian cities are built by British and Europeans - Caucasians. Canada is a country built by people with white skin. Asking Canadians about racism is asking a predominantly caucasian people/society about racism. Why is it surprising that the perspective is primarily a "white thing"?[/QUO

I don't agree with that. Cities are continually being built and designed. It is totally untrue to say this. People of all skin colours and ethic backgrounds have in Canada have contributed to building Canadian. I say with pride as the daughter and the wife of trades people in Toronto that are non-white and non-European have played huge roles in building major cities in Canada. My father can drive through Toronto and this province and point out work his has done. My husband has been involved in creating work in residential and commercial spaces in the city that are certain to last for 50 to 100 years. Please don't discredit the contributions of these workers. I was at George Brown and their construction management program's students are not mainly white or of European descent. The future of Canadian cities is certainly not in the exclusive hands of whites and Europeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,774,955 times
Reputation: 4619
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
It is a statistical fact that black immigrants in the US outperform their counterparts in Canada and the U.K. It is getting to the point that black immigrants are now viewed as the "model" immigrant and held to a different standard than their African American native born cousins. Personally I don't care for the separation but I would be a fool to not admit that I enjoy certain privileges once people find out I am immigrant black vs native born.

Now in Canada you are not fortunate enough to enjoy that same treatment from employers and police officers as a black person from the Caribbean. It was shocking to me how different Jamaicans are viewed in the US vs Toronto when I first moved.
Interesting.... but at least in Toronto at least up until we got larger populations from Somali .... if you were black people automatic assumed you were Jamaican. Also even though I know this is an unfair stereotype other people from the Caribbean tend to not view Jamaicans with the highest regard. I am not sure what that is all about ... but I always heard the comments from people from all other Islands growing up and know if you want to offend a person from Barbados or Trinidad and Tobago tell them I thought you were from Jamaica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,482,126 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

I don't agree with that. Cities are continually being built and designed. It is totally untrue to say this. People of all skin colours and ethic backgrounds have in Canada have contributed to building Canadian. I say with pride as the daughter and the wife of trades people in Toronto that are non-white and non-European have played huge roles in building major cities in Canada. My father can drive through Toronto and this province and point out work his has done. My husband has been involved in creating work in residential and commercial spaces in the city that are certain to last for 50 to 100 years. Please don't discredit the contributions of these workers. I was at George Brown and their construction management program's students are not mainly white or of European descent. The future of Canadian cities is certainly not in the exclusive hands of whites and Europeans.
What new cities have been built in Canada that weren't started as towns established by Europeans and Brits?

Regarding who has contributed to the buildings in the cities that were established by Brits and Europeans, how is that relevant?

Eastern Canada had people of African nationality earlier than Western Canada because East Canada helped US slaves escape and establish new lives in Canada.

One of the first black men in Alberta was a cattle wrester from Texas who was tasked to move 2000 head of cattle to Alberta. He needed to cross the centre street bridge in Calgary with 2000 cattle, and needed permission. He was not given permission, but he did it anyway. There was one other black family in the province, and there was a pretty daughter. They married and had 6 children. He died a few years later in a horse accident.

The centre street bridge in Calgary is 100 years this year. What other nationalities were in Eastern Canada prior to 1916?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Toronto
6,754 posts, read 3,774,955 times
Reputation: 4619
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What new cities have been built in Canada that weren't started as towns established by Europeans and Brits?

Regarding who has contributed to the buildings in the cities that were established by Brits and Europeans, how is that relevant?

Eastern Canada had people of African nationality earlier than Western Canada because East Canada helped US slaves escape and establish new lives in Canada.

One of the first black men in Alberta was a cattle wrester from Texas who was tasked to move 3000 head of cattle to Alberta. He needed to cross the centre street bridge in Calgary, and needed permission. He was not given permission, but he did it anyway. There was one other black family in the province, and there was a pretty daughter. They married and had 6 children. He died a few years later in a horse accident.

The centre street bridge in Calgary is 100 years this year. What other nationalities were in Eastern Canada prior to 1916?
You do realize that construction since that period in major cities in nominal in comparison to after that point? Those old buildings are the exceptions and not the norm at least in Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,482,126 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Interesting.... but at least in Toronto at least up until we got larger populations from Somali .... if you were black people automatic assumed you were Jamaican. Also even though I know this is an unfair stereotype other people from the Caribbean tend to not view Jamaicans with the highest regard. I am not sure what that is all about ... but I always heard the comments from people from all other Islands growing up and know if you want to offend a person from Barbados or Trinidad and Tobago tell them I thought you were from Jamaica.
Why would people from East Canada assume that all black people are from the Caribbean? Do they not know East Canada's history of helping slaves escape from the US? I'm pretty sure those slaves were from Africa - at least that's what I was taught in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top