U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:47 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,483,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
You do realize that construction since that period in major cities in nominal in comparison to after that point? Those old buildings are the exceptions and not the norm at least in Toronto.
What?! Are you suggesting that because of recent input from multicultural influences in architecture, Canada is not a country built on European and British culture - that "white thing"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 AM

494 posts, read 336,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What sort of image do Canadians from the Caribbean have? How does anyone know whether someone is from the Caribbean without first asking? After learning that someone is from the Caribbean, what changes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3F7J2PeYU
When people guess the ethnicity of a black person, they almost never guess Caribbean. You could give them 5-10 guess and they wouldn't even mention it. Not sure what changes about the image some take either. All the Caribbeans I know are university graduates with equal or slightly less education than me and making more money. The other circle or so of hundreds I know by default are also not doing terribly. So, not sure what "negative" image is being assumed or assigned. From my experience, it is the Haitians that seem to get a bad rap....whether they deserve ir or not.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:49 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,776,432 times
Default ?

Quote:
What new cities have been built in Canada that weren't started as towns established by Europeans and Brits?

Regarding who has contributed to the buildings in the cities that were established by Brits and Europeans, how is that relevant?

Eastern Canada had people of African nationality earlier than Western Canada because East Canada helped US slaves escape and establish new lives in Canada.

One of the first black men in Alberta was a cattle wrester from Texas who was tasked to move 2000 head of cattle to Alberta. He needed to cross the centre street bridge in Calgary with 2000 cattle, and needed permission. He was not given permission, but he did it anyway. There was one other black family in the province, and there was a pretty daughter. They married and had 6 children. He died a few years later in a horse accident.

The centre street bridge in Calgary is 100 years this year. What other nationalities were in Eastern Canada prior to 1916?
Last time I checked there were aboriginal people all over Canada before the Europeans got here. I am not referring to Calgary.. I don't think that far West. In general though all infrastructure in Canada has greatly increased since before the 1916. New construction far out weighs old construction in terms on volume.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 PM

Default ....

Quote:
What sort of image do Canadians from the Caribbean have? How does anyone know whether someone is from the Caribbean without first asking? After learning that someone is from the Caribbean, what changes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3F7J2PeYU
People often will guess based on general demographics of the area. In terms of Toronto that assumption was at least up until the 1980 you were from the Caribbean. Also there are other things that may suggest someone's background like accent or the way the carry themselves. I can often tell just by the way a black Canadian speaks if they are from the Caribbean or not (even it 2nd generation). There are some cultural hints that come across. I think there is an art to this lol. At least from my experiences growing up in Toronto I can often guess where someone or their parents/grandparents are from by the way they speak English ex certain phrasing, terms or the way things are pronounced. Most of the people I was around growing up in Toronto were either born in another country or has parents born in another country. Anglo Canadians were certainly a minority. French Canadians or Aboriginal Canadians I meet very few in Toronto in the last 3 decades compared to the general population. The diversity in Toronto is not comparable to certain other parts of Canada.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:03 PM

Default Eastern Canada ...

Quote:
Why would people from East Canada assume that all black people are from the Caribbean? Do they not know East Canada's history of helping slaves escape from the US? I'm pretty sure those slaves were from Africa - at least that's what I was taught in school.

You can not lump in Eastern Canada like that. There is no comparison to the diversity in Toronto and the Greater Toronto area to the rest of Eastern Canada. In Toronto the majority of people are immigrants or 2nd generation Canadians. Black Canadians with longer roots in Canada are a tiny minority of the Black population in Toronto. Do you think most immigrants know or care that much about Canadian history lol? There noticed that a lot of people in an area happen to be from Jamaica and assume anyone that looks slightly similar might be from the same place. It is as simple as that. In reality do you really think immigrants from other parts of the world spend much time learning about Canadian history growing up ? At least from my experiences travelling in the Europe, Middle East, Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America the average person does not really know what much about Canada.... let's not kid ourselves.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:09 PM

Default Recent ....

Quote:
What?! Are you suggesting that because of recent input from multicultural influences in architecture, Canada is not a country built on European and British culture - that "white thing"?
The influence if out weighed by current modern constructions in most major cities. I can 100% say in Terms of Toronto and the surrounding cities the new construction since 1916 grossly outweighs anything around at that time. I don't know where you live in Canada, but where I live in Canada every few days a new house, condo or building or some sort gets construction or remodeled. Week by week the city is changing.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:14 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
When people guess the ethnicity of a black person, they almost never guess Caribbean. You could give them 5-10 guess and they wouldn't even mention it. Not sure what changes about the image some take either. All the Caribbeans I know are university graduates with equal or slightly less education than me and making more money. The other circle or so of hundreds I know by default are also not doing terribly. So, not sure what "negative" image is being assumed or assigned. From my experience, it is the Haitians that seem to get a bad rap....whether they deserve ir or not.

I think all this stuff we are talking about is very specific to each part of Canada. In Toronto you do not find a lot of people from Haiti. In terms of the people I know that are from the Caribbean we are doing just as well as if not in some cases better then most people including many 1st generation Europeans in Toronto. If you compare progress made my groups like the Portuguese in Toronto likely because our parents came here speaking English.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Everyone gets their turn, I suppose.

It sounds a bit like the Poles and the Ukranians. Where they both the Whites during WW2?
Or were they the Red Army?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think all this stuff we are talking about is very specific to each part of Canada. In Toronto you do not find a lot of people from Haiti. In terms of the people I know that are from the Caribbean we are doing just as well as if not in some cases better then most people including many 1st generation Europeans in Toronto. If you compare progress made my groups like the Portuguese in Toronto likely because our parents came here speaking English.
Canada is settled by the British and Western Europeans. I think the first black people were US slaves who escaped to Eastern Canada. I suspect that blacks were seen in Toronto earlier than Western Canada.

If anyone is going to make an issue out of which country a black person came from - who would it be: the person who thinks all blacks look alike, or the person from the Caribbean who thinks that Canadians call all black people African Americans?

Regardless, Canada has two languages: French and English. The US should have two languages: Spanish and English (for obvious reasons); not including the Portuguese sympathizer perspective.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:44 AM

If the Poles and the Ukranians were united during WW2 and if they were the White Army, doesn't that mean that they did Hitler's bidding? Is that why Polish and Ukranian people still carry German Angst?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or