U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,483,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
The influence if out weighed by current modern constructions in most major cities. I can 100% say in Terms of Toronto and the surrounding cities the new construction since 1916 grossly outweighs anything around at that time. I don't know where you live in Canada, but where I live in Canada every few days a new house, condo or building or some sort gets construction or remodeled. Week by week the city is changing.
The "new structures" built in Toronto in the last decade are the topic of numerous investigative reporting documentaries because they are so poorly built, and because they are flipped by foreign buyers before they are completely built and detailed.

Toronto had a mayor who was corrupt, and an international market interested in Canada that wanted to move money. That is definitely an influence in Canada supporting the point that people from all over the world influence Canada's architecture.

Regarding Canada's origins, that is with the British and Western Europeans. Canada also has an Aboriginal group that is of Mongoloid origin, but they lived in primitive conditions when British and European settlers arrived in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
You can not lump in Eastern Canada like that. There is no comparison to the diversity in Toronto and the Greater Toronto area to the rest of Eastern Canada. In Toronto the majority of people are immigrants or 2nd generation Canadians. Black Canadians with longer roots in Canada are a tiny minority of the Black population in Toronto. Do you think most immigrants know or care that much about Canadian history lol? There noticed that a lot of people in an area happen to be from Jamaica and assume anyone that looks slightly similar might be from the same place. It is as simple as that. In reality do you really think immigrants from other parts of the world spend much time learning about Canadian history growing up ? At least from my experiences travelling in the Europe, Middle East, Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America the average person does not really know what much about Canada.... let's not kid ourselves.
A Toronto Snob who will not be lumped in with the rest of Eastern Canada?

Hello?

Old 08-06-2016, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Last time I checked there were aboriginal people all over Canada before the Europeans got here. I am not referring to Calgary.. I don't think that far West. In general though all infrastructure in Canada has greatly increased since before the 1916. New construction far out weighs old construction in terms on volume.
I'm pretty sure that the aboriginals were not using steel beams to construct bridges in the 1880s. Beyond nomadic life and a tepee, North American Mongoloid race civilization was undeveloped. Today, after settlement by Europe, North American aboriginals have running water, toilets, and generations of compensation.

How do you think the Mongoloid population arrived in Canada?

Old 08-06-2016, 07:34 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,745,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Canada is settled by the British and Western Europeans. I think the first black people were US slaves who escaped to Eastern Canada. I suspect that blacks were seen in Toronto earlier than Western Canada.

If anyone is going to make an issue out of which country a black person came from - who would it be: the person who thinks all blacks look alike, or the person from the Caribbean who thinks that Canadians call all black people African Americans?

Regardless, Canada has two languages: French and English. The US should have two languages: Spanish and English (for obvious reasons); not including the Portuguese sympathizer perspective.
Actually the U.S. does not have an official language. English is the de facto language. In some states like California, official business can also be conducted in Spanish. Legal documents, etc, are available in both languages. My wife is Mexican and I am fluent in Spanish.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:55 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,776,432 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
A Toronto Snob who will not be lumped in with the rest of Eastern Canada?

Hello?
Lol did you just call me a snob . Canada is very different from region to region and can be very different even in the same province. I dont recall in this thread saying anything bad about other places in Canada.

Last edited by klmrocks; 08-06-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 08-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Default ...

[quote=JohnSoCal;45032128]Actually the U.S. does not have an official language. English is the de facto language. In some states like California, official business can also be conducted in Spanish. Legal documents, etc, are available in both languages. My wife is Mexican and I am fluent in Spanish.[/QUOTE

I have seen that reality in the USA when I go to certain parts of South Florida people always speak Spanish first and then if I say I don't speak Spanish they will speak in English. Sometimes just for the sake of it and to see how much I actually understand I will only reply in English and see how far I can carry the conversation until it gets too confusing. That happens to me a in New York too. I spent 10 minutes talking to this lady in line in 1/2 Spanish and 1/2 English last week in NYC. I use to do that when I lived in Moncton... But when I replied in English at times a few customers living there from Quebec would get mad ( even though they spoke English) and insist on having someone help them that spoke French ...only a few people I ran in to where like this otherwise they did not care.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:17 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times
Quote:

I have seen that reality in the USA when I go to certain parts of South Florida people always speak Spanish first and then if I say I don't speak Spanish they will speak in English. Sometimes just for the sake of it and to see how much I actually understand I will only reply in English and see how far I can carry the conversation until it gets too confusing. That happens to me a in New York too. I spent 10 minutes talking to this lady in line in 1/2 Spanish and 1/2 English last week in NYC. I use to do that when I lived in Moncton...
You speak a bit of Spanish?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:09 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,745,405 times
[quote=klmrocks;45032898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Actually the U.S. does not have an official language. English is the de facto language. In some states like California, official business can also be conducted in Spanish. Legal documents, etc, are available in both languages. My wife is Mexican and I am fluent in Spanish.[/QUOTE

I have seen that reality in the USA when I go to certain parts of South Florida people always speak Spanish first and then if I say I don't speak Spanish they will speak in English. Sometimes just for the sake of it and to see how much I actually understand I will only reply in English and see how far I can carry the conversation until it gets too confusing. That happens to me a in New York too. I spent 10 minutes talking to this lady in line in 1/2 Spanish and 1/2 English last week in NYC. I use to do that when I lived in Moncton... But when I replied in English at times a few customers living there from Quebec would get mad ( even though they spoke English) and insist on having someone help them that spoke French ...only a few people I ran in to where like this otherwise they did not care.
I know what you mean about Florida. We lived in SE Florida for 8 years.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Not exactly lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
You speak a bit of Spanish?
Not really lol. She just approached me speaking Spanish. Then I sort of understood, but was replying in English. It took her a while to figure out I did not speak Spanish lol, but I did not straight out say that until she starting saying something much more complicated ...then I told her. She was buying something for a family member send to the Domincan Republic and she was asking for my opinion on the tops she had selected. It was a pretty simple topic.

I swear this happens to me a lot. People usually assume ( even in Toronto) that I am Hispanic. I have spent enough time around Spanish speaking people that I sort of can understand what is being said and how to copy the accent of some places ... But am not confident to reply in Spanish. I will only reply if I really really have too ex I need to find something or ask a question. 2nd to English ... Spanish then Arabic would be languages that I have had the most regular exposure too.

Last edited by klmrocks; 08-07-2016 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Actually the U.S. does not have an official language. English is the de facto language. In some states like California, official business can also be conducted in Spanish. Legal documents, etc, are available in both languages. My wife is Mexican and I am fluent in Spanish.
What kind of official business can be conducted in Spanish in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or