U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM

21,941 posts, read 27,343,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
. I use to do that when I lived in Moncton... But when I replied in English at times a few customers living there from Quebec would get mad ( even though they spoke English) and insist on having someone help them that spoke French ...only a few people I ran in to where like this otherwise they did not care.
I doubt they were from Quebec. People from Quebec make up a very small percentage of the French-speaking population of Moncton. They were probably from northern New Brunswick areas like Caraquet and Tracadie. Some people there can be quite adamant about service in French, etc.

It's kind of an "automatic" from other provinces to think that those who insist on French outside Quebec are just people from Quebec making trouble, but it's my observation that the majority of Québécois are generally quite zen about English outside the province. They expect it to be English as soon as they leave Quebec, though within Quebec of course they do expect French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,779,288 times
Default I know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I doubt they were from Quebec. People from Quebec make up a very small percentage of the French-speaking population of Moncton. They were probably from northern New Brunswick areas like Caraquet and Tracadie. Some people there can be quite adamant about service in French, etc.

It's kind of an "automatic" from other provinces to think that those who insist on French outside Quebec are just people from Quebec making trouble, but it's my observation that the majority of Québécois are generally quite zen about English outside the province. They expect it to be English as soon as they leave Quebec, though within Quebec of course they do expect French.
No ... I know these few ( like a couple of people) were from Quebec. Some people where I worked knew them hence why I know. In general I found people in Moncton were pretty nice and often did not even get that you did not speak French if you replied in English because they speak both back and forth in the same conversations. For one particular man I joked with him saying sorry I am from Toronto .. you are lucky I even speak English ( ..lol he did not see the humor) and one of my co-workers who spoke French assisted him.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
No ... I know these few ( like a couple of people) were from Quebec. Some people where I worked knew them hence why I know. In general I found people in Moncton were pretty nice and often did not even get that you did not speak French if you replied in English because they speak both back and forth in the same conversations. For one particular man I joked with him saying sorry I am from Toronto .. you are lucky I even speak English ( ..lol he did not see the humor) and one of my co-workers who spoke French assisted him.

That's certainly plausible.

FYI, Québécois often get grief from francophones outside the province for not fighting the good fight outside Quebec. (Not sticking up for French if it's not in Quebec.)

For example, Quebec companies who open locations outside Quebec who get crap from local francophones for English only signage and service.

Case in point:

Bilingual debate forces water park to change name - Archives - Ottawa Business Journal

Old 08-08-2016, 09:22 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,747,226 times
Quote:
What kind of official business can be conducted in Spanish in California?
Any dealings with the courts, legal documents are in both languages. You can take your drivers license test in Spanish. Election ballots are in both English and Spanish and the list goes on.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Any dealings with the courts, legal documents are in both languages. You can take your drivers license test in Spanish. Election ballots are in both English and Spanish and the list goes on.
I knew about the DMV exams and ballots.

For the courts, wouldn't the Spanish docs (and docs in other languages) be provided for information purposes mainly? And the official documents would have to be in English? I know they provide interpreters but they do this for numerous non-official languages in many countries.

Unless I am mistaken, you can't file your tax return in Spanish, operate a business in Spanish (permits, bookkeeping, etc.), etc.

I'd describe the situation in California (and also in places like Florida) as "extensive accommodation" for Spanish, as opposed to "quasi-official bilingualism".

Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,747,226 times
Quote:
I knew about the DMV exams and ballots.

For the courts, wouldn't the Spanish docs (and docs in other languages) be provided for information purposes mainly? And the official documents would have to be in English? I know they provide interpreters but they do this for numerous non-official languages in many countries.

Unless I am mistaken, you can't file your tax return in Spanish, operate a business in Spanish (permits, bookkeeping, etc.), etc.

I'd describe the situation in California (and also in places like Florida) as "extensive accommodation" for Spanish, as opposed to "quasi-official bilingualism".
As I said earlier, we do not have an official language in the US. There are a few people that want to make English our official language but there isn't much support for it.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:30 PM

5,185 posts, read 4,675,267 times
Rather than globalizing or turning Canada into a mini-US, its probably a better idea to deal with their society on their own terms.

I used to go to Canada to get away from the chaos and confusion of the states, I'd be very disappointed if they lost their uniqueness.

Adienne Clarkson & Michaelle Jean were both Governor Generals which I think is the highest office if memory serves me correct, though of course that doesn't necessarily make it a utopia.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:20 PM

3,501 posts, read 4,958,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Racial demographics of a student body? Personally I think that is a rather repugnant idea. What purpose does it serve other than being able to say that a certain "race" performs better or worse than another. Oh yeah - another purpose - you can choose a college based on how many people of certain race do (or don't) go there? Segregation - whether it be physical or statistical serves primarily to DIVIDE people. We're all of the same race - the HUMAN race. What's next? Indicate your religion and sexual orientation!?
Sunshine, you're lacking in knowledge about the USA higher education sytem.

For your information - unlike Canada -- the USA has 107 colleges and universities which were established just for black students in the late 19th century in the decades following the 1863 Emancipation, and still have overwhelmingly black enrollments. The link below, gives a complete list. In fact, there is even one in New Orleans (Xavier) which is both black and Catholic. The USA also has 2 historically black medical schools (Howard and Meharry).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...Black_Colleges

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_universities

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-11-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 10-12-2016, 08:59 PM

10 posts, read 7,440 times
I had black friends tell me they were screamed at from cars and turned down from certain jobs because of their race. I believed them and they told me
"You are one of the only person that believes I'm not lying about this".

Racism is firmly entrenched in Canadian society against blacks, natives and others but "denial" helps cover it up.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:20 PM

9,631 posts, read 6,608,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abewzy View Post
I had black friends tell me they were screamed at from cars and turned down from certain jobs because of their race. I believed them and they told me
"You are one of the only person that believes I'm not lying about this".

Racism is firmly entrenched in Canadian society against blacks, natives and others but "denial" helps cover it up.
There really is no comparison in terms of racism with USA vs Canada. USA is hands down, by far more racist than Canada. The whole tomfoolery that is this BLM/All-Live-Matter, coupled with the large amount of hate groups (both white AND black) should be proof enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or