U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,145,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It isn't lacking. They are there and visible and have a voice in Canadian society. Perhaps you just haven't looked for them or have closed your own eyes to the evidence of them.

Quick questions Zoisite.

How many members of Canadian Parliament are Black or First Nations? Could you name them? (I can by the way)

How many City Council members are Black or First Nations in the city where you reside?

Who is your favorite Canadian Black Author or Poet and was their literature a part of your school curriculum growing up?

Who is the most recognizable Canadian Civil Rights activist for the Black community in your local area?

Finally, how many Black or First Nations members make up the Board of Directors or executive positions where yourself or significant other work or worked in the past?

No one is saying they do not exist, we are saying that the voices are not loud enough or pronounced. Did you bother to watch the Video I posted from Mr. Walcott?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 PM

1,834 posts, read 1,795,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
..... When you were taught about Black History as part of your "Canadian" history class. What time period did it begin according to the text books? That is the issue many of us have with what is taught.
My history lessons about blacks in Canada, if I recall correctly, began with Canadian history around the 1500's era, with the beginning of the passage of black slaves out of USA into Canada. About the underground railroad and the clandestine network of people of all races helping black slaves to freedom in Canada and about the beginning of the abolitionist movement.

Is that what you're asking about?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
My history lessons about blacks in Canada, if I recall correctly, began with Canadian history around the 1500's era, with the beginning of the passage of black slaves out of USA into Canada. About the underground railroad and the clandestine network of people of all races helping black slaves to freedom in Canada and about the beginning of the abolitionist movement.

Is that what you're asking about?

That is a part of it. Did it include a section teaching about Slavery in Canada, not just free slaves from the US?

According to what I was taught in Toronto schools, that never happened.
This may be of interest to you: A Past, Denied

Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM

3,098 posts, read 2,611,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Pardon me then- how about racial demographics of a college student body, Madam P.C.

It may not be important to you, but scholarly researchers often use such information to gain insight on academic performance/ issues related to race, socioeconomic background. Many many other facets of society would find such information insightful and important given the diversity of society. That Canadian colleges DONT- is something imo.

Also, it is very common for American college students to be aware of the racial demographics of their colleges (and administrators realizing the importance of disclosing the breakdown). Nothing to do with racism whatsover.
Well, here you go The enrollment controversy* - Macleans OnCampus

Old 04-30-2012, 01:00 PM

3,098 posts, read 2,611,102 times
Quote:
That is a part of it. Did it include a section teaching about Slavery in Canada, not just free slaves from the US?

According to what I was taught in Toronto schools, that never happened.
This may be of interest to you: A Past, Denied
Even the film maker in the link you cite says in the comments section that the majority of slaves in Canada were aboriginal rather than black. You seem rather focused on black racism.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM

5,661 posts, read 6,127,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Racial demographics of a student body? Personally I think that is a rather repugnant idea. What purpose does it serve other than being able to say that a certain "race" performs better or worse than another. Oh yeah - another purpose - you can choose a college based on how many people of certain race do (or don't) go there? Segregation - whether it be physical or statistical serves primarily to DIVIDE people. We're all of the same race - the HUMAN race. What's next? Indicate your religion and sexual orientation!?
Without knowing the racial composition of the student body, how do Canadian universities determine whether racism may exist in the admissions process?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM

1,834 posts, read 1,795,574 times
Quote:
Quick questions Zoisite.

How many members of Canadian Parliament are Black or First Nations? Could you name them? (I can by the way)

How many City Council members are Black or First Nations in the city where you reside?

Who is your favorite Canadian Black Author or Poet and was their literature a part of your school curriculum growing up?

Who is the most recognizable Canadian Civil Rights activist for the Black community in your local area?

Finally, how many Black or First Nations members make up the Board of Directors or executive positions where yourself or significant other work or worked in the past?

No one is saying they do not exist, we are saying that the voices are not loud enough or pronounced. Did you bother to watch the Video I posted from Mr. Walcott?
All of those questions are pointless to me because I don't pay attention to it, I don't care about black people any more or less than I care about white, brown, red or yellow people. Nobody is my favorite color or ethnicity, nobody is more important to me than anyone else. I don't base the importance of a person's works in Canadian society on the color of their skin or their place of origin. Importance is based on what they do for the betterment of Canadian society as a whole, not on who they are.

I am unable to watch the video right now but I noticed the title of it says "Obama and Canada". I'll try to watch it when I'm able so I can find out what is the relevance of the foreign person named Obama to a country that is foreign to him and not within his purview as a political leader. If I'm supposed to attach any special significance to him because of the color of his skin .... sorry, but I don't ..... he is colorless to me. He is just another "person".

Old 04-30-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Even the film maker in the link you cite says in the comments section that the majority of slaves in Canada were aboriginal rather than black. You seem rather focused on black racism.
And your point?

There was Aboriginal slavery in the US and throughout the world as well, does that make the fact that Blacks were slaves in Canada any less important to discuss?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
All of those questions are pointless to me because I don't pay attention to it, I don't care about black people any more or less than I care about white, brown, red or yellow people. Nobody is my favorite color or ethnicity, nobody is more important to me than anyone else. I don't base the importance of a person's works in Canadian society on the color of their skin or their place of origin. Importance is based on what they do for the betterment of Canadian society as a whole, not on who they are.

I am unable to watch the video right now but I noticed the title of it says "Obama and Canada". I'll try to watch it when I'm able so I can find out what is the relevance of the foreign person named Obama to a country that is foreign to him and not within his purview as a political leader. If I'm supposed to attach any special significance to him because of the color of his skin .... sorry, but I don't ..... he is colorless to me. He is just another "person".

Zoisite, all this proves is that you yourself are not racist. It does not mean that this is not worth discussing though. If we do not look at the accomplishments in the Black and Aboriginal Community how can we gauge whether those two groups are being included in Canadian society.

Just because you are not racist, does not mean that those in powerful positions are not.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM

435 posts, read 470,293 times
Here's a typical black history lesson in a Canadian school:

" Black people escape to Canada from the US by the underground railroad, where they lived happily ever after. Somehow, they all disappeared until 1970s when Canada's immigration policies changed. The end."

And nobody said that Black history should have more exclusive attention. If black history was really included in school, when we learn about Samuel de Champlain, Matthieu da Costa name would be mention as he was standing next to the man. Elijah McCoy would be mentioned at the same time as Alexander Graham bell when talking about Canadian inventors. When pictures of the brave men that fought in WWI are shown, we will also see pictures of men in the No. 2 Construction Battalion. Books by Hill, and Clarke would be read along with Atwood and Mowat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada