U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
And your point?

There was Aboriginal slavery in the US and throughout the world as well, does that make the fact that Blacks were slaves in Canada any less important to discuss?
It makes you one of many. If we’re going to have a special and separate section for every group that every felt disenfranchised or felt their contributions to Canadian society went unrecognised, there wouldn’t be time for anything else. we would have a German history month, a Japanese and Chinese history month, etc. These things should be taught in schools, but each of these groups has legitimate grievances in how they were treated at various times in Canadian history.

Racism wasn't only directed at non-whites in Canada's past. It was directed at non-Anglos.

Your comparison with the US doesn't wash because Canada's history isn't the same as the US so you're comparing apples and oranges. There is a reason there is more black history taught in the US, and it is related to American history of slavery, the Civil War, and Jim Crow laws. Black history is relevant to the formation of the US in a way it isn't to Canada.

First Nation history on the other hand, is relevant to Canadian history as a separate subject, and because reserves are often in the north, they are easily overlooked by the vast majority of Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM

3,458 posts, read 4,009,760 times
Netwit, I think we actually agree on this topic to a certain extent. Your comment on First Nation history? 100% agree it should have a dedicated subject. But you are misinterpreting my point. No one is asking for entire classes being dedicated to Black History, I am asking for it to be included in Canadian history classes to a greater extent though. Most importantly I would like it to be taught correctly, which is not happening currently.

Edit: I just noticed Average Fruit's post. This is exactly what the issue is, black history is taught in a self congratulatory manner in Canadian history classes. Rather than teaching the facts and admitting a history of mistreatment. And yes, this should apply to ALL groups, regardless of race.

One cannot deny that statistically speaking there are two communities in Canada that are falling behind at a rapid pace and an open and honest review of history may point towards ways to improve the current condition of the First Nations and Black communities in Canada.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Netwit, I think we actually agree on this topic to a certain extent. Your comment on First Nation history? 100% agree it should have a dedicated subject. But you are misinterpreting my point. No one is asking for entire classes being dedicated to Black History, I am asking for it to be included in Canadian history classes to a greater extent though. Most importantly I would like it to be taught correctly, which is not happening currently.
Well, that's good to know. Then I certainly did misinterpret your point. I understood you to be saying that there should be a special black history section on the level of the US. I think there should be entire classes dedicated to aboriginal history, given our history as a nation, and given the shameful conditions in which the First Nations exist to this day.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,774,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale the male View Post
I know this has been asked millions of times but I'll try and make this thread more unique.

It seems that people automatically equate non racist as white people who are very accepting and tolerant of other races and cultures.
(so called anti racists often engage in double standards is what it seems, as I've pointed out before.)

Do Canadians often use terms like African American?

Or if Canadians are less racist than Americans, is it simply a matter of "not seeing color"?
No such term as "Afro-CANADIAN". Racism in Canada is not a white disliking anyone who is not white. Our racism is one based in equality...all races disapprove of all other races equally.

The Korean store keeper thinks he is better than me...and I think I am better than him..and both of us know this...and some how we get a kick out of each other..His Italian brother in law...well...I make jokes about him being Italian...and he likes it..Some times I walk in and say to "Eddie"..."make it snappy china boy...knowing full well he is Korean...so we arm wrestle on the counter to prove who is superior...he flicked me in the forehead with his finger during the match...

So now I have to sneak up on him and play a practical joke...kind of out zen him..

The white trashy lady that comes in wearing dreads and thinking she is black is another matter...you just have to humor her because we know she is not black..but we don't want to break her bubble by telling her- that her new found identity is a fantasy.

There are a couple of cool black guys in the hood...and a third one that hates white people but does not mind making money off of them..

The only problem is when INSTITUTIONALIZED blacks leak into the hood from the projects..they look upon whites with a shifty eye..and it's not a good idea to make eye contact with them...they are ghettoized and a perfect example of our failed all inclusive politically correct system...

The only time I had a problem was when a project girl came to visit..later on things went missing...so - much like the white trash crack heads on welfare..you just don't bother with them.

As CANADIANS - we judge by the character of the person...When the older brother of Eddie the Korean died........hundreds attended the funeral...The rich gallery owner..the baker...all the local business people...even Todd..the local mentally ill crack head..who the deceased Korean..would reach into the till and lend money too.

We all laugh at and love each other...BUT as I mentioned - Canada's system who ran off black fathers if the family was taking welfare...are becoming a problem- fatherless boys now young men- are bitter...and hateful.

It would have been better to leave the fathers in place whether they worked or not...Liberals and their policy of man hate- are not about to reap the reward ...in the form of black allienation...big mistake...kicking dad out if mum and the kids were going on the dole.

Now Muslims...well- they for the most part think they are pure and better than the rest...They are polite..but they know how to manipulate liberal weakness.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
No such term as "Afro-CANADIAN". Racism in Canada is not a white disliking anyone who is not white. Our racism is one based in equality...all races disapprove of all other races equally.

The Korean store keeper thinks he is better than me...and I think I am better than him..and both of us know this...and some how we get a kick out of each other..His Italian brother in law...well...I make jokes about him being Italian...and he likes it..Some times I walk in and say to "Eddie"..."make it snappy china boy...knowing full well he is Korean...so we arm wrestle on the counter to prove who is superior...he flicked me in the forehead with his finger during the match...

So now I have to sneak up on him and play a practical joke...kind of out zen him..

The white trashy lady that comes in wearing dreads and thinking she is black is another matter...you just have to humor her because we know she is not black..but we don't want to break her bubble by telling her- that her new found identity is a fantasy.

There are a couple of cool black guys in the hood...and a third one that hates white people but does not mind making money off of them..

The only problem is when INSTITUTIONALIZED blacks leak into the hood from the projects..they look upon whites with a shifty eye..and it's not a good idea to make eye contact with them...they are ghettoized and a perfect example of our failed all inclusive politically correct system...

The only time I had a problem was when a project girl came to visit..later on things went missing...so - much like the white trash crack heads on welfare..you just don't bother with them.

As CANADIANS - we judge by the character of the person...When the older brother of Eddie the Korean died........hundreds attended the funeral...The rich gallery owner..the baker...all the local business people...even Todd..the local mentally ill crack head..who the deceased Korean..would reach into the till and lend money too.

We all laugh at and love each other...BUT as I mentioned - Canada's system who ran off black fathers if the family was taking welfare...are becoming a problem- fatherless boys now young men- are bitter...and hateful.

It would have been better to leave the fathers in place whether they worked or not...Liberals and their policy of man hate- are not about to reap the reward ...in the form of black allienation...big mistake...kicking dad out if mum and the kids were going on the dole.

Now Muslims...well- they for the most part think they are pure and better than the rest...They are polite..but they know how to manipulate liberal weakness.
I have to ROFLMFAO at that, excuse the language. won't do. You are absolutely dead on.

As far as the rest of it, I really don't have a clue what you're saying but that first line is worth reading the post.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,654,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, that's good to know. Then I certainly did misinterpret your point. I understood you to be saying that there should be a special black history section on the level of the US. I think there should be entire classes dedicated to aboriginal history, given our history as a nation, and given the shameful conditions in which the First Nations exist to this day.
Way out in the backwater, redneck Saskatchewan town I went to school in, we did have a first nations history/social studies class. Figure that one out.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have to ROFLMFAO at that, excuse the language. won't do. You are absolutely dead on.

As far as the rest of it, I really don't have a clue what you're saying but that first line is worth reading the post.
That is what I sense. We all tolerate each other. The kids are trained at an early age not to see color..which is kind of redundant..When I was a little kid my music teacher was black..she was kind of scary..hanging out with her son Marvin after the music lesson...I never had to be programmed NOT to see color..Marvin just looked like Marvin..I only learned he was black 40 years later.

Canada in truth creates racism by constantly pointing out "diversity". I just wish they would stop and let people form relationships- naturally.

As I mentioned, creating ghettos through non-profit housing caused a lot of problems..years ago I gave a black mother and her son a ride home late at night..They were doing some work on a film set...After I dropped them off at Jane and Finch...the lady said "No matter what..don't get out of the car..don't stop for gas..until you are out of the neighborhood"- That has stuck with me to this day..That their is a severe divide in Toronto between black and white..probably worse than what is in America.

Their ghettos happened on their own- our ghettos were intentionally created through poor planning and prejudice.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,635,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That is what I sense. We all tolerate each other. The kids are trained at an early age not to see color..which is kind of redundant..When I was a little kid my music teacher was black..she was kind of scary..hanging out with her son Marvin after the music lesson...I never had to be programmed NOT to see color..Marvin just looked like Marvin..I only learned he was black 40 years later.

Canada in truth creates racism by constantly pointing out "diversity". I just wish they would stop and let people form relationships- naturally.

Very well said!

That applies not only to Canada.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM

BLACK PRIDE- GAY PRIDE AND ALL THAT OTHER STUFF - just causes more resentment...telling a black person to be PROUD is foolish. What takes place with this artificial state endorsed pride is that it creates an aggressive attitude that might not be there originally.

Before this modern era there was probably less racial strife. People will actually make friends naturally..If you look at the book by Mark Twain..where the boy makes friends with "Jim" the black guy..is a good thing -disregarding what the socio-political climate was at the time.

Now they ban the book..instead like religion tossing the baby out with the bath water.

I swear that if in the last 40 years they did not mention race once in the media..there would be no racism in Canada.

Like belief in the devil, the more you mention the entity- the more life you bring to it.

Affirmative action hiring policy has done two thing...cause more resentment...ONE - people who are not qualified fill positions with some who are inept...TWO- Caused an abuse of the system in the form of prejudice- imagined and real.

Martin Luther King solved the problem in his speech..."A person will not be judged by the color of their skin but by their character"- to para phrase. King like a doctor brought about instant healing with this single phase..but some liked being sick- some liked being the victim and some profit from racism...which most black and white AMERICAN activists do.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:55 PM

7,247 posts, read 6,588,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

What I dont get is that Vancouver is a city full of Asians and last time I was there, I remember there is like 1 Asian tv news anchorwoman (who was full of herself btw) - either the Connie Chung syndrome didnt kick in up there, or the glass ceiling is even harder to break...
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

Connie Chung info is available thru google.com
Well now I'm back from walking the dog so I'll take a step back in time here. Just can't keep up with all of you fast typists.

I had to look up who this Connie Chung person is and what her accomplishments are.

Connie Chung: an American journalist who has been an anchor and reporter for U.S. television news networks. The daughter of a high-ranking Chinese diplomat, she was born and raised in Washington, D.C. She graduated from Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring, Maryland, and went on to receive a degree in journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park in 1969. She has been married to talk show host Maury Povich since 1984. Chung converted to Judaism upon her marriage to Povich.

Connie Chung has a very impressive career in American broadcasting: Connie Chung - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Vancouver's broadcasting stations have a few newscasters of Asian heritage so I think you just haven't noticed or paid attention to them - I don't see that the work they do or their birth heritage makes them any more exemplary or note-worthy than any of the other newscasters of other heritage though. If the point of your mention of Ms. Chung was about one-upmanship regarding Asian journalists and news announcers' accomplishments in America compared to those of Canadians I think I can mention a newscaster of Asian heritage that I really like very much and whose personal accomplishments and contributions to Canadian society are no less exemplary than those of Connie Chung, although she's not noted for being involved or vocal about Canadian politics the way Ms. Chung is about American politics.

Dr. Rhonda Low: Vancouver, British Columbia — Dr. Rhonda Low, Bsc. (Hons) MD CCFP FCFP, hosts Your Health daily on CTV News, providing information current to today's health issues.

Dr. Low's community medical services include examiner for the Clinical Competence Program of B.C. for UBC and the College of Physicians and Surgeons as well as Secretary/Executive Committee Member for St. Paul's Hospital Annual Refresher Course for Primary Care Physicians; the largest annual medical update course in Canada. She continues to lecture at and produce various medical education conferences for physicians and the public around Vancouver.

She is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Family & Community Medicine at the University of British Columbia, where she helped pioneer the "Interviewing Skills" (Bedside Manners) course in the 1st year medical school curriculum. She has taught both undergraduate and post-graduate medical students, and has been twice nominated for Teacher of the Year award in the Faculty of Medicine, UBC.

Dr. Low started her journalistic career co-hosting the 1996 thirteen part television series on Alternative Medicine for the Life and Knowledge Television networks and has guest hosted for Dr. Art Hister's "Housecalls" radio program on CKNW. She is also a regular guest expert for The Bill Good Show on CKNW, moderates and speaks at many public education events in Vancouver.

In 1993, Dr. Low helped establish the Asian Woman's Pap Smear Clinic (now known as the Asian Woman's Health Centre) to help break down cultural barriers and enable Asian women to access pap and breast examination screening.

She was born and raised in Vancouver and practices family medicine full-time in Vancouver. She has experience practicing within the American HMO setting. Dr. Low received her Bachelors of Science degree with Honours in Cell Biology from UBC and is a graduate of UBC Medical School. She is a Fellow of both the College of Family Physicians of Canada and American College of Family Physicians.

Is either one of these 2 women a better person and more noteworthy because of their Asian heritage? I don't think so. I think they are both noteworthy because of their accomplishments and their dedication to their chosen careers and what they've contributed to their respective societies.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-30-2012 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or