Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:20 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
No ... I know these few ( like a couple of people) were from Quebec. Some people where I worked knew them hence why I know. In general I found people in Moncton were pretty nice and often did not even get that you did not speak French if you replied in English because they speak both back and forth in the same conversations. For one particular man I joked with him saying sorry I am from Toronto .. you are lucky I even speak English ( ..lol he did not see the humor) and one of my co-workers who spoke French assisted him.
At a Summer job at a museum, many years ago, we once had a Quebecker come in who was angry about the hassle he went through trying to get a francophone tour guide... we had one available, but had to track the person down (this was in an English town, not Moncton)...anyway, the Quebecker gave us some attitude and left despite the fact that the Francophone tour guide showed up and was ready to give him a tour. There are some fairly militant Quebeckers, but they rarely throw a fit outside of Quebec.

Why they feel they're entitled to pull that attitude in New Brunswick, I have no idea. It's an officially bilingual province, not officially unilingual like Quebec... not every town is French/English bilingual, nor is every business. It's funny because I've heard many Quebeckers get condescending about the "type" of French spoken in New Brunswick... even when they hear French spoken, they don't like the Acadian variety. Like they're more cosmopolitan or culturally superior if they're from Chicoutimi or Saguenay? Well, if they don't like the English or the Chiac in New Brunswick, they should continue to take their business to Florida instead. Lol.

To answer the original post... I don't personally believe that Canadians are any more or less racist than Americans. I don't believe we're any more sensitive about it either. Americans maybe are more open about what they think, but the attitudes are probably about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 03:21 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,053 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
At a Summer job at a museum, many years ago, we once had a Quebecker come in who was angry about the hassle he went through trying to get a francophone tour guide... we had one available, but had to track the person down (this was in an English town, not Moncton)...anyway, the Quebecker gave us some attitude and left despite the fact that the Francophone tour guide showed up and was ready to give him a tour. There are some fairly militant Quebeckers, but they rarely throw a fit outside of Quebec.

Why they feel they're entitled to pull that attitude in New Brunswick, I have no idea. It's an officially bilingual province, not officially unilingual like Quebec... not every town is French/English bilingual, nor is every business. It's funny because I've heard many Quebeckers get condescending about the "type" of French spoken in New Brunswick... even when they hear French spoken, they don't like the Acadian variety. Like they're more cosmopolitan or culturally superior if they're from Chicoutimi or Saguenay? Well, if they don't like the English or the Chiac in New Brunswick, they should continue to take their business to Florida instead. Lol.

To answer the original post... I don't personally believe that Canadians are any more or less racist than Americans. I don't believe we're any more sensitive about it either. Americans maybe are more open about what they think, but the attitudes are probably about the same.
This situation happend to be in Moncton too lol. I honestly found Acadians 1/2 the time did not realize I did not understand as people from Moncton often speak both fluently and go back and forth between English and French while talking. I honestly really had an overall positive experience in Moncton as in general I found people really freindly and easy going.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:39 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
I doubt the stats are different in most other Canadian cities:

Ottawa police stopping Middle Eastern, black drivers at 'disproportionate' rate: report - Ottawa - CBC News

Old 10-25-2016, 06:13 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'm fine with getting stopped more for being black. A certain degree of profiling is required, in my opinion. It's the follow-up that makes the difference.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I'm fine with getting stopped more for being black. A certain degree of profiling is required, in my opinion. It's the follow-up that makes the difference.
I am actually not "fine" with you getting stopped more for being black.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:16 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Are you actually black? I think stopping someone more for their race is horrible....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada