Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 02:20 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
.... I mean, colleges in Canada dont even have racial breakdowns of their students???
What?

Okay, that just totally threw me for a loop.

What is racial breakdown of students? Pardon me, that sounds to me like some form of racism but perhaps I am misunderstanding. I've worked in colleges in Canada and have never heard of racial breakdown of students. Is that some sort of segregation of students according to race? Or is it something else? Perhaps it is something I know of by different terminology. How is racial breakdown done and what is the purpose? Please explain what that is as you know it to be.

Oh, and who is Connie Chung and what is the Connie Chung syndrome?

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-30-2012 at 02:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,088,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
What?

Okay, that just totally threw me for a loop.

What is racial breakdown of students? Pardon me, that sounds to me like racism but perhaps I am misunderstanding. I've worked in colleges in Canada and have never heard of racial breakdown of students. Is that some sort of segregation of students according to race? Or is it something else? Perhaps it is something I know of by different terminology. How is racial breakdown done and what is the purpose? Please explain what that is as you know it to be.

Pardon me then- how about racial demographics of a college student body, Madam P.C.

It may not be important to you, but scholarly researchers often use such information to gain insight on academic performance/ issues related to race, socioeconomic background. Many many other facets of society would find such information insightful and important given the diversity of society. That Canadian colleges DONT- is something imo.

Also, it is very common for American college students to be aware of the racial demographics of their colleges (and administrators realizing the importance of disclosing the breakdown). Nothing to do with racism whatsover.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:50 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
it is very common for American college students to be aware of the racial demographics of their colleges
Why?

And who is Connie Chung and what is the Connie Chung syndrome?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,088,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why?

And who is Connie Chung and what is the Connie Chung syndrome?

For instance, there are many African-Americans who prefer to seek colleges that are considered "historically Black." Howard University in DC is one. I am Asian-American and bein aware of the demographics of a school was important to me- as it was, for many of my fellow students. This was already many years ago. Dont try to insinuate racism as you have already.
Apologies if such honesty is hard for you to take in.

Connie Chung info is available thru google.com

Old 04-30-2012, 04:22 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,244,374 times
Racial demographics of a student body? Personally I think that is a rather repugnant idea. What purpose does it serve other than being able to say that a certain "race" performs better or worse than another. Oh yeah - another purpose - you can choose a college based on how many people of certain race do (or don't) go there? Segregation - whether it be physical or statistical serves primarily to DIVIDE people. We're all of the same race - the HUMAN race. What's next? Indicate your religion and sexual orientation!?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Another way at looking at it though- is that the minority groups in America rally for more voice than their counterparts in Canada..
This sentence sums up exactly what the difference is between the US and Canada. THe reason why people in America "fuss" about racism is because they have organizations in place and an engaged community when it comes to race issues.

In Canada First Nations and the Black Community in general have no political organizations in place to raise awareness, because those two communities do not have a large enough group involved in Politics and Business to push the issues that are important to them.

I have lived in both countries and in general every day Canadians and Americans are accepting of people of other races, but Americans will more readily admit that racism still exists when Canadians try to ignore they have those issues. Look at this thread for example and the ignorance to even the existence of racism in Canada.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Rinaldo Walcott breaks down the differences between the two countries a day after Barack Obama's election win.

Rinaldo Walcott - YouTube

Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 8,654 times
I am living in Canada right now. Still i haven't seen any case of racism here around my place. People are from different places and religions. Local people are also quite humorous. So helpful.
I cant say about US. After 2001 many things has been changed there.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 AM

484 posts, read 1,278,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I have lived in both countries and in general every day Canadians and Americans are accepting of people of other races, but Americans will more readily admit that racism still exists when Canadians try to ignore they have those issues. Look at this thread for example and the ignorance to even the existence of racism in Canada.

Was I right? Or was I right? Great video btw, Mr. Walcott hard everything on the nail (like he always do).

I don't know if some people are oblivious or ignoring what racism really is, but we are not talking about name calling or getting beat up for the colour of you skin. We're talking about Racial profiling, systemic Racism in the Canadian Criminal Justice System, in Canadian hiring practices, disparities in education and even healthcare.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,244,374 times
I think there is a simpler explanation: logically speaking, you can't ignore what you have never seen. And there are a lot of Canadians that have never seen racism in action. Netwit was one of them, I was another. I (quite literally) had never witnessed racism until I moved to Alberta at the age of 20. When I moved to Edmonton I was horrified to hear anti-Native comments. That was my first exposure to racism. In 20 years. I am sure if I had grown up in Edmonton I would have seen racism from a young age first hand. And certainly when I lived in Halifax I heard anti-Black comments. Not a lot. But a few. I think most of the racism is as Average Fruit stated, subtler and not called or seen for what it actually is. It's the unstated reason for the job you don't get, or the treatment you get in a store, etc.

It is all a question of where you live. The ones that have not seen it are not "ignoring the issue" - logic would dictate that until people become aware of something/are exposed to it, they can hardly be accused of ignoring it. And if you don't live in an area where racism rears its ugly head, you'll have a hard time jumping on a bandwagon to combat it, or for that matter, to turning a blind eye. Just as you aren't thinking about or campaigning for poor children in Africa, nor do you even think of them, until a World Vision commercial comes on the television and educates you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada