Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 02:15 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,405 times

Advertisements

Canadians are much less open about accepting new immigrants/people of different races into their white society as far as jobs/opportunities go. Most understand the immigrants need to arrive to help Canada grow, and that's ok as long as they "stay over there". Canadians will, as always, be polite to everyone, but good luck getting hired in many good jobs if you're not pearly white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There is certainly much less racial tension historically in Canada than the US, but the non white population of Canada has been much lower than the US until recently so I'm sure that has kept tensions lower as well. I will say though that like you, one of the most racist people I have ever met was someone in Hamilton.
You are right. Well maybe she was from rural British Columbia a little bit outside of Vancouver.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 AM

20 posts, read 62,747 times
Speaking as a Black Canadian who also worked in the States.

I think Canadians are as AWARE of race as Americans. The big difference comes in tolerance. Canadians generally care/tolerate often times celebrate differences in race and culture - many Americans - do not.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:18 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro_2011 View Post
Speaking as a Black Canadian who also worked in the States.

I think Canadians are as AWARE of race as Americans. The big difference comes in tolerance. Canadians generally care/tolerate often times celebrate differences in race and culture - many Americans - do not.
My understand is that being black in Canada is quite different from being black in America - that's not to say that discrimination or bias doesn't exist, it is just being black doesn't seem to carry so much baggage in Canada.

In the US, a black American is black first, then an American. it is like a sticker is permanently attached to his forehead, and that black person usually willingly accept that as the core of his identity (I am black, not white/lanito/asian, and sometimes make all sorts of efforts to use that. You have black music, black food, black clubs, black culture, black this black that, it is like a country within a country. Same goes for the Hispanics. Canada is far less black conscient than that.

On the US news, politics is always about race and media is obsessed with it. If there is a crime, the question is the race of the victim, the criminal and even the police officer. What the hell? People think that way automatically and it is sickening. In Canada, people hardly make such a big deal about race constantly AFAIK. We just seldom talk about race, even during general elections. I don't remember any political specifically addressing to a certain ethnic minority and I prefer this way.

I am sick of "I am proud of being black/latino/whatever" slogan. What's to be proud of? It is just your physical attribute. It is like saying I am proud of my big feet or hairy arm. The fact that people make it a big deal (negative or pretentiously positive) is already a mistake.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:31 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Is there such a thing is Black Canadian culture?

Old 07-08-2016, 01:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I don't think so. I have never heard of such a thing here.

How would "black culture" be defined? It's a mystery to me.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Is there such a thing is Black Canadian culture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSkqSv6fcSw

Old 07-08-2016, 01:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think so. I have never heard of such a thing here.

How would "black culture" be defined? It's a mystery to me.

I really hesitate to comment on this since I'm no expert, but I'm assuming that Canadian Black culture is more integrated into the Canadian mainstream. This is not suggesting that blacks don't have separate histories or issues they face today.

Of the black people I know, three are born and bred Canadians. Two are from Kenya, although I've lost touch with them. I also know someone from Jamaica.

Some of Vancouver's famous black artists are originally from the US who made their homes here decades ago.

So it's a mixed bag of cultures, rather than a single culture. Which in a way reflects Canada as a whole.

Numbers of course matter as well.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-08-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 02:11 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I really hesitate to comment on this since I'm no expert, but I'm assuming that Canadian Black culture is more integrated into the Canadian mainstream. This is not suggesting that blacks don't have separate histories or issues they face today.

Of the black people I know, three are born and bred Canadians. Two are from Africa. Kenya, although I've lost touch with them. I also know someone from Jamaica.

Some of Vancouver's famous black artists are originally from the US who made their homes here decades ago.

So it's a mixed bag of cultures, rather than a single culture. Which in a way reflects Canada as a whole.
this is the way it is supposed to be.

Black people are different. They should NOT feel they belong to a collectivity called "black Canadians" - it is stupid. It is like we don't feel we belong to an imaginary group called "tall Canadians" or "Canadians who love to ski". We make friends, associate with other people based on common interest, shared mindset or similar work background, and why do we label ourselves as "black" and then stick to it? That's the problem with the US racial culture - too many labels . Does a black medical doctor really have much in common with a black janitor?

I am not sure black Canadians are more integrated or not, but even if they are not, I think people should always identify themselves as individuals, not a member of a collectivity based on some superficial thing such as skin color in common, and others should treat them that way too.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:42 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Sorry natnasci I don't get what any of what he says has to do with my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada