Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
New York has more Caribbean people than all of Canada not including people from the Dr and Pr? I have to say I am surprised. Does that include Haitians?
Does that account for the fact the population of NY is higher then in Toronto in general .... this also makes our Carnival seem even better ... considering we have a lower population lol !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It takes way too many people to put that type of event together. I personally know lots of people from the Caribbean involved in putting on this event. It sponsored by companies too and having some people not from the Caribbean involved in organizing this event does not make it less Caribbean, but it does mean it is more important to the city as a whole. Toronto is about inclusion so it is not uncommon to find people in the parade and at these events from all background. That is part of what makes all these cultural events in Toronto great! This parade belong to the city and not just the Caribbean community! That is a statement of pride because that is just how good it has gotten. When it is that big you need more hands on deck ...in Toronto we party together. Does not matter which group is having a festival .... People from every cultural group show up to have fun.

This year I will be in New York on the day onlf the parade so I am glad I got to go to the junior parade this past Saturday which was great!!! The costumes were good. This year there will be no fences again so seeing the costumes and taking pictures will be easier.

Its not about who is involved. Its about who manages it. The Caribbean guys who handled it were tossed out.

Caribana is about Canadians making a lot of money from that event and therefore wanting to ensure that it survived. One can only wonder what are the economic benefits to Toronto's Caribbean population. I found out that some of the main sponsors aren't going to be involved from next year.

BTW this also happened in London. In NYC government doesn't involve itself in ethnic events, except for issuing permits, providing police and doing the clean up after the event ends. Multiculturalism in the USA is bottom up. Not the kind of social engineering that one might see in Canada.

BTW the 2000 Canada census shows a 26% poverty rates among Caribbean people. Higher than the rate among US based Caribbean people. Given that Canada is way more selective about which immigrants are let in, when compared to the USA this was a shock.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:59 AM

51 posts, read 50,966 times
they share anglo culture which often obsesses and focuses on race

I wouldn't be surprised if a canadian is also race/skin color obsessed like americans tend to be. (Australians are also like that and the british too)

Anglo culture is so meeh

Continental European culture > Anglo culture

Old 07-21-2016, 06:00 AM

7 posts, read 7,097 times
Agree with Average Fruit. Canadians generally are just as racist as Americans, we are just more subtle and covert about it.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:14 PM

20 posts, read 62,749 times
Semi agree- Canadians may dislike, but there is a level of openness and understanding, even if its at a minimum. America, especially in the Southern states, you can feel the hate like a magnifying glass in the sun.

I will say this, just this week however, I did encounter a confederate flag in Toronto. Was not amused, the individual driving the vehicle was driving behind me, and approached me very slowly...

Last edited by maestro_2011; 07-21-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 01:35 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro_2011 View Post
Semi agree- Canadians may dislike, but there is a level of openness and understanding, even if its at a minimum. America, especially in the Southern states, you can feel the hate like a magnifying glass in the sun.

I don't know what South you are talking about because it sure isn't true today in the South that I lived in and know. Many of the African Americans have moved back to the South. Sure there are some incidents of racism as elsewhere but definitely not like it used to be. Boston is far more racist than Atlanta.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:48 PM

Talking Too big to the little guys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Its not about who is involved. Its about who manages it. The Caribbean guys who handled it were tossed out.

Caribana is about Canadians making a lot of money from that event and therefore wanting to ensure that it survived. One can only wonder what are the economic benefits to Toronto's Caribbean population. I found out that some of the main sponsors aren't going to be involved from next year.

BTW this also happened in London. In NYC government doesn't involve itself in ethnic events, except for issuing permits, providing police and doing the clean up after the event ends. Multiculturalism in the USA is bottom up. Not the kind of social engineering that one might see in Canada.

BTW the 2000 Canada census shows a 26% poverty rates among Caribbean people. Higher than the rate among US based Caribbean people. Given that Canada is way more selective about which immigrants are let in, when compared to the USA this was a shock.

The event is way too big to be managed by the community exclusively. This is no tiny event this is huge and very professionally run. The Scotia Bank sponsors this event and the event is still managed in many aspects by the community. Most of the Bands that make, organize and sell costumes are run by members if the Caribbean community is the GTA. Many of the vendors at the parades are from the Caribbean community. This event is too big to managed exclusively by members of the community. Toronto is about inclusion. It is not fair that the Caribbean community lock out any other group that has someone to offer to make the event a success regardless of their background. This event grew to be so successful that is really belongs to the city and if anything that should be a huge badge of price to the Caribbean community as it is to me personally. A bunch immigrants from many tiny Islands got together and help create the biggest and most popular event the city holds annually ! If that is not something to be proud of I don't know what is.

When you say Canadians making a lot out of the event ... well we all live here. We are Canadians. My parents, extended family and many of their friends can her in the 70s and have live in Canada longer now then they have lived in the Caribbean. They consider themselves just as Canadian as anyone else. This is the beauty of Toronto too me. Most of us or either immigrants or people who have parents or grandparents that were immigrants, but most of us still see ourselves as Canadian. I don't really consider myself any less Canadian then an Anglo, Native or French Canadian ... I am just the new breed of Canadian !

Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 PM

Default What area ?

Quote:

I will say this, just this week however, I did encounter a confederate flag in Toronto. Was not amused, the individual driving the vehicle was driving behind me, and approached me very slowly...
What are were you driving in? That is unsettling. I think I likely live in one the more whiter areas of the city. I am literally the one of the few non Anglo people living on my street ( very untypical for Toronto... especially Scarborough) and that would hugely concern me.

You never know what to expect. It only takes a few idiots. Some of my family lives in the USA in Las Vegas and has a Nazi symbols and racist stuff spray painted in their drive way as well as anti- Arab comments written. The ironic part is my cousins are fair, with blonde hair and green eyes and of Middle Easter Descent and my cousin's wife has blonde hair, blues eyes, fair skinned and Jewish. Some teens in the area decided they were going to become Neo-Nazis ( I guess there were not after school programs available). It took my loud mouth Trini Aunt to go over an call the kid out on what he was doing (she is one crazy lady) and she realized his parents were being pretty neglectful ex. never home and never anything to eat. Now he is her best friend because she invites him over to eat dinner sometimes lol.

Honestly a watched a few documentaries about the modern KKK in the USA. I already warned my husband who is not Canadian and has an accident. If we are ever driving through the backwoods USA and he is see those flags in the area or any of the other KKK related stuff if anyone asked where he is from ( he has an accent)... say he is from Quebec/ French Canadian and get the hell out of their fast.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:32 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:

Nothing to worry about, It's just some redneck American wanna be. I have encountered two people with confederates flag on their vehicles in the past year. One got a little weird at the intersection in his pick up truck giving me dirty looks and saying something, I had my wife and daughter in the car so i just ignored him. I actually felt embarrassed for him. What I wish would happen is that these rednecks here that think its cool to drive around with a confederate flag, I wish they would drive down to the US and get knocked out. Americans would have every right to do so. I read an article last year that at a country music fest in Saskatchewan there were confederate flags everywhere. Another example of the culture confusion that SOME Canadians suffer from. No biggie don't sweat it, most racist are cowards, rarely will they ever do anything when by themselves.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
What are were you driving in? That is unsettling. I think I likely live in one the more whiter areas of the city. I am literally the one of the few non Anglo people living on my street ( very untypical for Toronto... especially Scarborough) and that would hugely concern me.

You never know what to expect. It only takes a few idiots. Some of my family lives in the USA in Las Vegas and has a Nazi symbols and racist stuff spray painted in their drive way as well as anti- Arab comments written. The ironic part is my cousins are fair, with blonde hair and green eyes and of Middle Easter Descent and my cousin's wife has blonde hair, blues eyes, fair skinned and Jewish. Some teens in the area decided they were going to become Neo-Nazis ( I guess there were not after school programs available). It took my loud mouth Trini Aunt to go over an call the kid out on what he was doing (she is one crazy lady) and she realized his parents were being pretty neglectful ex. never home and never anything to eat. Now he is her best friend because she invites him over to eat dinner sometimes lol.

Honestly a watched a few documentaries about the modern KKK in the USA. I already warned my husband who is not Canadian and has an accident. If we are ever driving through the backwoods USA and he is see those flags in the area or any of the other KKK related stuff if anyone asked where he is from ( he has an accent)... say he is from Quebec/ French Canadian and get the hell out of their fast.
What you see via the media and reality are two very different things. You might be amazed at how nicely your husband would be treated in "Backwoods USA", wherever that is. You might just fall out of your chair.

As for after school programs, there are plenty. Sadly, there are plenty of bad parents too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada