Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times

Advertisements

So i guess some one figured out we Canadians need an American style rightwing news channel akin to America's Fox news network.I think its going to be a big flop as Canadians in general just dont get into political news shows like they do stateside.
Hope Glen Beck's upcoming departure from Fox news isnt so he can anchor his political style show in the great white north
Any other Canadians think this kind of news network is best left in the states or is it just what we need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 PM

398 posts, read 732,465 times
Sounds like rubbish to me, I hope it flops.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 PM

I'll give it a short view as i'm curious what a rightwing news channel will have to say when the reigning government is already conservative..

Old 04-19-2011, 10:30 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,273 times
I'm actually looking forward to it.
For the most part, our media is pretty much monotone. The opinions voiced on CBC, Global and CTV are not markedly different from one another. The only real dissenting opinion (right or wrong) in print media has historically been the Sun chain. So, I'm not at all opposed to an opposing voice.

I'm glad they brought Ezra Levant on board, as he's generally very sharp and very consistent in his political views (he's certainly no CPC cheerleader on many issues). Now, if they could only lure Rex Murphy from the CBC.

There does seem to be a little bit of sensationalism, though I think that was to be expected, especially early on (have to get ratings somehow). Hopefully that doesn't get any worse.

What I haven't noticed yet (thankfully) is the general dumbing down of concepts that seems to happen on American stations (on both sides of the issue). From the few bits I've caught, there's been some reasonably nuanced views taken. Hopefully, that continues.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Does Sun News have an anti-Quebec (or at least an anti-PQ) bias?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Does Sun News have an anti-Quebec (or at least an anti-PQ) bias?
Curiously enough, they are quite anti-Quebec and don't limit it just to the PQ. A lot of the Quebec bashing originates there. And yet they are owned by Québécor, which is a huge Quebec media conglomerate run by a semi-nationalist by the name of Pierre-Karl Péladeau, whose wife is one of the queens of Quebec showbiz.

Guess it's all about knowing your clientele.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,799,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Curiously enough, they are quite anti-Quebec and don't limit it just to the PQ. A lot of the Quebec bashing originates there. And yet they are owned by Québécor, which is a huge Quebec media conglomerate run by a semi-nationalist by the name of Pierre-Karl Péladeau, whose wife is one of the queens of Quebec showbiz.

I don't think most of the news network owners or talking heads actually believe what they are saying. It would be interesting to know what they really think of their audience.

1957 Face in the Crowd /message in movie - YouTube

Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Any particular show where this Anti Quebec bashing occurs or is it just scattered throughout the entire channels programming,

Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any particular show where this Anti Quebec bashing occurs or is it just scattered throughout the entire channels programming,
I've watched, it's scattered, and he's quite right about it.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:54 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,571,571 times
Anything sun does is crap. Their newspaper is a piece of crap and their TV network is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada