U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM

320 posts, read 384,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbnelson View Post
I have my really old "Landed immigrant" status from when I was little and moved to Canada, my parents never turned that in when we moved back to the States. In addition to that I have a ministers permit from when we lived there after we married. Like I said I have my SIN number but I probably do need to see about getting it renewed. I have lived back and forth between the two counties my whole life. But not a Canadian Citizen yet.

my youngest kids need their Canadian citizen born abroad (or the Canadian equivalent of the US doc) but yes, that is on my list as well.
thanks for the input!
You should double-check. Since you're married to a Canadian you should be okay. I only bring it up because I was in the same position:

I was a Landed Immigrant but when I moved back to the U.S. I had to fill out form called something like "Returning Immigrant." When I didn't move back to Canada within two years I lost my Landed Immigrant/PR status. I remember well Canadian Immigration at the Toronto airport ripping this (then expired) document out of my passport. I also had to sign something explaining why I was not going back to Canada. It was not ambiguous. I think they even confiscated my SSI card. This all happened in the mid-1990s before US citizens could become dual citizens. I'm still bummed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 11,625 times
Hello, everyone! Here's a question I hope someone can answer. My whole story is a lot more complicated too explain up front, but basically I lost my status and am planning to restore it as a visitor. Being told I cannot stay in Canada after my restoration period ends (Dec. 29) lest I face deportation and/or "blacklisting" by more than one person, I quietly bought a one-way ticket out of here for Dec. 28. However, the lawyer I've been consulting (although he's been assisting me very well otherwise) didn't clarify that once I submit a restoration application, I must wait in Canada until a decision is made, that it is allowed since I'm doing something about it rather than giving up my chances to remain in Canada.

Is this true? Am I allowed to stay until CIC responds (minimum 45 days, I'm told)? If I am, I could try postponing my departure. The other option is leaving and applying for a visa from overseas, but that poses factors of longer wait times, another expensive ticket, and my hypothesized risks at the airport with unfair officers.

Please help! As you might gather, I'm short on time. (But not because I've been idle! I've just been consulting multiple professionals and attempting other routes; other parties just like to take their time, sometimes...)

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 19,899 times
I have a question about sponsoring a non-Canadian partner...

My SO is currently studying in Vancouver, working on a doctorate degree. Although we've been together for over two years, we haven't lived together. I'm about to move to Ottawa for work so we're going to be long distance for now.

Ideally, my SO wants to finish his doctorate (3 years left) and then apply for PR and move to wherever I'm living once the degree is finished. Because of some health problems, I'm scared he might not be able to finish the degree though. His BA and MA are from Brazil and the US respectively, but he's a musician and I don't think it would be very easy for him to obtain a work visa without finishing some kind of education here... I don't think the Canadian government is desperate for more musicians...

If he were to have to drop out of school, could he move to Ottawa (or wherever I'm living) and be sponsored by me for PR? If we lived together for 12 months, I know that we could apply for common law status but I don't understand the legality of a non-Canadian moving to live with a Canadian after a student visa expires or is revoked. Would he have to apply for a visitors' visa? I'm assuming he wouldn't able to work during those first 12 months either...

If anyone has any insights or can link me to sources or threads that cover similar situation I would really appreciate it! This is something that's keeping me up at night haha :/

Old 03-25-2014, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 18,336 times
Default General Questions about marriage, PR and other things

First, thanks to everybody in advance for reading this and any advice help you can get.

Let me set the stage - I am an American Citizen and a teacher with a masters degree. My fiance is a Canadian Citizen (She is actually First Nations) and has the ability to come and go between the two countries as she pleases.

We have lived together in a common law relationship here in the United States for the past seven years. However, she just recently (first of the year) moved back to Canada due to some family having medical issues and her needing to take care of her family. I wasn't able to make the trip up with her, not only because I can't just go and "hang out" in Canada - plus I have a teachers contract that I need to fulfill (it expires in May).

Our long term goal is that I can eventually become a Canadian Citizen. After the three months my fiance has been back up there, she has pretty lost all motivation to move back to the states. I have always enjoyed the summers I have been able to spend up there and would very much enjoy living up there.

As a teacher, I do not believe that is a skilled trade... however pretty much everyone in her family is willing to sponsor me - and they do have the financial means to do so (They all either live in the Yukon or NWT) My goals are this....

(1) Get Married
(2) Be able to be in Canada for more than 90 days at a time (hopefully never having to go back to the states, as I am currently renting an apartment and would like to end that lease when my contract expires).
(3) Eventually find employment - at first it could be working at Tim Horton's, but eventually since I have a Master's degree, I would like it to be in the field of education either working at a college or university.
(4) Stay in the Yukon / NWT for five years and save enough to move to a bigger city buy a house and live the dream.

So therefore, I have a few questions about that.

1.) Would we be better for us to get married in Canada or the United States - or does it even matter?

2.) What would be the best route to stay in the country (Can I be sponsored to stay while waiting on my PR? Do I need a work permit to stay? Can I go to college and learn what I need to learn to teach while waiting on PR?)
3.) Any advice on moving items into the country? I don't own much - just a couple of tv's, some household goods, everything I own will it in my Ford Escape (which is the highest value thing I own)... How does that get handled in the short term - as I would like to bring those items up with me if I am allowed to stay for any period of time.

Also if anyone can provide any other advice, it would be awesome....

Thank you so much again for reading..

Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 11,132 times
i applied for Quebec migration and after the procedure, i got permanent residency status is that rule in Quebec allow to live travel and work any were in Canada?

Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 AM

20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glencybabyvengassery View Post
i applied for Quebec migration and after the procedure, i got permanent residency status is that rule in Quebec allow to live travel and work any were in Canada?
Yes you are generally free to move anywhere you want in Canada.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 PM

80 posts, read 98,244 times
How hard would it be for a fairly young (31 year old) single and childless guy to immigrant to Canada to work in entry level IT position? I'm pretty healthy and my only debt is student loans.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:44 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,791,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb122982 View Post
How hard would it be for a fairly young (31 year old) single and childless guy to immigrant to Canada to work in entry level IT position? I'm pretty healthy and my only debt is student loans.
Check this out: Immigrate to Canada

Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 AM

2 posts, read 13,545 times
Any Americans that have prior experience crossing through a point of entry to obtain a work permit under the NAFTA agreement? I'm preparing my documents and just wanted some peace of mind when that time comes in a few months from now. From my understanding the following documents are what I need to take.

1. Job offer
2. Proof of degree
3. Proof of licensure
4. Proof of wages
5. FBI Criminal Background Check
6. Medical Exam
7. Passport
8. Passport photos
9. 155 CAD

If there is anything missing please post. Thanks.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:23 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,791,876 times
Canadian Government announced this today:

Express Entry Program to Offer Fast Track for Skilled Immigrants

Quote:

The Canadian Government has announced reforms to its economic immigrant recruitment program, which, as of January 2015, will be operating under the name "Express Entry."

The program, formerly known as the "Expression of Interest" program, allows employers and governments to nominate workers for fast track immigration if their skills are deemed to be particularly in demand. They are able to skip the queue, thus allowing for "express entry," ahead of others who might have applied before them.

The new program will help to streamline the process, and allow for qualified workers to quickly apply for permanent residency once they have a job offer in Canada. Applications will be processed within six months, according to Immigration Minister Chris Alexander.

Qualified applicants would apply through Provincial Nominee Programs, which will require coordination and cooperation between various levels of governments as well as employers. Toward that end, the Department of Citizenship and Immigration has also announced plans for consultations across the country regarding the "Express Entry" program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or