U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 09:25 AM

717 posts, read 1,896,479 times

Advertisements

Hello and thanks for this thread. I have some questions about medium-term stays in Canada.

I'm a US citizen. I would like to rent an apartment in Montreal for a year. I will not need a job because I will have income generated in the US (from investments and renting out my house in Michigan while I'm in Canada). My questions:

--I understand that there is a 6-month limit for US visitors. Can I simply go back to the US for a short time and then return for another 6 months?
--If not, is there another way to stay longer without getting permanent resident status or a student visa? Temporary resident visas don't seem to apply to US citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 02:59 PM

6,015 posts, read 5,791,876 times
Hi Tuebor.

Quote:
--I understand that there is a 6-month limit for US visitors. Can I simply go back to the US for a short time and then return for another 6 months?
Legally, no, I don't think so since that is considered illegal immigration. If you get caught doing that it means you risk being permanently banned from ever being allowed entry into Canada again. A ban like that shows on your passport and travel record and might also have a negative effect on any travelling you may want to do to other countries as well. So you need to ask yourself if it's worth the trouble of being labelled as a travel risk and the risk of being banned from Canada and possibly banned from travelling elsewhere to other countries as well.

I know that we had one fellow posting here who tried that so that he could take advantage of earning a living from playing poker online in Canada, which is illegal in USA. I don't know if he's still in Canada though, I think perhaps not. He rented a place and got utilities accounts, etc., stayed for 6 months then returned to USA for a short while. His intention was to return to Canada and his rented apartment and online occupation after a week or two away in the states and stay for another 6 months. He posted just before he left Canada and then one more time before he was planning to return to Canada but we never heard back from him again after that. He was a frequent poster on this forum and since we never heard back from him I have a suspicion he got caught out on his attempted return or maybe intercepted by USA authorities because of his method of income, and may have been banned from ever returning to Canada. Or maybe worse. I guess if he ever posts here again we'll find out.

Quote:
--If not, is there another way to stay longer without getting permanent resident status or a student visa? Temporary resident visas don't seem to apply to US citizens.
A student visa might be your best option but I don't know how that would work, how often or where or what kind of classes you'd need to take to stay legit. I'd suggest you get in touch with immigrations authorities or an immigration lawyer and ask what other alternatives there might be that allow you to stay for a year.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 PM

Thanks! I figured if it was legal, someone here would have done it. I'll look into filing for an extension if I want to stay longer than 6 mos.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,570,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I know that we had one fellow posting here who tried that so that he could take advantage of earning a living from playing poker online in Canada, which is illegal in USA. I don't know if he's still in Canada though, I think perhaps not. He rented a place and got utilities accounts, etc., stayed for 6 months then returned to USA for a short while. His intention was to return to Canada and his rented apartment and online occupation after a week or two away in the states and stay for another 6 months. He posted just before he left Canada and then one more time before he was planning to return to Canada but we never heard back from him again after that. He was a frequent poster on this forum and since we never heard back from him I have a suspicion he got caught out on his attempted return or maybe intercepted by USA authorities because of his method of income, and may have been banned from ever returning to Canada. Or maybe worse. I guess if he ever posts here again we'll find out.
He posted on another forum that I follow. Different username, but the questions were the same, pretty much word-for-word: moving to Canada to play online poker because it was illegal in the US, problems with the wifi in his Montreal apartment, how to mail-order/import a computer into Canada from the US because buying a computer in Canada was too expensive, questions about cooking the chicken he bought at a Montreal supermarket, and so on. It was undoubtedly the same guy.

He lasted longer on that other forum than he did here. Based on what I saw from a search of his posts over there, he did return to the US after six months in Canada. From what I can tell, though, his plans to return to Canada fell through. Family reasons mostly; though there was also a New York State jury summons waiting for him (he was from NY). That may have delayed his plans to return to Montreal. Then, he started asking about moving to Mexico to play online poker.

Subsequent posts asked about Mexico also: the safety of the town he planned to move to, how to get his locally-purchased phone to display English instead of Spanish, and so on.

His last post to that other forum was in February 2015. I can only assume that he is happily playing online poker in Mexico.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:03 AM

6,015 posts, read 5,791,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
He posted on another forum that I follow. Different username, but the questions were the same, pretty much word-for-word: moving to Canada to play online poker because it was illegal in the US, problems with the wifi in his Montreal apartment, how to mail-order/import a computer into Canada from the US because buying a computer in Canada was too expensive, questions about cooking the chicken he bought at a Montreal supermarket, and so on. It was undoubtedly the same guy.

He lasted longer on that other forum than he did here. Based on what I saw from a search of his posts over there, he did return to the US after six months in Canada. From what I can tell, though, his plans to return to Canada fell through. Family reasons mostly; though there was also a New York State jury summons waiting for him (he was from NY). That may have delayed his plans to return to Montreal. Then, he started asking about moving to Mexico to play online poker.

Subsequent posts asked about Mexico also: the safety of the town he planned to move to, how to get his locally-purchased phone to display English instead of Spanish, and so on.

His last post to that other forum was in February 2015. I can only assume that he is happily playing online poker in Mexico.

Thanks Chevy. Yep, that gotta be the same guy.

LOL. An unlikely story about family and summons (but then what else would he say on a forum if he wants to save face?), I think it's more likely he actually got stopped trying to return to Canada again and was forbidden entry to Canada forever. Well, well, well. I think he'll be happier living in Mexico anyway, it's so much cheaper and money was a HUGE issue with him. LOL LOL.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 AM

Has anyone here ever filed to extend a stay as a visitor, as described on this link? Did it work?

I don't expect to stay longer than a year. I'd like to be able to sign a 1-year lease on an apartment and not have to sublet it after 6 mos.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:24 AM

43 posts, read 60,534 times
Hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to immigrate to Canada via "self-employment" route as a farmer, so that the farm would be purchased after immigration and with use of a loan for this purpose?

My husband and I live currently in Finland, but due ever tightening legislation on farming and owning guns/hunting and other reasons, we have been considering on moving away from here. We did own a farm, but the low prizes we get from our produce and high prizes of fuel and seeds forced us to sell our plots away, since we were on a verge of bankruptcy. My husband is a professional farmer (3 years of secondary degree school for this) and qualified organic farmer (requirement to sell products as organic) and I'm a professional groom (horses) with an emphasis on entrepreneurship and a high school diploma.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,983 times
I don't know in detail but there is a self-emoyment class for immigration, if you can support yourself. You can also try the points system route and see if your education and professional experience qualify you. Best to talk to a (good) immigration consultant about this.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:22 PM

43 posts, read 60,534 times
Thanks docwatson. Any recommendations of where to look for the consultant? I tried to find information and a way to ask about this from CIC pages, but without any success.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:57 PM

16 posts, read 17,927 times
Hi, I'm at the crossroads in my life regarding my future career. Long story short I want to work in the psychology field and I'm thinking about studying in US or Canada. What are the prospects of staying and working in Canada on a Master's degree in Psychology? I'm from the Scandinavian region and apperantly I cannot work over here on a foreign degree in Psychology without complementing a lot of things which could take several years in addition.

My plan is attending a community college in the States (my grades aren't top notch) and then transfering to a Canadian university after 2 years, I'm thinking Vancouver ,but location isn't really important right now. I heard transfering from an American CC to a Canadian uni can be problematic, true?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or