U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 13,128 times

Advertisements

I have been long distance dating my boyfriend since the end of 2010. I've visited a few times, with my last visit consisting of most of the winter. I loved Canada, and I love being with him. If he simply lived in Montana, or even Alaska, there would be no issues. We would be happily married and already together. Here is the problem....I haven't had a job persay in years. Have I worked, yes...but it's been for room and board at a campground. I am a hard worker, but I for a long time, was of those people that had to work on my own time due to health problems that come and go. Most of the time now, I'm fine and I do believe if there was an opportunity, even if it was to clean toilets somewhere, I could do it if I need to. I might be lucky enough to get anywhere from 10-20g to take with me, but that is a longshot. I own a small amount of land at this campground given to me for work I have done that I am going to try to sell. I will likely be assisting my future husband on his land in Alberta where he wants to start doing some kind of farming, which I am decent at. We also both share an eye for spotting antiques (he rents booths at a few shops). Finds I made while there, he's been steadily profitting from. I'm a decent landscaper and gardener, but have no resume other than the letter of recommendation I will leave with.
What bothers me, and how this might get very complicated where I may be judged harshly, is that I have been on Government assistance for a disability(one that I learned to maintain very well). I would have gotten off of it, were it not for lack of any jobs I can actually do for money, here in backwoods WV, where I now reside, along with not having a vehicle. Without that money, I would not be able to purchase basic needs. As I said, my work only gives me a home and some meals. I have always wanted more for my life, and was promised that if I worked hard enough here, when the business took off, I would be on a salary. By no fault of the person who made that promise, and only because of a bad ecomomy, this land as a campground...well flopped.
Another possible complication, I also have a child. Hopefully her father will be alright with her going to Canada, and I understand if he isn't, that could be a real problem. For now I'll be optimistic that the problem won't come from her father. Can I just show up this fall if he is good with me taking her, and expect to be allowed to put her in school there?
It's painful to have to ask permission of people who don't even know me, to get permission to be with the man I love, and have a life, but that's the hand I've been dealt.
What it comes down to, is I have so many things that I can offer to the life of this Canadian citizen or we would not be doing this. We have more in common than we're likely ever to find with anyone else on this planet. He has a good job, and I am good at completing all the projects at home he would do if he had time. I believe together we could probably start a decent business, but if not we're still o.k. He has a steady job and has for years, and easily meets the financial requirements that I read in the application process for sponsorship, and has no fear of my coming, even if I was not technically employed. Are you allowed to come to Canada and be a housewife, or is an actual job mandatory?
What I need to know, if I throw caution to the wind, marry the man of my dreams, give up my current home/job, sell my stuff, cancel my benefits that allow me to at least minimally feed my daughter and I, to become the wife of a man who has no issues financially taking care of a wife and child, will I end up losing everything and being sent back to the U.S. and end up with nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:40 PM

179 posts, read 635,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannesmith View Post
I have been long distance dating my boyfriend since the end of 2010. I've visited a few times, with my last visit consisting of most of the winter. I loved Canada, and I love being with him. If he simply lived in Montana, or even Alaska, there would be no issues. We would be happily married and already together. Here is the problem....I haven't had a job persay in years. Have I worked, yes...but it's been for room and board at a campground. I am a hard worker, but I for a long time, was of those people that had to work on my own time due to health problems that come and go. Most of the time now, I'm fine and I do believe if there was an opportunity, even if it was to clean toilets somewhere, I could do it if I need to. I might be lucky enough to get anywhere from 10-20g to take with me, but that is a longshot. I own a small amount of land at this campground given to me for work I have done that I am going to try to sell. I will likely be assisting my future husband on his land in Alberta where he wants to start doing some kind of farming, which I am decent at. We also both share an eye for spotting antiques (he rents booths at a few shops). Finds I made while there, he's been steadily profitting from. I'm a decent landscaper and gardener, but have no resume other than the letter of recommendation I will leave with.
What bothers me, and how this might get very complicated where I may be judged harshly, is that I have been on Government assistance for a disability(one that I learned to maintain very well). I would have gotten off of it, were it not for lack of any jobs I can actually do for money, here in backwoods WV, where I now reside, along with not having a vehicle. Without that money, I would not be able to purchase basic needs. As I said, my work only gives me a home and some meals. I have always wanted more for my life, and was promised that if I worked hard enough here, when the business took off, I would be on a salary. By no fault of the person who made that promise, and only because of a bad ecomomy, this land as a campground...well flopped.
Another possible complication, I also have a child. Hopefully her father will be alright with her going to Canada, and I understand if he isn't, that could be a real problem. For now I'll be optimistic that the problem won't come from her father. Can I just show up this fall if he is good with me taking her, and expect to be allowed to put her in school there?
It's painful to have to ask permission of people who don't even know me, to get permission to be with the man I love, and have a life, but that's the hand I've been dealt.
What it comes down to, is I have so many things that I can offer to the life of this Canadian citizen or we would not be doing this. We have more in common than we're likely ever to find with anyone else on this planet. He has a good job, and I am good at completing all the projects at home he would do if he had time. I believe together we could probably start a decent business, but if not we're still o.k. He has a steady job and has for years, and easily meets the financial requirements that I read in the application process for sponsorship, and has no fear of my coming, even if I was not technically employed. Are you allowed to come to Canada and be a housewife, or is an actual job mandatory?
What I need to know, if I throw caution to the wind, marry the man of my dreams, give up my current home/job, sell my stuff, cancel my benefits that allow me to at least minimally feed my daughter and I, to become the wife of a man who has no issues financially taking care of a wife and child, will I end up losing everything and being sent back to the U.S. and end up with nothing?
Hey Joanne,

I understand your frustration, it's horrible when bureaucracy gets in the way of love, but sadly that's just the way it is and we all have to get in line and do things the right way. I'll try to help you with some answers.

To qualify you need to be in a common-law relationship for at least a year or be married.

Regarding your disability, it doesn't make you inadmissible so no problem there, also sponsored persons of the family class (spouses, children) are exempt from inadmissibility due to excessive demand to healthcare, so don't worry about that either.

The only thing is that you have to prove that your relationship is real and was not entered in order to gain a benefit under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (in this case, Canadian permanent residence). This will be done by you providing a mountain of evidence such as photos, emails between both of you, family testimonials and basically whatever you can think of. The fact that you're getting money from the government might cause Immigration to scrutinize your application a bit more and they might ask you a few more questions, but it doesn't make you inadmissible since your sponsor will sign an undertaking with the government in which you're not eligible for welfare or disability money for 3 years after landing in Canada, otherwise he'll have to pay that money back.

Regarding your daughter, you'll have to fix that issue before starting your application. You have to include her in your application whether she's coming to Canada with you or not, if she isn't then you just don't pay the fees. If you choose to not disclose that you have a daughter, you can be charged with misrepresentation and lose your permanent residence.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Btw I just checked my application online and it has been updated saying that the Medical results have been received, so at least I know my case is moving forward

Old 06-06-2012, 09:56 PM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
I know my frustration will show through in this post, but....
If:
-- the U.S. and Canada are supposed to be such allies
-- If Americans are supposed to be free to come and go as they please

...why do I free trapped like a rat in a cage.

I know the U.S. is a great country, but sometimes I dream about just leaving this friggin country. Sometimes I feel like it's going to pot -- declining from inside.

I'd like to move to Canada (for the most part just like the U.S. only better?)
Am I looking at Canada through rose colored glasses?

I went to the page about preferred jobs/professions that Canada will let in . Of course mine isn't listed.
I'm a professional journalist, 25 years experience.
Sometimes I'm just so done with the U.S. But I am NOT up to some 2-5 year process to get into Canada.

Other than trying to find a news network to hire me... any other suggestions? (Also the that like it is in Italy where the company basically has to say there's NO canadian they can find to do the job or can they hire who they want?)

(I also saw the article about all the cab drivers having college degrees)

I hope there's some encouraging news...

What about if I wait until I retire so that I don't want to WORK there, but retire there?

Old 06-07-2012, 01:45 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,849,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know my frustration will show through in this post, but....
If:
-- the U.S. and Canada are supposed to be such allies
-- If Americans are supposed to be free to come and go as they please

...why do I free trapped like a rat in a cage.

I know the U.S. is a great country, but sometimes I dream about just leaving this friggin country. Sometimes I feel like it's going to pot -- declining from inside.

I'd like to move to Canada (for the most part just like the U.S. only better?)
Am I looking at Canada through rose colored glasses?

I went to the page about preferred jobs/professions that Canada will let in . Of course mine isn't listed.
I'm a professional journalist, 25 years experience.
Sometimes I'm just so done with the U.S. But I am NOT up to some 2-5 year process to get into Canada.

Other than trying to find a news network to hire me... any other suggestions? (Also the that like it is in Italy where the company basically has to say there's NO canadian they can find to do the job or can they hire who they want?)

(I also saw the article about all the cab drivers having college degrees)

I hope there's some encouraging news...

What about if I wait until I retire so that I don't want to WORK there, but retire there?
Retirement has a better chance since you are not planning to work in Canada, just purchase a property and maybe patter around. In this area, lots of houses are bought by Americans for cottages and/or for the future retirement. Not sure how many times one can one extend visitor's visa if you have property in Canada.

Regarding "the list", I have experienced the same level of frustration for my sister, whose occupation is either not on the list, or she doesn't have it deep enough (for example, general biology instead of bio scientist). And, she is spending the best years age-wise getting nowhere. I know those who possess laser-focused determination, WILL find a way - either by getting a new profession off that list, getting a job offer, or arriving as a student and while a student, getting a job, or by learning a smudge of French to get through the supposedly easier Quebec immigration program. But she is one of those who doesn't have that perseverance: if my profession is admissible, great, if not - oh well.

For example, would one chose to get educated in a trade and work in a trade for a year JUST because it is on the list? Some would, some are city women on heels who shudder at the thought of pipefitting. Too bad, since this is what gets you in nowadays.

Since the system is changing and they say there will be no list set in stone (a huge canyon between generalized "professions we need" and the reality of each commuity), but an ad-hoc list, we will see how that will change things.

Last edited by nuala; 06-07-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,538,159 times
Could I visit Canada for two months and just live off my SSI income from my bank card if I stay with a friend up there at least part of the time? Would the border patrol be okay with that?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Could I visit Canada for two months and just live off my SSI income from my bank card if I stay with a friend up there at least part of the time? Would the border patrol be okay with that?
Never mention the word "live" to a border patrol guard. That's like saying "bomb" at an airport.

Americans can travel to Canada and stay there for up to 6 months at a time as long as they're not working illegally. I would personally just make it look like a weekend trip or something. They won't make a big deal, but you can certainly understand that if you tell him that you plan on "living in Canada for a while" he might think that you don't plan on leaving, which could make him deny you entry into the country.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:10 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,538,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Never mention the word "live" to a border patrol guard. That's like saying "bomb" at an airport.

Americans can travel to Canada and stay there for up to 6 months at a time as long as they're not working illegally. I would personally just make it look like a weekend trip or something. They won't make a big deal, but you can certainly understand that if you tell him that you plan on "living in Canada for a while" he might think that you don't plan on leaving, which could make him deny you entry into the country.
But will I get in trouble if I say I am just staying a few days, and then I'm not back in the USA until two months later?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
But will I get in trouble if I say I am just staying a few days, and then I'm not back in the USA until two months later?
No you wont. Americans can stay up to 6 months at any given time. Just make sure you know what to answer. The guy might just say "Alright, Welcome to Canada and have a good day" or if he's having a bad day he might ask where you're going, who you're staying with, how much money do you have on you, etc.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
Thanks so much. This is all great info. I'm getting excited at just the possibilities.
Quote:
Americans can travel to Canada and stay there for up to 6 months at a time as long as they're not working illegally.
Quote:
Never mention the word "live" to a border patrol guard. .... They won't make a big deal, but you can certainly understand that if you tell him that you plan on "living in Canada for a while" he might think that you don't plan on leaving, which could make him deny you entry into the country.
Quote:
Retirement has a better chance since you are not planning to work in Canada, just purchase a property and maybe patter around. In this area, lots of houses are bought by Americans for cottages and/or for the future retirement. Not sure how many times one can one extend visitor's visa if you have property in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or