U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 13,389 times

Advertisements

i have bf from canada,we planning to married any body know how to make easy all for document?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

65 posts, read 156,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adurbis View Post
...However, please be careful about misrepresenting yourself at the border, i.e., if you get a US passport and enter Canada as a "tourist" while you intend to stay permanently, this is not legally permissible (the same rule applies, btw, for Canadians entering the US) It is called dual intent, and a border official is within his/her rights to refuse you entry if they think you are actually an immigrant and not a tourist.

From CIC website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/resourc...p/ip08-eng.pdf

5.29. Dual intent
Under the concept of dual intent, the fact that a foreign national intends to apply for permanent residence does not preclude a stay of a temporary nature if the applicant intends to leave and await processing abroad. However, their reason for coming to Canada should be for a temporary purpose and officers should be satisfied that they would leave at the end of their authorized stay.
It is inappropriate to issue a temporary resident permit to an inadmissible person simply to allow them to make an application for permanent residence from within Canada.
Actually, I have questions about that. I'm planning to take a vacation there in Canada in a few weeks and you got my wondering about the border crossing.

I don't have a U.S. passport yet but, I WILL get one before going there. What can you say about the "misrepresenting yourself at the border" Once I get my U.S. passport and enter Canada as a "tourist" will the border control be worried and refuse you for any reasons or will try be nice and let you in to enjoy your vacation? I rather not have any complications at the border and just have a great vacation.

Also, one more thing, what kinds of general questions will the border control asks? If someone is going to take their vacation trip there, do they must tell the border control where they are going and how many weeks are they planning on staying? Or usually it doesn't matter to them about that? Just curious because there is some cities and towns that is hard to pronounce. Anyways, thanks.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 06-20-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,941,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Actually, I have questions about that. I'm planning to take a vacation there in Canada in a few weeks and you got my wondering about the border crossing.

I don't have a U.S. passport yet but, I WILL get one before going there. What can you say about the "misrepresenting yourself at the border" Once I get my U.S. passport and enter Canada as a "tourist" will the border control be worried and refuse you for any reasons or will try be nice and let you in to enjoy your vacation? I rather not have any complications at the border and just have a great vacation.

Also, one more thing, what kinds of general questions will the border control asks? If someone is going to take their vacation trip there, do they must tell the border control where they are going and how many weeks are they planning on staying? Or usually it doesn't matter to them about that? Just curious because there is some cities and towns that is hard to pronounce. Anyways, thanks.
If you are going for a vacation and say you are going for a vacation you are not misrepresenting yourself. Of course they will let you in. Some of the questions they might ask are: "Where do you live? Where are you headed? How long will you be in Canada? Where are you planning to stay? Are you bringing in any alcohol, gifts or cigarettes? Do you have any firearms with you?"

And trust me, they are used to people mispronouncing things. Canada has a lot of weird name places.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM

25 posts, read 74,148 times
Default Questions on Immigrating to Montreal

Hereís my situation: Iím American, my boyfriend is Argentine (weíre a same-sex couple). We were living in Argentina, but for financial/professional reasons, I came back to the US a few months ago. Having him immigrate to the US is not an option, as itís not permitted to sponsor a same-sex partner as a spouse. Weíve been seriously considering Canada, and itís getting to the point where weíre ready to get the ball rolling. I love Montreal, itís one of my favorite cities, so it kind of seems like a logical choice. I took the Quebec online immigration evaluation for both me and my boyfriend (with me hypothetically sponsoring him as my spouse), and it said that we seemed to meet the selection criteria. With that in mind, I have a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on, because I havenít really been able to find much information.

1. I read, write and understand French very well, but my speaking is a little rusty. Iím pretty good with languages, though, and I figure after 2-3 months I could be back up to a high level of fluency just from being exposed to the language all the time. Are most employers forgiving of people who might not speak French perfectly at first? How is the job market in general right now? For what it's worth, I have a Masterís in Public Policy, but Iíve done everything from non-profit work to private sector research work to translation. Does anyone have any insight on how difficult it might be to find a job?

2. Along with one other person, my boyfriend owns his own company, which is incorporated in Argentina. He does all his work remotely, and they donít even have an office anymore. Would he be able to keep doing this in Quebec? Would it be possible for him to be employed remotely by a foreign company?

3. This one isnít immigration-related. Iíve been to Montreal a few times in the dead of winter, but it was a time of year when I would fully expect it to be really cold (January/February). I was born and raised in New England so Iím used to cold winters, but what Iím a little concerned about is the duration; how long does the really cold, snowy part of the year last?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:03 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Depending on how much interaction with the public maybe required you can probably get by most job applications on your current knowledge of French.
Partners remote working situation might get a bit complex as Canada will want him to file income tax returns and he will probably be required to pay Canadian income tax on monies earned.
Cold? count on Mid Dec to beginning of April as months that can bring the potential for severe winter conditions,How severe is entirely up to Mother Nature but temps in the -20F and 3-4ft snow falls are a potential..
Budget at least a year or two for the paperwork to be finalized on your immigration..
Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

And to get an idea of job availability in the Montreal area check out local newspapers and online job search engines like Monster.ca or Craigslist

\Job Search: Find a Job from Millions of Job Listings Online | Monster.ca

craigslist: montreal classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Best of luck

Last edited by jambo101; 06-21-2012 at 03:12 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
If you are going for a vacation and say you are going for a vacation you are not misrepresenting yourself. Of course they will let you in. Some of the questions they might ask are: "Where do you live? Where are you headed? How long will you be in Canada? Where are you planning to stay? Are you bringing in any alcohol, gifts or cigarettes? Do you have any firearms with you?"

And trust me, they are used to people mispronouncing things. Canada has a lot of weird name places.
To add/
These border guards have been entrusted with the safe keeping of the country and most of them take that responsibility very seriously,dont take any aggressive questioning personally they are just doing their jobs...
They may also ask "have you ever been arrested?" if you have your chances of gaining entry into Canada just took a bad turn,,
They also tend to give lone males a bit of extra scrutiny,Also these border guards are experts in the art of reading people,dont volunteer any unasked for information,no humor and dont break eye contact when answering questions.
Getting your US passport may take a few weeks to acquire so i wouldnt leave it to the last minute to start up the paperwork..
Hope you have a great trip 18wheeler and look forward to your review of Canada when you get back..

Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM

2,956 posts, read 3,759,379 times
As Edmonton is a working man's town, I'm interested in what your wife's three adult boys are doing for a living and they should certainly bring you up to date. Almost all twenty-something males I know hit the apprenticeship curve and are already Red-Sealed in the trades. Just like after WWII, and this is not going to stop for probably my remaining lifespan.

IT wise, if you're a contractor, i.e. self-employed, Canada is very much like the U.S.A. in that setting up your own business you have very few immigration barriers, and Alberta wants you.

Calgary likes the direct, walk-in and get known approach. IT and data? sheesh. You'll be working the first day you get here, not to mention the telecom industry. I could get a Richardson's ground squirrel a job in this town. Of all ciities to be if you want to work, this is the place.

Cats with or w/o fleas are negotiable. Other than that, too much information.

Go to the archives at Corporate Immigration Law | Canadian Immigration Lawyers | United States Immigration Lawyers | Toronto | Vancouver | Bellingham (the law firm of Chang & Boos, Bellingham Wa. and Toronto, Ont. and most of your enquiries are answered there.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,320,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schuylercat View Post
Details:
- My wife is Canadian. She moved down to the states after we met, and we got married in 1999.

So.
- My wife has a job offer at Foothills Hospital in their cardiac group. Pretty good money, just enough to support us all

Questions:
- Did anyone immigrate and use an immigration service?
- Since my wife has a job offer and can make enough for us all, can I go immediately with her and resume my job search locally, or do I have to wait down here forever?
Pack up and follow her to Calgary.
Once you are here in Canada, you can apply for a PR (permanent resident) status but you cannot work right away until you get your OPW (open Work Permit for spouses of Canadian citizens).

HR of Foothills Medical Centre should be able to assist you and your wife further.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 PM

123 posts, read 292,983 times
Default US Citizens working in Canada on contract??

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here has incite on a few subjects &/or pros/cons for US Citizens working in Canada. I'm sure some of the questions will sound silly or whatever. But, I'm just starting to do some research on the subject of working in Canada. Do if you have some constructive information to share or know of websites that might provide the information please share.

How does health insurance care/coverage work for non-Canadians living/working in Canada? Do you buy main or supplemental insurance plan from your employer, government or private company?

Are you required to pay income taxes in both Canada & the USA? Are non-Canadian's allowed to rent and or buy residential homes the same as Canadian Citizens?

How easy is it to get a spousal visa? How easy is it for a spouse to get a visa for part-time work or student visa/ permission to attend higher education?
Do dependent/minor children need visa's also or can they just stay with there passports &/or listed on there parents visa's?

Do non-Canadian's have to pay for there children to attend public schools? (I'm actually not sure how the school systems are set up in Canada currently.)

If I have a valid drivers license in in USA. But am planning to live in Canada for a year or more am I required to obtain a Canadian License & Car Insurance?

From what I can tell as long as pets such as dogs & cats are allowed to enter from the USA to Canada as long as they have all of the required vaccinations. Is this correct? Where might I look to find rules about pet reptiles & fish?

Any other things/topics/issues I might not realize or be aware of, that you would recommend looking into?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
Just go to cic.gc.ca and follow the links to download the application for Americans applying for temp working visa in Canada..

It might even make sense if the job works out well yuo may also want apply to have duo-citizenship.

yes American Citizens can buy homes in Canada just as Canadians Citizens can buy and own homes in the U.S.

How does health insurance care/coverage work for non-Canadians living/working in Canada? Do you buy main or supplemental insurance plan from your employer, government or private company?
Yuo would have to get private insurance up here and it works alot like it does in the U.S. but your employer may offer to cover you but that is up to the employer you plan to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or