U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 PM

903 posts, read 2,157,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannull View Post
I have a border crossing question.

I want to go to Winnipeg this spring, then go sightseeing in other parts of Canada. I may stay for a month or 5 months. I am just not sure, depends on where I end up going. I won't go over the 6 months.

I understand that I may be questioned about where I am going and for how long. It is also my understanding that border patrol doesn't like vague answers and expects precise answers. I guess I will give the answers I am sure about, such as going to Winnipeg for a couple weeks.

Now, here is my question, if I tell the border patrol I am only there for 2 weeks, am I obligated to leave in 2 weeks or can I stay longer? Will I be able to stay up to the 6 month limit?
No one will come looking for you after the 2 weeks end. Always best to be honest and up front when answering questions but if you overstay up to the 6 months you have broken no laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM

9 posts, read 47,081 times
Im an American whos very interested in being a roughneck entry level labourer for the Alberta/Fort Mac Oil Sands. I have a good amount of both indoor and outdoor labor experience and will get all requiered licensing/certification before heading up. There is a shortage of workers there and are even taking kids fresh out of highschool woth little/no experience.

Anyways, how much of a hard time am I looking at immigration wise? What type of visa am I most likely to obtain? How long will it last? And will these Oil Companies HR Dept. help/sponsor me with any of this?

There are apparently tons of unskilled American labourers at the Fprt Mac Oil Sands so it cant be impossoble.... I hope.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:15 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,811,269 times
Hopefully someone can give me a bit of advice.

My bf is Canadian/American (dual citizenship) and I'm an American citizen. At this time, we have no plans on marrying here, but eventually we'd like to live in the Vancouver area. We'd like to be able to live in the US and Canada (years here, years there, retire somewhere, etc) and we figured the "easiest" way was to get me dual citizenship also....so crossing would be easier as would be staying for any chosen length of time whether its a few months or a few years.

I know marriage doesn't mean citizenship in Canada, but I'm assuming it would help. If we were married here, would it matter at all to the Canadian government? Should we get married in both countries? After reading everything here, I know nothing is guaranteed, but we'd obviously be living there until I can get citizenship.

Thoughts? Worries? Things to watch out for? Things the immigration office would absolutely hate (like the fact that we'd like to live in both places eventually), etc?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 AM

363 posts, read 919,517 times
I have two questions. Thanks in advance.

1. While trying to apply for an off campus work permit, the website refuses my (good) credit card. The # it supplies me to call did not work. Do you have a good number to call to make this payment

2. Am I correct in thinking that I need a separate permit if I want an unpaid practicum internship through my school?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 AM

4,218 posts, read 7,849,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlmighty View Post
Anyways, how much of a hard time am I looking at immigration wise? What type of visa am I most likely to obtain? How long will it last? And will these Oil Companies HR Dept. help/sponsor me with any of this?
Your best bet is to contact either the oil/sand companies directly, or contact recruiting firms in Alberta (it is understandable that the companies themselves may outsource the pre-screening). The farther away you are from Alberta, the more you will see intermediaries, "training centers", "schools" to become a roughneck. Do not get sucked into them.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Hopefully someone can give me a bit of advice.

My bf is Canadian/American (dual citizenship) and I'm an American citizen. At this time, we have no plans on marrying here, but eventually we'd like to live in the Vancouver area. We'd like to be able to live in the US and Canada (years here, years there, retire somewhere, etc) and we figured the "easiest" way was to get me dual citizenship also....so crossing would be easier as would be staying for any chosen length of time whether its a few months or a few years.

I know marriage doesn't mean citizenship in Canada, but I'm assuming it would help. If we were married here, would it matter at all to the Canadian government? Should we get married in both countries? After reading everything here, I know nothing is guaranteed, but we'd obviously be living there until I can get citizenship.

Thoughts? Worries? Things to watch out for? Things the immigration office would absolutely hate (like the fact that we'd like to live in both places eventually), etc?

Thanks
From the Canadian point of view, a marriage is a marriage, regardless where it happened (you don't have to marry twice). The Canadian partner then can sponsor the spouse to be granted Canadian residence. That Canadian partner, obviously, has to be living in Canada and either working or having a nest egg (the sponsorship application mostly means that he would have to show financial means to support a spouse).

Even if you marry in Canada, by the rules the foreign citizen has to return to his/her country and wait for the sponsorship application to be approved. With Americans, it's a bit slacker: an American may be staying up to 6 months, then going, then coming back, while the sponsorship process is going on.

As of 6 days ago as well, (Oct. 25, 2012), you have to be married for 2 years before the Canadian spouse can apply for sponsorship (this is waved if you have kids):

Family sponsorship

Common-law partnership is also considered marriage for Canada Immigration. The partner may even stay in Canada with her Canadian partner illegally, while the process is going on. The emphasis is on the understanding that the Canadian partner permanently lives and works in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...-apply-who.asp

Quote:
You can apply as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or accompanying dependent children live with you in Canada, even if they do not have legal status in Canada. However, all the other requirements must be met.

You can also apply as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children live outside Canada, and if they meet all the requirements.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 PM

6 posts, read 14,926 times
Retired, living on a pension. Considering purchase of a small home in a community on the north shore of Lake Superior. What is possibility of applying for citizenship?

Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,811,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
That Canadian partner, obviously, has to be living in Canada and either working or having a nest egg (the sponsorship application mostly means that he would have to show financial means to support a spouse).

Even if you marry in Canada, by the rules the foreign citizen has to return to his/her country and wait for the sponsorship application to be approved. With Americans, it's a bit slacker: an American may be staying up to 6 months, then going, then coming back, while the sponsorship process is going on.

As of 6 days ago as well, (Oct. 25, 2012), you have to be married for 2 years before the Canadian spouse can apply for sponsorship (this is waved if you have kids):
Thank you for all that information. Very helpful. I'm sure we'll get married before we move up there. He plans to purchase some land soon, but I doubt he'll be working....but he does have a nest egg. I told him I probably wouldn't be able to work and he told me he didn't expect me to, so that's good to know.

And thanks for the updated marriage bit. I'll have to keep up-to-date on all this stuff. Not sure when he wants to go, but at least we'll have a house. Do you know how long he needs to live there before he can sponsor someone?

Again, thanks for all the info. Very helpful. Reading the website isn't easy, lots and lots of rules....obviously.

As an American, the 6 months you spoke of, would I need a Visa? Or is that about how long I can stay w/o one? And I'm assuming he needs to be living there full-time too? This may be more complicated than I thought, since he lives here (America).

Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 11,000 times
Situations:
- I came to Canada for university study in Aug, 2009 (Ontario).
- Graduated this June and obtained a 3 year work permit.
- Now I start my full time work in Montreal, Quebec.

Questions:
- Does my work experience in Quebec count in applying for Canadian Experience Class?
- How can I prove that "no intent to stay permanantly in Quebec"?
- If I apply QEP? (Quebec Selection Class), what level of French I should master (has no basics on French, have to laern from scratch on a part-time basis)
- What would you recommend to apply for permanent residency, CEC or PEQ after one-year work experience, in my case?

Any suggestions is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjgirard View Post
Retired, living on a pension. Considering purchase of a small home in a community on the north shore of Lake Superior. What is possibility of applying for citizenship?
I don't think having a piece of real estate is a reason enough. Yes, people from all over the world can buy real estate here, mostly for temporary residence, but to become a landed immigrant - it's still the same process as for anyone without a property in Canada. There are 8 categories of immigrants, and you need to see if any of them suits your situation:

Quote:
See the requirements and the steps to apply in each category:

Skilled workers and professionals
For people who want to settle and work in Canada (outside of Quebec)

Quebec-selected skilled workers
For people selected by the Quebec government to settle and work in Quebec

Canadian Experience Class
For people who have recent Canadian work experience or have graduated and recently worked in Canada

Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people
For people who want to start a business in Canada

Provincial nominees
One of Canada’s provinces or territories can nominate you to settle and work there

Sponsoring your family
How to sponsor a family member to join you here if you are a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen

Live-in caregivers
For individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision

Refugees
For people in or outside Canada who fear returning to their home country

Immigrate to Canada

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or