Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 AM

701 posts, read 1,030,931 times

Advertisements

I've heard there's a growing arts scene there? Some folks are trying to make it an "arts hub"?

That sounds very cool and fun!

Are they succeeding? Is it a comfortable place to live, work and get around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,850,885 times
I don't live in Hamilton, but yes, it is a nice city. It has an overall blue collar vibe. Check out the views up on the escarpment (Hamilton Mountain). Lots of waterfalls nearby. Downtown has an authenticity to it, but also has some run down areas. Overall the city seems very safe however. The best part of the city is the area around McMaster University. Very nice. For quiet suburban living nearby, try Dundas, Ancaster, or Stoney Creek.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 AM

61 posts, read 194,480 times
The arts scene in Hamilton is definitely thriving. The unofficial motto making the rounds is "Art is the new Steel". About 6-7 years ago you started hearing more about people buying up buildings on James Street North and fixing them up one at a time. I've heard quite a few stories where the buildings were bought for $110,000 and the person lives upstairs with their store/gallery below. Every month on the second(?) Friday there is an arts crawl where they shut down the street and people open their galleries up all night. I grew up in Hamilton and James Street North was no great shakes at all, despite it being one of the major streets downtown. It really is amazing and goes to show how governments can have big visions but really James, Ottawa and Locke are three streets where individual people came in and did it slowly over time and actually changed the street and fabric of that neighbourhood.

I've got a few posts on Hamilton in here, if you are interested let me know and I can answer other questions. I moved back to Hamilton after 8 years in Toronto and am so happy to have moved back. It really truly feels like a city on the cusp.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
The arts scene in Hamilton is definitely thriving. The unofficial motto making the rounds is "Art is the new Steel". About 6-7 years ago you started hearing more about people buying up buildings on James Street North and fixing them up one at a time. I've heard quite a few stories where the buildings were bought for $110,000 and the person lives upstairs with their store/gallery below. Every month on the second(?) Friday there is an arts crawl where they shut down the street and people open their galleries up all night. I grew up in Hamilton and James Street North was no great shakes at all, despite it being one of the major streets downtown. It really is amazing and goes to show how governments can have big visions but really James, Ottawa and Locke are three streets where individual people came in and did it slowly over time and actually changed the street and fabric of that neighbourhood.

I've got a few posts on Hamilton in here, if you are interested let me know and I can answer other questions. I moved back to Hamilton after 8 years in Toronto and am so happy to have moved back. It really truly feels like a city on the cusp.
That sounds so cool! Thanks for the great info.

How about the music scene? Are there places for young bands to play? Are there a lot of good bands/artists around?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:33 AM

61 posts, read 194,480 times
My brother is in the music scene here but I am not as familiar with it. I do know that there are a few places like This Ain't Hollywood (on James North), the Casbah, Stonewalls, and the good old Corktown Tavern. I am sure there are tonnes more but like I said I am not as familiar with it.

This place has a good arts scene site. The Pearl Company | Theatre, Gallery and Arts Centre 16 Steven Street Hamilton ON 905-524-0606
I was there last Friday for an event and enjoyed myself.

On top of the arts scene there is a burgeoning food movement here. Slow food, local, organic, cool food trucks, grow your own etc. There is a guy who will harvest your backyard for half the take which he sells locally. Some friends are trying to get a food co-op off the ground here too and strike deals with local farmers.

I think the biggest issue with Hamilton seems to be that the municipal government is more interested in red tape than anything which frustrates many movers and shakers here. If things are succeeding, it is mostly despite government and totally due to individuals just pushing on. It has a tonne of possibility and it is great to see things moving forward here.

Here are some other sites that talk locally about The Hammer.
SSP: Local Hamilton - SkyscraperPage Forum
Searching for Answers to Hamilton's Love of One-Way Streets - Raise the Hammer

Old 05-17-2012, 08:37 AM

311 posts, read 1,136,118 times
I think it's cool that Hamilton is a nice, mid-sized separate city yet so close to Toronto for even more entertainment.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Sounds great! I think we'll be looking there. Thanks for all the fantastic info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada