U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:13 PM

396 posts, read 730,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, that is actually untrue, I'd argue it's the least anti-American province. English Canadians are culturally threatened by the US and have a sort of a passive aggressive attitude towards America and Americans. A combination of an inferiority and superiority complex, coupled with centuries of territorial rivalry in the expansion West, proxy wars, real wars, and fears of invasion mean English Canadians are pre-disposed to look negatively upon the US. It's a way of preserving and asserting independence. French Quebeckers, and to some lesser degree English Quebeckers for complex reasons I'm not going to get into, are more confident of their own identity and so less threatened by America. In my experience, Quebeckers have a great appreciation for, and interest in, the culture of the USA and in particular the North East to which the province has many historic ties. The confusion arises because, as English Canada feels threatened by American culture, French Canada feels threatened by English Canadian culture, in particular by the English language. Americans speak English, but French Quebeckers have nothing against them. At the same time, Quebec is also much farther to the left than any American state and Quebeckers tend to be pacifists (much like modern day English Canadians), so often disagree with US politics. But on the whole, I still feel Quebec is the part of Canada that is least hostile to the US, or at least certainly less than Ontario.
This is fine and all, but when you say english canadians, say white ontarian's. Westerners atlantic canadians are generally are pretty neutral, some love it others hate it, it's ontarians they have trouble with. In newfoundland, america, is just like this place you only ever here or see in movies or television. Sure people go there, but just as many or if not far more goto europe, middle east asia etc. Aside from trips to florida which is just a tourist trap and the ocaional border drive through, america, only exists on a screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 PM

21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Yes - but they don't tend to have that distinctively American biker look

http://rhianonbader.files.wordpress....-web.jpg?w=720
Exactamundo!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
This is fine and all, but when you say english canadians, say white ontarian's. Westerners atlantic canadians are generally are pretty neutral, some love it others hate it, it's ontarians they have trouble with. In newfoundland, america, is just like this place you only ever here or see in movies or television. Sure people go there, but just as many or if not far more goto europe, middle east asia etc. Aside from trips to florida which is just a tourist trap and the ocaional border drive through, america, only exists on a screen.
Surely you can't be serious.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM

469 posts, read 603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Yes - but they don't tend to have that distinctively American biker look

http://rhianonbader.files.wordpress....-web.jpg?w=720
The only thing I see lacking among Canadian biker veterans is long hair!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
There is more to it than that.

The Canadian guy might live somewhere like this:

http://www.realtysource.com/listing_...sold_image.jpg

The American version often lives somewhere like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HYqfgiKsl0...ag%2Bhouse.jpg

Not saying all Americans are like this (far from it), but for some reason the American prototype we are describing is something you rarely see in Canada.

I am not even sure that my local hardware stores even stock anything resembling the stern "keep out" signs, and I can't remember the last time I saw one (or even a softer no trespassing sign) on a private residence in this part of the world.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,164,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
What you rarely see in Canada are those ZZ top beards LOL

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Surely you can't be serious.
Not at all, st john's is two(three anywhere interesting) days travel from the border. That means if were leaving the country, it's flying somewhere warm i.e. Florida/cuba, or for work in a far away place.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Not at all, st john's is two(three anywhere interesting) days travel from the border. That means if were leaving the country, it's flying somewhere warm i.e. Florida/cuba, or for work in a far away place.
You said people in NL go to Europe, the Middle East and Asia as much if not more than to the U.S. This is simply not true.

The U.S. is a big place - when I think of Canadians travelling to the U.S. I am not necessarily talking about Bangor, Maine and Sweetgrass, Montana.

PS - At last check Florida was still part of the United States.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You said people in NL go to Europe, the Middle East and Asia as much if not more than to the U.S. This is simply not true.

The U.S. is a big place - when I think of Canadians travelling to the U.S. I am not necessarily talking about Bangor, Maine and Sweetgrass, Montana.

PS - At last check Florida was still part of the United States.
I said except florida, and this is for newfies in st john's. Maybe it's an age group thing, but I have tons of friends, that have gone to europe, worked in qatar, roommates that lived in germany, etc. Point is I'd have to think a while about anyone I know that's been anywhere besides florida. My main point is, I think of losts of reasons why people I know would goto europe or wherever. But I can't think of one reason why anyone would goto the us, other than going to a resort in florida, but it's just as often cuba, or domincan republic.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I said except florida, and this is for newfies in st john's. Maybe it's an age group thing, but I have tons of friends, that have gone to europe, worked in qatar, roommates that lived in germany, etc. Point is I'd have to think a while about anyone I know that's been anywhere besides florida. My main point is, I think of losts of reasons why people I know would goto europe or wherever. But I can't think of one reason why anyone would goto the us, other than going to a resort in florida, but it's just as often cuba, or domincan republic.
You did say Florida, sorry about that.

That said, I am not a rah-rah-rah pro-American person, but there are *tons* of things to see in the U.S. besides Florida: New York, Boston, New England in general, Savannah, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, etc.

Also, if there was that much interest in crossing the ocean, St. John's would have maby more direct flights than it has at the moment.

I will agree about Cuba and Dominican Republic, and probably Mexico as well.

Charm el-Cheikh, Torremolinos and St-Tropez, probably not so much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or