U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:04 PM

396 posts, read 730,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You did say Florida, sorry about that.

That said, I am not a rah-rah-rah pro-American person, but there are *tons* of things to see in the U.S. besides Florida: New York, Boston, New England in general, Savannah, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Santa Fe, etc.

Also, if there was that much interest in crossing the ocean, St. John's would have maby more direct flights than it has at the moment.

I will agree about Cuba and Dominican Republic, and probably Mexico as well.

Charm el-Cheikh, Torremolinos and St-Tropez, probably not so much...
My point wasn't that we hate america, it's quite the opposite to us it's just beyond our field of vision. It's really weird to be honest, growing up in another part of the island I was dumbfounded, by how distant even halifax seems living here.
To be honest it seems weird to me as well, but I think in part has to do with the skill sets of people living here. Most people either are looking for government jobs in the soft sciences or in resource extraction. Neither of which is really transferable across the border, unlike IT, or manufacturing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM

83 posts, read 243,898 times
There is no doubt that Southwestern Ontario is the most influenced part, particularly the extreme southwest. People in Windsor give temperatures in Fahrenheit, measure in inches, and have a slightly different accent than other Ontarians. The city is dominated by American media and somewhat isolated from the rest of Canada so it's bound to happen I guess.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:13 PM

218 posts, read 1,157,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
There is no doubt that Southwestern Ontario is the most influenced part, particularly the extreme southwest. People in Windsor give temperatures in Fahrenheit, measure in inches, and have a slightly different accent than other Ontarians. The city is dominated by American media and somewhat isolated from the rest of Canada so it's bound to happen I guess.
To be fair I find where I've lived, (southern Ontario....GTA and KW) the vast majority of people measure in feet/inches for height and pounds for weight. I don't know too many people who know how many meters tall they are or how many kilograms they weigh.

The only thing the metric system is widely used for measuring here by average people, weight-wise, is weed.

However, I can definitely see Windsor being more American culturally in many ways. The fahrenheit thing is a perfect example of that, I use celsius all the time as do most people. Interestingly my parents still use fahrenheit, likely a product of a bygone age before metric was really instituted in Canada.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,169,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum237 View Post
The only thing the metric system is widely used for measuring here by average people, weight-wise, is weed.

LOL!

Quote:
However, I can definitely see Windsor being more American culturally in many ways. The fahrenheit thing is a perfect example of that, I use celsius all the time as do most people. Interestingly my parents still use fahrenheit, likely a product of a bygone age before metric was really instituted in Canada.
We are, there is no doubt. If I go to Toronto, I'm told I sound like an American. Our local news station reports the weather in F & C. Detroit's local news gives us weather warnings....specifically addressing Windsorites. We root for the Tigers, Lions and Wings. All but a scant few of our radio stations are from Detroit. Heck, most people in Windsor will vigorously defend Detroit, when her own country has given up on her.
Look at this pic. Anyone who hasn't been here, would be hard pressed to know where the split is between us is........

Downtown Windsor-Detroit via Ouellette Avenue | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 PM

218 posts, read 1,157,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
We are, there is no doubt. If I go to Toronto, I'm told I sound like an American. Our local news station reports the weather in F & C. Detroit's local news gives us weather warnings....specifically addressing Windsorites. We root for the Tigers, Lions and Wings. All but a scant few of our radio stations are from Detroit. Heck, most people in Windsor will vigorously defend Detroit, when her own country has given up on her.

When you say "I'm told I sound like an American", what do you mean? Do you mean literally "sounding like" an American, as in having a different accent that is somehow distinguishable from the local "Canadian" accent? Or more in terms of general preferences, affiliations, teminology (ie fahrenheit) etc.?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM

All of the above...apparently. They were reacting as if I said something like "I'm an Amurikin!" Which.....so far as I can tell, not even Detroiters sound like that. I even got that comment when I went out to BC this summer. It didn't help that I hardly knew what the temperature was and had to keep asking when they'd say....."Oh, it's 26C out right now." lol

It doesn't bother me none. But I dunno....maybe I do? lol

Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM

26 posts, read 40,905 times
I've been through every province and also 15 or so US states. In my experience, Alberta comes off as more American than some US states. The cities look more American than in other provinces, because they have more American chain stores and far fewer locally-owned stores. As for the people, well, if you go back about 100 years, something like one in three people in the southern areas, like Lethbridge and even Calgary, were originally from the US.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 AM

^^^^ They don't call it Texberta for nothin'!

As for the heritage, that hold true for southern Ontraio as well.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:04 AM

455 posts, read 917,082 times
I've always found that aspect a bit ironic due to how far alberta's major cities are from the actual us border, compared to the other canadian majors vancouver, toronto, montreal which are all a hop-skip away comparitivly. Not to mention the region of the us it does border is among the least heavily populated ones in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or