U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM

686 posts, read 958,263 times

Advertisements

Canada is already a normative and moral power. Shame about your lard arsed neighbour, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleWA View Post
Open your doors to immigration from Western Europe and a little from Eastern Asia. Only lightly for Africa and the Middle East, taking only the best educated.
No racism in your post.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:54 PM

218 posts, read 445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
No racism in your post.
There's no place for Muslims fundamentalists in Canada or any other developed country.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imokay View Post
There's no place for Muslims fundamentalists in Canada or any other developed country.
I'm sure you have done the research into percentages of fundamentalists in the Muslim community and all the rest of the required studies.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 AM

7,242 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Austria does lack water. But Canada doesn't. We have the largest amount of water per capita in the world.
(I think you meant Australia, not Austria.) Canada may have the largest amount of water per capita in the world NOW but just because we have it doesn't mean we should have 3 times more people and use it up 3 times faster along with all our other natural resources. Canada has grown and populated conservatively and I like it that way. There's nothing wrong with being conservative and conservationist.

Sometimes pictures say more than words. Do I want Canada by night to end up looking more like the USA and some of these other highly populated countries? Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 47,509 times
Central and Northern Canada is almost empty

Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 8,140,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sometimes pictures say more than words. Do I want Canada by night to end up looking more like the USA and some of these other highly populated countries? Thanks, but no thanks.
Beautiful pictures!

Ah! Still, it has to be mentioned that our belt of life, from Nova Scotia through the Great Lakes to Alberta to southern BC is as illuminated

Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 AM

4,249 posts, read 8,140,728 times
Do I want Canada tripled in size? Personally, it's a not a simple question. Maybe someone gasping for fresh air in a metropolitan city has a more definite answer. Since I live in an area that is less illuminated on the above pic, I am grateful for the largely unknown beauty of the place that keeps the hordes away. BUT when it comes to practical matters, I am far from ready for a definite answer. A small rural school doesn't have resources to offer sports and arts enrichment. Small and large businesses sometimes act like monopolists. Highly specialized doctors have to be enticed to come here. A large business can bargain monetary concessions in exchange for establishing a branch. We miss the perks of scale. Having said that, these practicalities are -- STILL -- being offset by the beauty, peace, and solitude.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM

7,242 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Sweden View Post
Central and Northern Canada is almost empty
Almost empty of the creeping plague of humans, thank goodness.

There has to be some safe natural place left for all the wild flora & fauna to retreat to to escape the rapacious depredations of man.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:42 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Do I want Canada tripled in size? Personally, it's a not a simple question. Maybe someone gasping for fresh air in a metropolitan city has a more definite answer. Since I live in an area that is less illuminated on the above pic, I am grateful for the largely unknown beauty of the place that keeps the hordes away. BUT when it comes to practical matters, I am far from ready for a definite answer. A small rural school doesn't have resources to offer sports and arts enrichment. Small and large businesses sometimes act like monopolists. Highly specialized doctors have to be enticed to come here. A large business can bargain monetary concessions in exchange for establishing a branch. We miss the perks of scale. Having said that, these practicalities are -- STILL -- being offset by the beauty, peace, and solitude.
I totally agree with you!
However, judging from the picture, do you really see the beauty, peace and solitude taken away by 2X more people? Look at the US, no one can deny it still has plenty of beauty peace and solitude in many parts of the country, more than enough for its 300M people to enjoy.

Economies of scale and the natural beauty is not really an absolute trade-off. There can be a good balance. Fortunately, unlike small countries like the Netherlands or Belgium, Canada is able to achieve a better balance.

I don't know why people are so scared of 100M people. Most of us will be better off without sacrificing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or