U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth, I disagree, I think you're original plan would work nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM

38,877 posts, read 20,174,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You shouldn't go to Montreal without going to Quebec City. It's possible to do all these cities in 10 days, but I would suggest just doing one or the other. Either Toronto and Niagara Falls, or Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. Since you don't have a car, 10 days is too short. If you had a car, I would say spend one day in the falls, two days in Toronto, two days in Ottawa, three days in Montreal, and two days in Quebec City.
That sounds like a good idea ... Maybe I should just research my options but the Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa sounds like a great option.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 AM

903 posts, read 2,242,801 times
When are you planning this trip?

If I had to split this up into 2 trips I'd do the Ottawa, Montreal one in winter time and the southern part in the summer. But I am used to snow and cold..

A couple reasons
Visitor Information | Canada's Capital Region
Carnaval de Québec

Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 AM

1,723 posts, read 5,142,745 times
Ottawa and Montreal are extremely cold in the winter, but gorgeous in the summer. Of course, it depends what types of activities you want to do. If you like outdoor winter sports, then by all means go for it. I would rather be in Ottawa and Montreal in the summer though, because they are less humid and hot than Toronto and Niagara Falls and offer a more unique environment as compared to much of North America. Quebec City in the summer is absolutely gorgeous too and should not be missed. It really is the highlight of any eastern Canada vacation for anyone I know who has made that trip.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:19 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Ottawa and Montreal are extremely cold in the winter, but gorgeous in the summer. Of course, it depends what types of activities you want to do. If you like outdoor winter sports, then by all means go for it. I would rather be in Ottawa and Montreal in the summer though, because they are less humid and hot than Toronto and Niagara Falls and offer a more unique environment as compared to much of North America. Quebec City in the summer is absolutely gorgeous too and should not be missed. It really is the highlight of any eastern Canada vacation for anyone I know who has made that trip.
My guess is that this is a summer trip, but if it is a winter trip, Ottawa and Quebec City are definitely the two can't-miss cities in this part of Canada for winter pleasures. Followed distantly by Montreal and then Toronto fourth.

Ottawa and Quebec City really embrace winter and offer much more in that season than the other two cities do.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
When are you planning this trip?

If I had to split this up into 2 trips I'd do the Ottawa, Montreal one in winter time and the southern part in the summer. But I am used to snow and cold..

A couple reasons
Visitor Information | Canada's Capital Region
Carnaval de Québec
Thanks for the links ... I'll check those out. This will be a summer trip. I think I'll have to break this trip up in two but I'm not planning on winter though ... I live in Southern California and have NEVER seen snow and can barely tolerate our winter temperatures so I doubt if I'll enjoy winter in Canada.
Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up about the humidity in Ottawa/Montreal versus Ontario/Niagara Falls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
My guess is that this is a summer trip, but if it is a winter trip, Ottawa and Quebec City are definitely the two can't-miss cities in this part of Canada for winter pleasures. Followed distantly by Montreal and then Toronto fourth.

Ottawa and Quebec City really embrace winter and offer much more in that season than the other two cities do.
If I ever decided to brave a visit in winter, I'll look into Quebec City and Ottawa

Old 05-24-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thanks for the links ... I'll check those out. This will be a summer trip. I think I'll have to break this trip up in two but I'm not planning on winter though ... I live in Southern California and have NEVER seen snow and can barely tolerate our winter temperatures so I doubt if I'll enjoy winter in Canada.

If I ever decided to brave a visit in winter, I'll look into Quebec City and Ottawa
You would have a blast in the winter - something completely different. You'd probably feel like you are on a different planet.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 PM

903 posts, read 2,242,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You would have a blast in the winter - something completely different. You'd probably feel like you are on a different planet.
oh i almost forgot.. cabane a sucre...

Old 05-25-2012, 12:18 AM

Although I would like to visit Montreal and other portions of Eastern Canada ... I think I'll have to hold off for this summer as I am seriously concerned about the whole rioting issue (after reading a few articles and seeing some of the pics) and the CP strike that is affecting some VIA Rail service. Maybe if I were more familiar with Eastern Canada, I would know which areas to avoid and would feel more confident but traveling solo through Eastern Canada is not looking too appealing right now. Thanks for your suggestions everyone - I will definitely keep these things in mind maybe next year (if I don't make Europe) or the year after. Hopefully, things will settle down a bit.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Although I would like to visit Montreal and other portions of Eastern Canada ... I think I'll have to hold off for this summer as I am seriously concerned about the whole rioting issue (after reading a few articles and seeing some of the pics) and the CP strike that is affecting some VIA Rail service. Maybe if I were more familiar with Eastern Canada, I would know which areas to avoid and would feel more confident but traveling solo through Eastern Canada is not looking too appealing right now. Thanks for your suggestions everyone - I will definitely keep these things in mind maybe next year (if I don't make Europe) or the year after. Hopefully, things will settle down a bit.
Note that the protests are only taking place in the province of Quebec (Montreal, Quebec City), and so Ontario (Toronto, Ottawa, Niagara) are not affected.

Of course, it would probably be a shame to travel all the way to this part of the world and not visit Montreal and Quebec City...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or