Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times

Advertisements

I had collard greens and ham with cornbread and it was good, I liked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Where can you get friend chicken in Canada (besides KFC which hardly qualifies as southern food)?
Popeye's Chicken is awsome and I find it way better than KFC but it is a little spicy/hot if you have not had it before ...I know they are a few Chains here in Vancouver/The Lower Mainland but not sure about the rest of Canada...
Anyways here's a link.

Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits - New Orleans Cajun Fried Chicken Restaurant Franchise

Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
There's a southern restaurant (of sorts) in Moncton that serves sweet potato fries, BBQ chicken and BBQ ribs. They call themselves an "authentic southern BBQ restaurant" - but having never been in an actual authentic southern BBQ restaurant, don't know if that is accurate. Barnyard BBQ

Statistically Canada has a very low per capita consumption of sweet potatoes. The USA is actually really low as well on a world scale - 2kg per capita per year (http://www.cipotato.org/sweetpotato/facts/swtfacts.pdf) Bimbam is correct that Canadians aren't very familiar with them - I used to buy them all the time in Canada as they are healthier than regular potatoes and have a lower GI, but I was an exception. I had never seen a yam in my life until a couple of weeks ago (and that was where I live now, in the UK). I bought some sweet potatoes but noticed that some of them had a purplish peel rather than the usual orange. I chose some of them out of curiosity. Took them home, sliced them up and the purplish ones were white inside. I took photos.

They were really tasty and more potato-ey than the sweet potatoes. Collard greens: I have never seen these in Canada - we have lots of kale - not sure if that is similar?

Sweet potatoes are the orange ones, yams are the purples.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 05-23-2012 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: add clarification to photo

Old 05-22-2012, 06:08 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,364 times
Collard greens are similar to Kale.

WOW@ people never seeing a yams or collard greens in Canada. I eat them all the time (not collard greens, too bitter for me).

Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,630 times
I think there is some confusion in Canada regarding the difference between a Yam and a sweet potato. Most Canadian people I know have had the orange variety but not the white.
People in Canada eat dark, leafy greens but wouldn't know them as "collard greens". It is in the same plant family as kale, I believe, which is growing in popularity in Canada.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
As an side, the other really popular cuisine in the Southern US, Mexican cuisine, is also rare and generally not of the quality people from, say, Texas, would be used to being able to get, although it is more popular and well known than Southern. I've heard Southerners complain about not being able to get good Mexican in Toronto, and they're probably tops in Canada for the variety of word cuisine.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM

328 posts, read 997,086 times
Swiss Chalet offers a mashed sweet potato which is really delicious. They should consider making it into a pie.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
I don't think southern food is popular or really known at all in Canada other than a few restaurants hitting a niche market. It isn't ubiquitous.

I never grew up with sweet potatoes, or collard greens or grits, or biscuits. But Super Store has both yams and sweet potatoes, labelled as such, although without looking it up, I can't remember which is which or how they differ. I think it is mostly the yam I use in certain dishes (bright orange, thick skin, very sweet).

If I remember correctly, both sweet potatoes and yams require a longer growing season than we have here, and therefore until recently, it wasn't readily available and people didn't develop a taste for them.

I've never had grits - it's some sort of corn, I believe, and I read once that it is similar to polenta (?). Never had collard greens. I have had biscuits with gravy in the US and they were okay, but I didn't get why they are so popular as a food item.

I think the idea of southern food in Canada is pretty much limited to fried chicken, and I'm not sure if our fried chicken is southern style. I dislike chicken generally, so it's not an item that I would seek out.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,057 times
Netwit is right, the only exposure we have to Southern foods is niche restaurants that typically center around New Orleans cuisine...Big Daddies in Toronto is pretty good, but i'm sure that it is not exactly authentic NOrleans cuisine.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:24 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't think southern food is popular or really known at all in Canada other than a few restaurants hitting a niche market. It isn't ubiquitous.

I never grew up with sweet potatoes, or collard greens or grits, or biscuits. But Super Store has both yams and sweet potatoes, labelled as such, although without looking it up, I can't remember which is which or how they differ. I think it is mostly the yam I use in certain dishes (bright orange, thick skin, very sweet).

If I remember correctly, both sweet potatoes and yams require a longer growing season than we have here, and therefore until recently, it wasn't readily available and people didn't develop a taste for them.

I've never had grits - it's some sort of corn, I believe, and I read once that it is similar to polenta (?). Never had collard greens. I have had biscuits with gravy in the US and they were okay, but I didn't get why they are so popular as a food item.

I think the idea of southern food in Canada is pretty much limited to fried chicken, and I'm not sure if our fried chicken is southern style. I dislike chicken generally, so it's not an item that I would seek out.
LOL re the yam vs the sweet potato - see my photo (post 13) - the sweet potato is orange (and orange interior) and the yam is purple outside white inside). You are right about the long growing season (and I believe needs really high temps as well) - I wanted to try growing some but after reading what they require, decided not to even try it. I AM growing okra this year - that's typically southern isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada