U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I think it is important to point out that religious dogma aside, there are many other Canadians who are completely non-religious and see abortion not as a religious issue at all but as a denial of civil liberties to unborn children.
True. The late essayist, and prominent Atheist, Christopher Hitchens was a good example of just such a person, and his secular arguments against abortion are rather eloquently expressed in some of his works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 AM

242 posts, read 439,160 times
Abortion will always be a debate. There are two sides to it and I can understand both. Women technically SHOULD be given a right to choose what they want to do with their body. Who is the state to tell someone what they can and cannot do with such a private matter. If a girl feels like abortion is a morally unethical thing then she probably won't do it and end up having the child. The point is this: some women are raped and end up getting pregnant. Other women are not meant to have children and would not be able to provide for one and accidents do happen. So abortion should always be available for those who seek it. That's my opinion. I can totally see the other side of the debate about taking a life... It's a slippery slope that's for sure.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:27 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,162,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Abortion will always be a debate. There are two sides to it and I can understand both. Women technically SHOULD be given a right to choose what they want to do with their body. Who is the state to tell someone what they can and cannot do with such a private matter. If a girl feels like abortion is a morally unethical thing then she probably won't do it and end up having the child. The point is this: some women are raped and end up getting pregnant. Other women are not meant to have children and would not be able to provide for one and accidents do happen. So abortion should always be available for those who seek it. That's my opinion. I can totally see the other side of the debate about taking a life... It's a slippery slope that's for sure.
Yes. And let's leave it there. As you have said, it will always be a debate and as this thread is about What is Canada like - and the forum is the Canada forum. Any further discussion on the subject will be respectfully directed to the Great Debates forum.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 06-24-2012 at 04:39 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 AM

34,395 posts, read 41,499,470 times
What is Canada like?
Went for a drive cross country last summer, something i havent done in a while, it reminded me what a huge and diverse country Canada is,abounding in spectacular scenery from coast to coast and some of the friendliest people you're ever likely to meet.i feel privileged and proud to live in such a place eh!

Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM

65 posts, read 161,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Most of our population resides close to the American boarder. There is lots of open space north of major cities...we have urban sprawl just like the states--- but we do have small downs and our rural red neck culture is still alive and well. My dream is to get out of Toronto and back to a more simple life near some water..It used to be that if you had a meager income you could be comfortable in the sticks...I hear that it has changed and you have to go further north if you want the good simple life...

Canada still has places of escape...if you have the money- and if you don't you have to look harder and be more innovative and clever....funny - the more I talk to Americans on line the more I think I want to live there...but- I believe going north is the answer..............or out the poor east coast where there are no jobs but it is beautiful...
Well, us Americans have different thoughts about our nation. Maybe, you might like living in U.S or maybe not. I'm an American and can tell you alot too but, some good and mostly bad, guess that depends on where you go. Just to be clear, North is beautiful...but, trust me when I say this. East coast is NOT poor. The more west coast you go, the poorer you will see (except for California). There's alot of jobs in the East coast and west coast...the thing is, you need experience to get anywhere, anymore. If you have experience and a U.S. citizen..you can get any job out there. However, if you have experience but, not a U.S. citizen well, yes there is no jobs to get. Anyways, don't think the east coast is poor. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia Beach, Virginia actually has money. They just choose to spend it wisely, lol.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM

250 posts, read 550,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Anyways, don't think the east coast is poor. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia Beach, Virginia actually has money. They just choose to spend it wisely, lol.
I think he meant Canada's Atlantic Provinces. Except for Newfoundland's recent oil wealth, they are poor and have been for some time.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM

Oh yeah, I think he meant 'America seems like a nice option', but he thinks Canada's economically challenged east coast or Canada's sparsely populated North are where he should ultimately go.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:12 PM

12,335 posts, read 10,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
No, I don't think he is. This man has started many threads in this forum over the last couple of weeks, asking the right questions to gain insight into Canada's history, culture, and place in the world. It's clear to me that he's done his homework and knows quite a bit about Canada. He's been civil, genuinely curious, and insightful. I don't think he speaks from a place of ignorance regarding Canadian society. The fact of the matter is, he's a religious right Southern conservative who is very much against abortion. I imagine, Chris, that when you look at Canada you see a society where most peoples values legitimately are at odds with the things that you believe in. As such, I think his characterization of Canada is fairly consistent with his expressed worldview. It's not a worldview I share, and it's true that we hold different values and are coming from different places culturally, but I get how he could think that about Canada while at the same time having a pretty strong understanding of it.

One question, Mr. Balducci, if you'd humour me and satisfy my curiosity. While you might disapprove of our politics and social structure, you've shown admirable curiosity and seem interested in all sorts of aspects of our country. What do you like about Canada? I know you couldn't see yourself fitting in in Canada, but would you find it edifying to go on a trip to any part of it? I think this is a relevant question on the topic of "What is it like in Canada" because it gives the view of a foreigner with a challenging perspective.
I think he needs a long trip to Canada to counter the claptrap he has been fed by his religous teachers down in good ol Mississippi. He needs to see how a truly progressive country does almost everything better than Mississippi without all the crazy religion thrown in your face everywhere. I would feel much more at home in Canada than MS.

Trust me, his views here would be quite foreign as well, and is part of the reason why so many here in my area despise the South. You think you have division in Canada? Ha! I've heard quite a few folk in my region openly wish the South would secede and leave the rest of us Americans alone to move the country forward. His views are very different to the people in my region, and he doesn't speak for all Americans particularly on politics and religion. Recently when his state had a vote on the "personhood" amendment, I wish he could have heard some of what his peers (I assume he is a young adult) here were saying about his state.

Oh and Chris, I would never, ever consider living in MS where your personal religious beliefs are forced down my throat in work, at home, etc, and where denying govt assistance to the poor is a "family value".

Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM

65 posts, read 161,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
I think he meant Canada's Atlantic Provinces. Except for Newfoundland's recent oil wealth, they are poor and have been for some time.
Yeah, I wasn't soo sure about which coast he was talking about..So, just got caught up in that moment, lol. It happens Anyways, what is it like in Newfoundland's? heard about a few bad things about it but, sure there is some good also...right

Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Yeah, I wasn't soo sure about which coast he was talking about..So, just got caught up in that moment, lol. It happens Anyways, what is it like in Newfoundland's? heard about a few bad things about it but, sure there is some good also...right
It is a very old culture with rich heritage and unique ways of life. It's economically troubled and there's alot of remote villages in need of infrastructure and good jobs, but the oil boom is bringing some prosperity, especially to the capital city of St. John's. The people are notoriously friendly and warm and the place is very safe (except for the polar bears and moose, those are significant hazards, actually.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or