U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:17 PM

65 posts, read 161,571 times

Advertisements

Also, heard something about the Fog which people says it's too dense at times over in Newfoundland. Pretty sure that can be a significant hazard as well. I know here in the U.S the fog will make things run un-properly on electronics and in newer vehicles systems. I had problems with my 2006 chevy cobalt because of the dense in the fog. So, what are some areas in Canada that usually has less fog or no fog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:46 PM

250 posts, read 550,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
Also, heard something about the Fog which people says it's too dense at times over in Newfoundland. Pretty sure that can be a significant hazard as well. I know here in the U.S the fog will make things run un-properly on electronics and in newer vehicles systems. I had problems with my 2006 chevy cobalt because of the dense in the fog. So, what are some areas in Canada that usually has less fog or no fog?
There isn't much fog in Calgary. I would guess that most prairie cities are close to fog-free.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:54 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Quote:
Fog is pretty rare away from places that aren't on the coasts. Fog happens occasionally in inland cities, but not often. So fog's no worry in like 99% of Canada.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:56 PM

312 posts, read 946,033 times
Yeah the prairies don't have a lot of fog. I would assume there would be more fog in areas with higher humidity. So Quebec and Ontario would have it but the prairies would have less.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM

250 posts, read 550,051 times
Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't soo sure about which coast he was talking about..So, just got caught up in that moment, lol. It happens Anyways, what is it like in Newfoundland's? heard about a few bad things about it but, sure there is some good also...right
This is focused on St. John’s….

There are two things about Newfoundland that really suck:

1) The weather is awful. Although the winter temps are usually higher than most of Canada (apart from the West Coast), it isn't mild by any means. Winders are cold, snowy and wet. Summers are short. St. John's is Canada's wettest, snowiest, windiest and foggiest (how can a city by windy and foggy? ) major city.

2) It is very isolated. Newfoundland is a beautiful rock in the North Atlantic, but it very far from anywhere. Want to drive from St. John's? How does a 12 hour drive accross the province, followed by a rough ferry ride sound? Or (in the summer) a short drive followed by an even rougher ferry ride. This brings you to the bustling metropolis of Cape Breton Regional Municipality.

Airlines flying out of St. John’s are often very expensive.

Everything you consume has to be brought in….from a long ways away.

But.

The city of St. John’s is beautiful, and walkable.. The people are friendly. The culture is rich and unique. The economy is strong.

Worth a visit for sure. Highly recommended.

Would I live there again? Probably not, but maybe…

Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM

65 posts, read 161,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
This is focused on St. John’s….

There are two things about Newfoundland that really suck:

1) The weather is awful. Although the winter temps are usually higher than most of Canada (apart from the West Coast), it isn't mild by any means. Winders are cold, snowy and wet. Summers are short. St. John's is Canada's wettest, snowiest, windiest and foggiest (how can a city by windy and foggy? ) major city.

2) It is very isolated. Newfoundland is a beautiful rock in the North Atlantic, but it very far from anywhere. Want to drive from St. John's? How does a 12 hour drive accross the province, followed by a rough ferry ride sound? Or (in the summer) a short drive followed by an even rougher ferry ride. This brings you to the bustling metropolis of Cape Breton Regional Municipality.

Airlines flying out of St. John’s are often very expensive.

Everything you consume has to be brought in….from a long ways away.

But.

The city of St. John’s is beautiful, and walkable.. The people are friendly. The culture is rich and unique. The economy is strong.

Worth a visit for sure. Highly recommended.

Would I live there again? Probably not, but maybe
Lol, it's bad enough it will take me 12-30 hours to drive to Canada (depending on which ways.) Instead of driving another 12 hrs or more to get to Newfoundland. However, why would anyone wants to live there for, especially all the things you mention? Then again, like you said about people being friendly, the culture is rich and unique and the economy is strong. Yeah, guess it will still be nice for a visit for 3 days though. Not really sure about living there too. I'm surprise that there isn't a bridge there to cross into Newfoundland, wouldn't that would be costly taking a ferry across all the time? (assuming). I really can't blame anyone for wanting to move out of St. Johns. Unless you were born and raised, so it's home for them I guess.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:23 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Quote:
Lol, it's bad enough it will take me 12-30 hours to drive to Canada (depending on which ways.) Instead of driving another 12 hrs or more to get to Newfoundland. However, why would anyone wants to live there for, especially all the things you mention? Then again, like you said about people being friendly, the culture is rich and unique and the economy is strong. Yeah, guess it will still be nice for a visit for 3 days though. Not really sure about living there too. I'm surprise that there isn't a bridge there to cross into Newfoundland, wouldn't that would be costly taking a ferry across all the time? (assuming). I really can't blame anyone for wanting to move out of St. Johns. Unless you were born and raised, so it's home for them I guess.
You couldn't build a ferry to Newfoundland, it's 714 kms (about 500 miles) from the nearest landmass with any serious population (Cape Breton). That'd be completely impossible and would take about whole day to drive across anyhow.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:53 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You couldn't build a ferry to Newfoundland, it's 714 kms (about 500 miles) from the nearest landmass with any serious population (Cape Breton). That'd be completely impossible and would take about whole day to drive across anyhow.
Most of the bridge talk for Newfoundland involves a crossing from Labrador across the Strait of Belle-Isle. This is much narrower (not sure how many km though but definitely feasible).

Then, you would have an eastward extension of Quebec Route 138 within NE Quebec and across the border from Blanc-Sablon into Labrador to link up to the new bridge.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 AM

18,277 posts, read 10,377,134 times
Quote:

But; dad-gum-it; the city offers many wonderful amenities if you've got university age children or have the need for a wonderful hospital. You cannot walk anywhere in St. Johns without being engaged in a friendly conversation. Your health would immediately improve regardless of the weather due to the far healtheir lifestyle being the norm.

Uphill walking is good for you and everywhere you choose to walk in St. John's is going to involve getting your cardio rate up there. At the end of your walk will be a pub with a bunch of folks all willing to chat up a storm and many better beers than you will find ANYWHERE south of the 49th. Of course you need to pick your pub so it's at the uphill end of your final destination. No one wants to walk uphill with a full load on.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But; dad-gum-it; the city offers many wonderful amenities if you've got university age children or have the need for a wonderful hospital. You cannot walk anywhere in St. Johns without being engaged in a friendly conversation. Your health would immediately improve regardless of the weather due to the far healtheir lifestyle being the norm.

Uphill walking is good for you and everywhere you choose to walk in St. John's is going to involve getting your cardio rate up there. At the end of your walk will be a pub with a bunch of folks all willing to chat up a storm and many better beers than you will find ANYWHERE south of the 49th. Of course you need to pick your pub so it's at the uphill end of your final destination. No one wants to walk uphill with a full load on.
I don't have anything against Newfoundland but is it really a shining example of a healthy lifestyle?

St. John's has the highest obesity rate of any major Canadian city:
The Slimmest and Fattest in Canada

What you describe is certainly a good opportunity to get fit, but obviously not everyone out there takes advantage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or