U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,165,626 times

Advertisements

I agree. My main contention is that some people have their drum to beat regardless of the original question, and will seize every opportunity to jam their foot in and start yammering all over again about their pet peeve. Whether that be pro- or anti-universal healthcare, it always erupts into the same mess.

Healthcare has been discussed, compared, sliced and diced in this forum to the point where everyone is sick of it. The OP didn't ask any questions about healthcare. The fiasco always starts with "Healthcare is not free in Canada it is paid for with higher taxes."

Gee really?

So let's head this one off at the pass. Here's the OP:

How is Canada and it's people? What is the weather and transport like and does it have any affordable small towns to live in?

And if anyone needs to have a refresher or regurgitate more healthcare arguments, please do a search. It's all been said before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:53 PM

396 posts, read 730,566 times
Canada geographically is a mirror of the northern states, so just pretend your moving to a northern city like detroit, minneapolis, seattle, rochester, buffalo, boston, hartford, boise etc.

The government structure is very different, and people generally are more in touch with their governments, as the population is much more spread out, one of the very few things that unites canadian's is our governmental systems. Not in a patriotic way, it's more on par with having a costco, ipod, or a visa membership. It doesn't define us but finds its way in all aspects of life.

Canadians, can be seen a equal portions of 4 different groups. French canadians, Immigrants/natives/minorities, suburban canadians(very much like americans), and Regional canadians. So sure you can say suburban canadians, are very much like americans. But the non white, and french canadians have culture very much their own. Regional canadians, of course is a vague term, as every province has it's own culture especially in the rural areas.

In short you can come to canada, and pretty much ignore 75 precent of the population, and say boom it's just like america, but the second you start talking about regional area's, things get a little bit weird and not uniform.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 PM

312 posts, read 946,860 times
Culture is pretty similar depending on which city. There are a few notable differences between Canadian and U.S. culture but not big enough for a culture shock (Unless you move to Quebec, where even other Canadian's outside of Quebec receive a culture shock.) Entertainment is pretty much the same (Music, TV, Movies, etc.) The biggest difference is politics and the government. That and of course weather and size. (Canada has a much smaller population. But, it is much larger area and is more spread out) The health care is much, much better in Canada.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:51 AM

396 posts, read 730,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
Culture is pretty similar depending on which city. There are a few notable differences between Canadian and U.S. culture but not big enough for a culture shock (Unless you move to Quebec, where even other Canadian's outside of Quebec receive a culture shock.) Entertainment is pretty much the same (Music, TV, Movies, etc.) The biggest difference is politics and the government. That and of course weather and size. (Canada has a much smaller population. But, it is much larger area and is more spread out) The health care is much, much better in Canada.
Although that is sorta true, I think if you compare the 10 provinces, with the 10 border states, you'll find the populations very similiar.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM

242 posts, read 439,362 times
Canada is awesome. We are miles ahead in human rights, civil rights (we don't just talk the talk, we also walk the walk). Minorities are better accepted here, a gay couple can walk down the main streets of Toronto or Montreal or even Vancouver completely not noticed. There's a greater level of acceptance. The people (in general) don't know how to give criticism, instead they will always be polite and voice their true opinions in private. And say what you want about Canadian health care being behind the US... the fact remains all Canadians on average live LONGER than Americans so we must be doing something right.

There is less focus on big business here. Our "Conservative" party is in about the same place on the political spectrum as the American Democrat party. There are greater taxes in Canada in exchange for greater services. Unlike the US, there is not "the poor side of the tracks" where it literally goes from million dollar mansions to slums in one street. Our poor citizens are taken care of to a better degree by the government. The rich aren't AS rich as the US, but you can still be very successful in Canada.

Canadians are extremely educated on world issues. We usually have a broad knowledge base of things going on within Canada as well as the US, and other parts of the world. We love to socialize, and our cities are hustling day and night. Cities like Toronto and Montreal are just as busy on weekends and at night as they are during business hours. People actually live in the big cities and love to be close to the city center for entertainment and food.

I've been to every US state, I own three condo's in the US... and I have to say that Canada is a whole new experience. It's a great country and I'm proud to be Canadian. As for the hate on Quebec... if people actually went to Quebec they would see a truly beautiful province. It's unlike anywhere in Canada. The culture is different, the people are unique and socially liberal. The acceptance of minorities is second to none. The food is some of the best in the country. The buildings are old (300-400 years old), with cobblestone roads and cities like Montreal and Quebec City would be a historians dream to visit. It's a great nation we have here. I hate when people divide it up and pit one area against another. From coast to coast, it's truly a gorgeous nation.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,165,626 times
Massachusetts health care discussion has been moved to the chat thread.
*Official Canada Chat Thread*

Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 PM

701 posts, read 897,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkro View Post
Been here in the US since I was born, but I am beginning to love it now a little less. Time and time again, I had thoughts on moving outside my country borders and I am new to investigating this. How is Canada and it's people? What is the weather and transport like and does it have any affordable small towns to live in? As bad as it gets here, I may be headed out. Thanks.
I was like you. Best move I ever made was getting the hell out of there.

Canadians just don't have a grip on how insane things are in the US now (how could they, in fairness? Heck, even most Americans don't quite get it yet).

The biggest difference I've noticed is that when things go wrong in Canada, they discuss it sensibly and they do something about it. You may not like what they do, but you can be assured that whatever they do it will at least not be completely insane.

Of course as you know in the US when things go wrong, we either pretend everything's fine (cause dammit we're the greatest freedom-loving, terrorist-killing country in the history of the earth - HELL yeah!), or we don't do anything about it because we can't because the government is so stopped up with obstructionism. And so the problems just become more and more severe.

Plus the people in Canada are so nice.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Not wanting to start an argument, but you present some inaccuracies.

As do you.

√ Vancouver is rife with racial issues, including some extremely violent (automatic firearms fire, etc.) Asian gang activity in Vancouver. Ditto for Winnipeg as I have read, with some fundamentalist Islamic gangs and neighborhoods.

Gun crime in Metro Vancouver highest per capita in Canada

B.C. Gang Task Force head tells anti-gang forum they are making inroads in stemming violence

√ Asian gangs and East Indian gangs thrive in many other towns & cities as well. To deny this is to be an ostrich!

Gang activity is not even 1/10th the problem it is in the USA. Probably not even 1/100th.

√ In YVR and other big cities, the salary ranges are in fact, higher, but so are the taxes, being about 15 - 20% higher to cover the high med insurance costs. In 1984 when I left, I was making >> $120k in YVR, but paid about 60% of my income over $60k to taxes! Yikes. Later when I made similar $$ in SoCal, I only paid about 34% on my higher income levels.

This is factually inaccurate. They're higher in the higher income ranges (because the US is pathetically low there compared to other developed nations). But a more modest income levels, taxation is much closer. Plus you actually, you know, get stuff for your taxes. Like health care, good transport, good schools. Stuff the US doesn't think anyone needs.

√ I now pay about $450/mo in medical insurance, but I am also on permanent disability. If I were not disabled, I wold be paying about $275/mo. Far lower, when you role in the differences in tax rate at my income level (now < $50k/yr). But still, I do not pay any deductible or co=pays at lal, ever even for Emergency Room visits, and I am free to go to any doctor I want. As well, the quality & technical level of coverage is far superior. I've witnessed the demises of my brother @ age 56, my mother @ 92 and my dad @ 98, in Canada, and while both my parents made it to old old age, their levels of care in their final nursing home lives was really inferior and frankly, uncaring, with sorta-worker-nurse type attendees who spoke very little English in attendance, and who routinely mistreated them both. My brother with regular health care, did not find out about his heart issues until it was too late, and he died, mysteriously, 5 days after quad-bypass surgery, and after they'd sent him home only two days after that procedure.

I highly doubt this. I have never heard of ANY insurance plan in the US that has NO deductible or co-pays and costs $275 a month and allows you to go to any doctor you want. If you can show me the website with this plan on it, I'll send you $1000.

As well, it took >> 6 mo for my mother to get a scheduled MRI in Vancouver, while down here, even in rural WA, I can get one tomorrow, and on a very new machine, a flat-bed open-sided Hitachi the likes of which they probably have only one or two of in all of Canada!

(Just FYI & for conversation: "There are more MRI machines in northern Vermont than in all of Canada!" Factual statistic from 2002.)

2002?? Now there's some serious cherry-picking of statistics! Plus I don't believe a word of it. What's your source?

√ The vast Over-Consumerist culture is exactly the same, if not worse, in Canada than it is, especially now, in the US. When Canadians eventually have their own recession due to over-consumption, perhaps they too will learn.

Another lie. Overconsuming is much worse in the US. Just come to Canada and look at the clothes on people and the cars on the road for example.

(See: N. Edmonton Mall, the largest consumer oriented mall in rthe world!)

"Consumer-oriented mall". And which malls would NOT be consumer-oriented?? LOL

Oh, and btw, the Edmonton mall doesn't even make the top 10.

√ Canadians are indeed, very outspokenly anti-American

More utter nonsense. There are plenty of Canadians who are anti American policy, but few are anti all American people, and almost no one will be "very outspoken" with you about it.

Canadian healthcare, technically speaking, is a few decades behind that available to anyone in the US!

Wow. Just wow. Are you not aware that there are almost 50 million people in the US without access to good health care? And "a few decades" behind???? You're completely out of your mind.

This guy is a perfect example of the way it's ok in America to just make stuff up and spout it as though it's true!

It's the way things are done south of the border these days. Pray Canada doesn't follow down that path!

Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,035,533 times
Ah, yes, that open-minded nature is just shining through here. You'll fit right in amongst the inappropriately angry types in Canada, qwerbilzak.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Ah, yes, that open-minded nature is just shining through here. You'll fit right in amongst the inappropriately angry types in Canada, qwerbilzak.
I'm not real open-minded to people making up nonsense and pretending it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or