U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,068 posts, read 4,316,130 times
Reputation: 6022

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Winnipeg, or thereabouts westward. I tend to think of Manitoba as partially central and partially western. I think the south west part of the province, nearer Saskatchewan fits well in the west. Further east and north may be more central.

If we're speaking about a cultural region, rather than a geographic one, it'd probably be worthwhile to exclude the Pacific Coast and the Far North from that, as well.
Trolling, stubblejumper? I object strongly to being lumped in with the centre of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I always viewed Manitoba as a buffer between God's country and those creeps and bums back east.
Say thanks, mikeyyc. That's what your Alberta money pays for - a buffer zone.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Lethbridge, AB
1,132 posts, read 1,289,750 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Trolling, stubblejumper? I object strongly to being lumped in with the centre of the universe.
I never said your part was central Canada
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 AM
 
3,061 posts, read 5,606,829 times
Reputation: 3222
Oh quit yer bickering kids LOL

The OP asked What is your definition of 'western Canada'?"

There's no right or wrong!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
5,088 posts, read 7,377,866 times
Reputation: 6014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Oh quit yer bickering kids LOL

The OP asked What is your definition of 'western Canada'?"

There's no right or wrong!
Sure, sure. Easy for you to say. England is just Southern Scotland, right? Or is it Eastern Wales?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
5,088 posts, read 7,377,866 times
Reputation: 6014
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Trolling, stubblejumper? I object strongly to being lumped in with the centre of the universe.



Say thanks, mikeyyc. That's what your Alberta money pays for - a buffer zone.
Well at least it went to something good. I'm hiding in the southern US now though. I'm a winter refugee. Permanently.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM
 
3,061 posts, read 5,606,829 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Sure, sure. Easy for you to say. England is just Southern Scotland, right? Or is it Eastern Wales?
Meh - could be - I've never thought about it much, seeing as I am a transplant! I am a herring choker born and bred

And as a herring choker, I used to be amazed that western Canadians called Ontario and Quebec "Eastern Canada" and people from there "Easterners"! To most Maritimers, the Atlantic provinces are eastern Canada, Ontario and Quebec are central Canada, Manitoba westward is western Canada.

So what's west or east kinda depends on where in Canada you live!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 01:06 PM
 
396 posts, read 548,940 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Meh - could be - I've never thought about it much, seeing as I am a transplant! I am a herring choker born and bred

And as a herring choker, I used to be amazed that western Canadians called Ontario and Quebec "Eastern Canada" and people from there "Easterners"! To most Maritimers, the Atlantic provinces are eastern Canada, Ontario and Quebec are central Canada, Manitoba westward is western Canada.

So what's west or east kinda depends on where in Canada you live!
Agreed easterner is so much better than being an atlantic canadian, far to many vowels.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM
 
312 posts, read 702,404 times
Reputation: 144
Western Canada is the Prairies. So Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. As well as part of the territories of course. When I think of Ontario in general, I would never think of Western Canada, I would think of Eastern Canada. I always found that the Prairies were what Western Canada was best described as.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 03:29 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,068 posts, read 4,316,130 times
Reputation: 6022
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Oh quit yer bickering kids LOL

The OP asked What is your definition of 'western Canada'?"

There's no right or wrong!
Heh - calling Manitobans eastern or disguising it as "central" - them's fightin' words.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
5,088 posts, read 7,377,866 times
Reputation: 6014
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Heh - calling Manitobans eastern or disguising it as "central" - them's fightin' words.
What conference is your football team in again?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2016, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top