U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 AM

5,698 posts, read 6,552,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to offend or certainly not bait or anything.

Coming from toronto native issues are rarely brought up directly here so it was just a shock to him regarding the situation he witnessed many of them in.

That incident i described is exactly what my brother recounted to me, i know him very well and he is not a liar and certainly not a racist. He was just very surprised by the overall situation he witnessed among the natives in the city. I just wanted to get the reality of aboriginal affairs in the city that is all.

ps. trust me a white hood wouldn't look good on me I'm from a racially mixed background myself.
Okay. In that case, I've already provided some links that might provide some insight into what your brother witnessed. That may have provided an extra dimension to what he saw - I don't know. I don't know where he was.

Yes, there are poor people, including aboriginals in certain areas of Winnipeg. And yes, there is crime among poor people of any race, as I'm sure you know. Poverty and despair are a bad combination anywhere, among any people. What you see in Winnipeg is not bad compared to what you see on a lot of reserves, not just in Manitoba, but across the country.

Perhaps the fact that the condition of many aboriginals in Canada is hidden from Torontonians is part of the problem. Personally, I don't think Canadians should stand for the conditions on the reserves while patting ourselves on the back internationally as champions of human rights.

Is your average person in a lot of danger from crime in Winnipeg? I would say no, as the majority of crime in criminal on criminal. So I think that there are two different issues being brought up here, and a perception that the condition of Winnipeg aboriginals are somehow different than the conditions aboriginals live in everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM

396 posts, read 731,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Unless you are suggesting that the First Nations people are genetically programmed to be thieves, poverty and the despair of homelessness certainly are reasons for what the OP's brother saw. What are you confusing in your post, is the issues that exist for aboriginal communities across Canada, and poverty of individuals in a city. In another city, it could be another race. The race is irrelevant to the poverty in the situation as described by the OP.
First off my genetic reference was to genetic issues in terms of a predeposition for alcoholism, and higher rates of mental health illness, due to smaller gene pools caused by european disease.

This is where Im getting confused, one minute your saying that reserve issues etc, are part of the problem another your saying this could just be any other race in canada. That is a contradiction, I think for sure there is a large element of legacy with this that goes beyond.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM

396 posts, read 731,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Okay. In that case, I've already provided some links that might provide some insight into what your brother witnessed. That may have provided an extra dimension to what he saw - I don't know. I don't know where he was.

Yes, there are poor people, including aboriginals in certain areas of Winnipeg. And yes, there is crime among poor people of any race, as I'm sure you know. Poverty and despair are a bad combination anywhere, among any people. What you see in Winnipeg is not bad compared to what you see on a lot of reserves, not just in Manitoba, but across the country.

Perhaps the fact that the condition of many aboriginals in Canada is hidden from Torontonians is part of the problem. Personally, I don't think Canadians should stand for the conditions on the reserves while patting ourselves on the back internationally as champions of human rights.

Is your average person in a lot of danger from crime in Winnipeg? I would say no, as the majority of crime in criminal on criminal. So I think that there are two different issues being brought up here, and a perception that the condition of Winnipeg aboriginals are somehow different than the conditions aboriginals live in everywhere.
Which is something even you seem to do, by trying to turn this into a race bait, and by saying this could happen to any other ethnic group.

Second this issue goes beyond just toronto, aside from saskatoba, I think natives are at a distance only usually found in rural areas.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,798,620 times
Canadians like to make out Winnipeg to sound like East St. Louis North.

While Winnipeg certainly has its issues, it is a much safer city than many places south of the border.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM

5,698 posts, read 6,552,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
First off my genetic reference was to genetic issues in terms of a predeposition for alcoholism, and higher rates of mental health illness, due to smaller gene pools caused by european disease.

This is where Im getting confused, one minute your saying that reserve issues etc, are part of the problem another your saying this could just be any other race in canada. That is a contradiction, I think for sure there is a large element of legacy with this that goes beyond.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Which is something even you seem to do, by trying to turn this into a race bait, and by saying this could happen to any other ethnic group.

Second this issue goes beyond just toronto, aside from saskatoba, I think natives are at a distance only usually found in rural areas.
Are you saying no other ethnic group is poor or intoxicated in Canadian cities? I've had beggars approach me in European cities. So how exactly is race relevant to the OP?

You're still confusing two issues - inner city poverty with the First Nations problem, which is a national problem, not a Winnipeg, or Manitoba/Saskatchewan problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Canadians like to make out Winnipeg to sound like East St. Louis North.

While Winnipeg certainly has its issues, it is a much safer city than many places south of the border.
Exactly.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:18 AM

88 posts, read 159,516 times
"As many as 70 percent of convicts serving jail time in Canada are aboriginal, even though they comprise just 12 percent of the population, the Toronto Sun reported."

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwor...-prisons-13390

Natives are criminals. Deal with it.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
"As many as 70 percent of convicts serving jail time in Canada are aboriginal, even though they comprise just 12 percent of the population, the Toronto Sun reported."

Wow. I would hate to be a non-criminal aboriginal Canadian then, and be unfairly labelled for stuff I never did just because of my origins.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 AM

5 posts, read 8,685 times
Winnipeg has the largest aboriginal population of all major cities in Canada (approx 10% of its population). According to the 2006 census, there were approx 68,000 aboriginals living in Winnipeg. In comparison, there were approx 27,000 aboriginals living in Toronto (0.5% of its population).

So, while the issues surrouding them aren't a particular problem of the city, they tend to be more visible there. The same could be said of Regina, Saskatoon or Edmonton.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:40 AM

455 posts, read 918,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post

Natives don't comprise 12% of canada's population its more around 4%. Being this source got that stat wrong i wouldn't trust the other either.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 AM

21,963 posts, read 27,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Natives don't comprise 12% of canada's population its more around 4%. Being this source got that stat wrong i wouldn't trust the other either.
Good catch.

The prison population number is way too high as well, although aboriginals do make up a much larger share of the incarcerated population than their population share would suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada