Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,918 times

Advertisements

My brother just came back from being 2 weeks in winnipeg for his job and the situation he described with the aboriginals there sounds horrendous.

Apparently almost everywhere you go there are homeless/ drugged up aboriginals who often come up to hassle you. From the people he talked to who lived there they are often prone to violence as well.

When he was in a restaurant with some co-workers an aboriginal women ran in and stole the tips right off their table.

Can someone familiar tell me what is going on there with winnipegs aboriginal population is it really this bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Feel free to grab your white hood on the way out the door.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM

395 posts, read 859,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Feel free to grab your white hood on the way out the door.
Excuse me , this is a real issue the last time I checked. Native imprisonment/crime rates, is no joke. Granted I know the situation isn't that simple, but these sentiments do not come out of thin air.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Excuse me , this is a real issue the last time I checked. Native imprisonment/crime rates, is no joke. Granted I know the situation isn't that simple, but these sentiments do not come out of thin air.
You're right, it is no joke. However perpetuating stereotypes and saying a native ran in and stole a tip off of a table is hardly the basis for starting a conversation about the challenges faced by the native population.

It IS the perfect way to start a conversation about race baiting and trolling though.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
You're right, it is no joke. However perpetuating stereotypes and saying a native ran in and stole a tip off of a table is hardly the basis for starting a conversation about the challenges faced by the native population.

It IS the perfect way to start a conversation about race baiting and trolling though.
Oh, AMEN!

Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Well there's no need to give into the bait, with comments like white hoods. Besides it sounds like his brother was simply surprised by it.

Seriously it's not a stereotype, it's a fact of life for many of these people. Hiding behind political correctness is a denial tactic, it's very real.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Well there's no need to give into the bait, with comments like white hoods. Besides it sounds like his brother was simply surprised by it.

Seriously it's not a stereotype, it's a fact of life for many of these people. Hiding behind political correctness is a denial tactic, it's very real.
Sure it's a stereotype - I've only been stolen from by white people. Maybe you are trying to say that poverty is a fact of life for many aboriginals. Including in the east, where reserves made the news for a long time due to the high suicide rate among aboriginal young people.

There is a perception that Winnipeg is an exceptionally dangerous city. In actual fact, most of the crime is criminal on criminal.

I haven't had the time to go to the city for a while and what the OP described is not something I've ever seen. I have had intoxicated aboriginal people (as well as intoxicated white people) approach me for money - which I always give with a friendly word, and in turn, at least half the time I am told, "Nice hair." I've never, ever been harassed or approached in a threatening way. My personal experience doesn't mean it couldn't happen, or hasn't happened, I am only saying it has never happened to me.

I am not saying that what the OP wrote didn't happen. It might have. There is a much larger concentration of aboriginals in Winnipeg due to the flooding we had last year and one reserve is almost completely flooded out and no one in the government seems to agree on how to fix it. I have heard speculation, don't know whether it is true, that there has been a rise in crime and people being harassed, due to the influx of people displaced by the flood.

Some temporary houses are now being built on/near the reserve but it is still a slow process.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sure it's a stereotype - I've only been stolen from by white people. Maybe you are trying to say that poverty is a fact of life for many aboriginals. Including in the east, where reserves made the news for a long time due to the high suicide rate among aboriginal young people.

There is a perception that Winnipeg is an exceptionally dangerous city. In actual fact, most of the crime is criminal on criminal.

I haven't had the time to go to the city for a while and what the OP described is not something I've ever seen. I have had intoxicated aboriginal people (as well as intoxicated white people) approach me for money - which I always give with a friendly word, and in turn, at least half the time I am told, "Nice hair." I've never, ever been harassed or approached in a threatening way. My personal experience doesn't mean it couldn't happen, or hasn't happened, I am only saying it has never happened to me.

I am not saying that what the OP wrote didn't happen. It might have. There is a much larger concentration of aboriginals in Winnipeg due to the flooding we had last year and one reserve is almost completely flooded out and no one in the government seems to agree on how to fix it. I have heard speculation, don't know whether it is true, that there has been a rise in crime and people being harassed, due to the influx of people displaced by the flood.

Some temporary houses are now being built on/near the reserve but it is still a slow process.
First off manitoba has one of the highest proportion of native peoples of any province. Flooding is just part of it.

Second native issues go beyond simply being poor, or comparison to other poor groups of people, aboriginal people's in any part of the world have very different issues.

The problems that exist are outside of poverty, have large parts to do with history, dependency caused by government policies such as the indian act and the newest trend simply throwing money at the problem, generation problems especially sexual abuse, genetic issues, cultural norms etc.

Trying to say they are just another poor group of people is missing the point.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,918 times
Sorry I didn't mean to offend or certainly not bait or anything.

Coming from toronto native issues are rarely brought up directly here so it was just a shock to him regarding the situation he witnessed many of them in.

That incident i described is exactly what my brother recounted to me, i know him very well and he is not a liar and certainly not a racist. He was just very surprised by the overall situation he witnessed among the natives in the city. I just wanted to get the reality of aboriginal affairs in the city that is all.

ps. trust me a white hood wouldn't look good on me I'm from a racially mixed background myself.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
First off manitoba has one of the highest proportion of native peoples of any province. Flooding is just part of it.

Second native issues go beyond simply being poor, or comparison to other poor groups of people, aboriginal people's in any part of the world have very different issues.

The problems that exist are outside of poverty, have large parts to do with history, dependency caused by government policies such as the indian act and the newest trend simply throwing money at the problem, generation problems especially sexual abuse, genetic issues, cultural norms etc.

Trying to say they are just another poor group of people is missing the point.
But this thread isn't about aboriginal issues in Canada - it is about one person's recent experience in Winnipeg. And to that issue, I am offering an explanation for the OP's brother's experience. Displaced people from a First Nation reserve is said to have added a dimension to the current situation in Winnipeg, which could account for the OP's brother's experience. When you have a bunch of people, with no place to call home, and nothing to do, stuck in the city for a long, long period of time, with no resolution in sight, problems will be magnified and transported from one place (the reserve) to another - Winnipeg.

Unless you are suggesting that the First Nations people are genetically programmed to be thieves, poverty and the despair of homelessness certainly are reasons for what the OP's brother saw. What are you confusing in your post, is the issues that exist for aboriginal communities across Canada, and poverty of individuals in a city. In another city, it could be another race. The race is irrelevant to the poverty in the situation as described by the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada