U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Exactly: basically the world knows that if they attack Canada (or Saudi Arabia or a host of other countries in which the USA has an "interest"), the USA would come to its aid. And all I can say to that is "Thank God!"
you are implying that Canada and Saudi Arabia are "protected" by the US, and US is some sort of the master of us?

Do you also know that US as a big country, will NOT protect others for free. You will have to do them for them in return.

Canada should pretend its own interest. You can never be sure Canada and US interests are always perfectly aligned, and the US will ALWAYS put is own interest before anything else.

I don't think Canadians as a pride nation should say "Thank God "(the US is behind us). We are not American colony or semi-colony, or no matter what kind of euphemism you use to describe the relationship. Canada should NEVER rely on other countries for national defense. If you reply on US and the US doesn't really depend on you, you are not in a good position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Unfortunately both of our federal governments do pretty much whatever the hell they want.
that explains it all. In order to have US at the back, Canada ended up supporting them no matter what, even though we don't want to.

I don't think it is a healthy relationship between two countries.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
What I meant by the last part is that it seems to me Canada has sent troops to conflicts where the United States was involved because we wanted them to. If the Canadian public had their way, I seriously doubt Canada would have ever been involved in Middle East wars.
did you mean "they wanted us to" instead of "we wanted them to"?

The US will never do anything, not to say get involved in a war, just because Canada wants it too. Only the other way around.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
The reality, though, is that Canada always has hard power at its disposal in the form of the U.S. military. Don't think that other countries don't know this.
Try convince the US to use its military for Canada when it doesn't want to.

When the US gets involved in a war, it is because they want to, and for their own interest. It was never because the US military is at our disposal, or Canada wants them to. Stop dreaming.

Canada and the US are two independent countries. Don't be native enough to think their interests are always the same.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Try convince the US to use its military for Canada when it doesn't want to.

When the US gets involved in a war, it is because they want to, and for their own interest. It was never because the US military is at our disposal, or Canada wants them to. Stop dreaming.

Canada and the US are two independent countries. Don't be native enough to think their interests are always the same.
Sometimes I feel like the US acts against its own interests sometimes to further Israel's goals, often in ways I'd consider irrational. To be honest, I've never totally understood the relationship between these two countries. The US doesn't seem to have a relationship like this with any of its other allies. I mention this only because I'm curious about the confluence of the US-Israel relationship and Canada's soft power influence and how we've used it historically and under the current Harper government.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Sometimes I feel like the US acts against its own interests sometimes to further Israel's goals, often in ways I'd consider irrational. To be honest, I've never totally understood the relationship between these two countries. The US doesn't seem to have a relationship like this with any of its other allies. I mention this only because I'm curious about the confluence of the US-Israel relationship and Canada's soft power influence and how we've used it historically and under the current Harper government.
Nor do I. Foreign policies are complicated. But one principle remains unchanged: a country has no "friends". Israel is America's ally in the mid east only because the US "needs" it to be there, and the US can gain from it. Israel, like several other countries in the world, is nothing but America's puppet. They listen to the US, and in return they got protection.

America's wars have never been about freedom or democracy, only idiots will believe that. Otherwise, the US government should be always busy with helping the poor African countries, instead of meddling with the oil rich mid east. Everything the US government does it out of pure selfishness. Period.

Why does the US press so hard against Iran? Because Iran doesn't give a rat's a$$ about what the US says. The US seems to have no problem with Israel having nuclear weapon, why? Sure, Iran is labeled as a rogue country - and many just take for it. How so? When was the last time Iran invaded another country? maybe 2000 years ago? Does Iran have its military base in 150 countries in the world? No. The US on the other hand has invaded multiple countries since WII, and still have military bases everywhere. It is really for world peace?? No, it is for hegemony. I've heard Canadians say "inspite of this, I prefer the US military everywhere so that we can be all safe." It is like saying "I don't mind the policeman stay in each of our households, so that nothing bad ever happens". Ironic?

coming back to Canada-US relationship. I am shocked to observe that many Canadians seem to believe US is our eternal friend and ally and that it will always be our side. Canada is a different country, no more than Greece, or Korea or Cuba for that matter. We look close only because we gain from being friendly with each other. Our interests can be aligned most of the time, but not always.

US poses no threat to Canada only because Canada is too small to challenge it in any significant way. Imagine if as I wish, someday Canada has a population of 100 or even 200 million and becomes strong enough to compete with it. Will the US like to see that? Of course not. It will do everything to prevent that from happening, just like what it did to Japan and is doing to China. The US prefers a small neighbour to to north, with the same ideology and little military power. It doesn't wish for the best for Canada, it only wishes the best for itself.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:39 AM

312 posts, read 945,401 times
Yes Canada is a Peacekeeping Nation and they have a Peacekeeping Military. I kind of like that but I definitely believe it should be reformed because so far, it does not seem to be very successful.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,157,024 times
Bottecelli: Sure we have a military and want to protect our own interests. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. No one is talking about "friends" or about us ordering the US military around.

When I referred to them protecting us if need be (or other countries) because of interest, I wasn't talking about interest as in a warm fuzzy friendship. It's all about money. No one is under any delusion of anything else.

The United States and Canada share the world's largest and most comprehensive trading relationship for both import and export. This trade supports millions of jobs in each country. Canada is the leading export market for over 70% of the U.S. states!!! Canada is in fact a larger market for U.S. goods than all 27 countries of the EU.

It all comes back to the buck. And energy to keep that big stars and stripes machine ticking. Speaking of which, Canada is the single largest foreign supplier of energy to the United States--providing 20% of U.S. oil imports and 18% of U.S. natural gas imports. Canada's oil sands make it the world's second-largest holder of reserves after Saudi Arabia....and hence the reason that the US has our back. The green back is the motivation - I wasn't suggesting they wanted to sit around a campfire and sing kumbaya and eat beaver tails with us.

Regardless: The OP is asking about soft power and moral persuasion to end conflict in the world so let's try to get back on that subject. "Peacekeeping" as part of NATO comes to mind. I know Canada has played a major role in that. It also has a "stabilization and reconstruction task force" with emphasis on soft power: http://www.international.gc.ca/START...ex.aspx?view=d

Last edited by sunshineleith; 05-31-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 AM

34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Any one remember a guy named Ken Taylor? i believe he used some of that Canadian soft power to get a bunch of American hostages out of Iran..
How about another Canadian Romeo Dallaire who tried unsuccessfully to talk sense into a bunch of Rowandans before genocide transpired.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:27 AM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Here's a lengthy and informative article about Canada's soft power. Well worth reading, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or